David Cameron Resigned

Day

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some positives today, hope he takes Gideon with him. But I fear who will replace him.

I was listening to 5 Live and he was described as the most socially liberal leaning Tory. If that's social leanings within the Tory party, I dread to think what the rest of 'em are like!

We get rid of an unelected leader in the EU, and we get a new one in the shape of the new PM.

Just now, Alpha said:

Give Farage a year and Cameron will be worshipped.

Farage?

He hasn't got a chance. We all know who's going to be the next PM.

boris-johnson-pic-rex-149163468.jpg

2 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Some positives today, hope he takes Gideon with him. But I fear who will replace him.

I was listening to 5 Live and he was described as the most socially liberal leaning Tory. If that's social leanings within the Tory party, I dread to think what the rest of 'em are like!

I think we all know what the rest of them are like.

Do we deserve a cabinet with Johnson as PM, containing Gove, Grayling, John Redwood, Ian Duncan Smith, Zac Goldsmith, Bill Cash, Jacob Rees-Mogg et al? Probably. The political equivalent of a hair shirt.

23 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Need to call a general election.

By law they can't. The earliest a general election can be held is 4 years after the previous one, even if all the cabinet etc step down this is why we have a deputy prime minister etc

2 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

By law they can't. The earliest a general election can be held is 4 years after the previous one, even if all the cabinet etc step down this is why we have a deputy prime minister etc

However, there are two provisions that trigger an election other than at five year intervals:

a motion of no confidence is passed in Her Majesty's Government by a simple majority and 14 days elapses without the House passing a confidence motion in any new Government formed

a motion for a general election is agreed by two thirds of the total number of seats in the Commons including vacant seats (currently 434 out of 650)

http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/elections-and-voting/general/

9 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Can't see it happening, too many mp's wouldn't want to risk losing their paychecks just because we want it. It'll be further convoluted soon as no doubt some mps will step down, thus triggering various by-elections around the country. as it stands there's 320 non-Tory MP's (and so 330 Tories), so you'd require a handful over 100 Tories to risk giving up their seat

He's only got himself to blame.  He was that desperate to win the last election he bated the public with the referendum and it's blown up in his face.  As with all Tories he's out of step with the mood of the nation.  

Saying that, you could also blame Labour for putting such a chinless wonder like Milliband in direct competition to him.  I voted Labour but felt ashamed about it.

19 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Change the law, a general election is needed. Reason being the whole political landscape is changing.

8 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Change the law, a general election is needed. Reason being the whole political landscape is changing.

Back to square one, you'd need mp's, the house of lords and the courts to all agree, plus officially in would still have to take into account EU law for now. If all them agreed it'd herald a new time of unity and I'd be both surprised and delighted for one

4 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Back to square one, you'd need mp's, the house of lords and the courts to all agree, plus officially in would still have to take into account EU law for now. If all them agreed it'd herald a new time of unity and I'd be both surprised and delighted for one

Apparently its quite easy

http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/elections-and-voting/general/

6 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

I suppose it's a case of putting yourself in their position here. You get guaranteed a job for a minimum of 4 years at a high pay, you are under no actual obligation to quit. You then get offered a chance to put yourself out to the public to decide whether you should keep that job that you were already guaranteed previously. That's why I can't see them allowing another election

11 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

I suppose it's a case of putting yourself in their position here. You get guaranteed a job for a minimum of 4 years at a high pay, you are under no actual obligation to quit. You then get offered a chance to put yourself out to the public to decide whether you should keep that job that you were already guaranteed previously. That's why I can't see them allowing another election

And there you have it, you can't trust any politician because at the end the day they'll serve themselves...

Archived