DCFC Fans - Pearson & Powell Appointed Podcast

Day

4 minutes ago, David said:

I like to see myself as the sensible one, although that's pretty easy with @Srg around.

And I would say yes he would @Boycie, he may support Liverpool but how many footballers can hold off moves hoping to join the club they support?

Jamie Carragher was a big Everton fan, Bale Arsenal fan, footballers move where it would improve their career or pays the most. At Newcastle Hughes would stand a better chance of promotion. Sad but true.

I could argue if that's true or not, who knows?

But at this moment, we're in the same competition,  so why would he forego a decent lifestyle, with players you know well, and your friends and family around you, to take up a challenge at a club that probably won't be the best you'll play at in your career?

He could leave for most of the top-flight and I'd see why, but never for a team in the same league.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I could argue if that's true or not, who knows?

But at this moment, we're in the same competition,  so why would he forego a decent lifestyle, with players you know well, and your friends and family around you, to take up a challenge at a club that probably won't be the best you'll play at in your career?

He could leave for most of the top-flight and I'd see why, but never for a team in the same league.

We are in the same competition but so was us and Hull last season and Tom Ince joined us, Shackell came from Burnley...we've had 3 failed attempts, £25m spent last season and still here, now look at the players Newcastle still have, the manager, what happened last time they came down. They are a big big club and  I would say he stood right now a far better chance of getting promoted and playing in the Premier League which would be great for his career.

Friends, family, not being funny but this is football, you can't get attached to areas and mates, players come and go, you move yourself and adapt or get left behind.

15 minutes ago, David said:

We are in the same competition but so was us and Hull last season and Tom Ince joined us, Shackell came from Burnley...we've had 3 failed attempts, £25m spent last season and still here, now look at the players Newcastle still have, the manager, what happened last time they came down. They are a big big club and  I would say he stood right now a far better chance of getting promoted and playing in the Premier League which would be great for his career.

Friends, family, not being funny but this is football, you can't get attached to areas and mates, players come and go, you move yourself and adapt or get left behind.

Ince wasn't playing, easiest decision in the world to come here after his successful loan.

Shackell had just been relegated, last chance to pick up a decent signing on fee, and a good chance to prove some detractors wrong, with a pay rise in the equation.

What would Hughes gain at Newcastle?

Joining a stable club with a established Championship manager?  No.

Working with a squad with a proven track record of success? No.

More cash? Possibly, possibly not?

Would he notice the extra 20k fans at matchdays? 

There's not a team amongst the established Premier League elite, by which I mean the top 12, that couldn't at this moment in time offer him more than Newcastle, that's why he won't jump ship for the Geordies. 

50 minutes ago, David said:

I like to see myself as the sensible one, although that's pretty easy with @Srg around.

And I would say yes he would @Boycie, he may support Liverpool but how many footballers can hold off moves hoping to join the club they support?

Jamie Carragher was a big Everton fan, Bale Arsenal fan, footballers move where it would improve their career or pays the most. At Newcastle Hughes would stand a better chance of promotion and Premier League football next season. Sad but true.

Hogwash

3 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Ince wasn't playing, easiest decision in the world to come here after his successful loan.

Shackell had just been relegated, last chance to pick up a decent signing on fee, and a good chance to prove some detractors wrong, with a pay rise in the equation.

There's not a team amongst the established Premier League elite, by which I mean the top 12, that couldn't at this moment in time offer him more than Newcastle, that's why he won't jump ship for the Geordies. 

How much does a stable club really matter to players? Forest, Leeds, Blackpool, all still capable of signing players and managers, Garry Monk has gone from Swansea to one of the least stable jobs going.

How much success has this Derby squad had? 3 failed attempts on promotion, Newcastle have a squad of international players that have played at the top level, now they have a manager that has La Liga titles, Champions League, UEFA Cup, Europa League, Super Cup, his trophy cabinet would need more Mr Sheen than Mel's head.

More cash? Boyce's question was if they were on the same money but I would guess if allowed Newcastle would offer him more with a bonus on promotion, big club, big wages. This is a club that has only been outside the Premier League for 2 seasons out of the last 24, wasn't that long ago they were competing in Europe. The potential is huge up there, any player will know this. 

Do you think Derby could have ever attracted Benitez to come in as manager? if not why not, you will also find the answer in that as to why most players would choose Newcastle over Derby. 

We had the same with Commons when he joined Celtic, nobody could understand it yet it made perfect sense, they are a much bigger club, more money, bigger stage. 

29 minutes ago, David said:

You buffoon.

14 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

This!

27 minutes ago, David said:

How much does a stable club really matter to players? Forest, Leeds, Blackpool, all still capable of signing players and managers, Garry Monk has gone from Swansea to one of the least stable jobs going.

How much success has this Derby squad had? 3 failed attempts on promotion, Newcastle have a squad of international players that have played at the top level, now they have a manager that has La Liga titles, Champions League, UEFA Cup, Europa League, Super Cup, his trophy cabinet would need more Mr Sheen than Mel's head.

More cash? Boyce's question was if they were on the same money but I would guess if allowed Newcastle would offer him more with a bonus on promotion, big club, big wages. This is a club that has only been outside the Premier League for 2 seasons out of the last 24, wasn't that long ago they were competing in Europe. The potential is huge up there, any player will know this. 

Do you think Derby could have ever attracted Benitez to come in as manager? if not why not, you will also find the answer in that as to why most players would choose Newcastle over Derby. 

We had the same with Commons when he joined Celtic, nobody could understand it yet it made perfect sense, they are a much bigger club, more money, bigger stage. 

I've bolded the relevant bits, a squad of superstars who got relegated, and the trophy laden manager who took them down.

Past performance is no guide to future success, as a banker may say.

If you took any other player in the championship, outside of Newcastle and said "do you think they would leave their current club to join Newcastle?" every single person would say yes, of course they would, whats different with Hughes? He plays for us.

Would Dunk would stay at Brighton if he was offered a move to Newcastle? Of course not.

Would Lansbury stay at Forest if he was offered a move to Newcastle? Of course not.

Would Mccormack stay at Fulham if he was offered a move to Newcastle? Of course not.

Would Foresterei stay at Wednesday if he was offered a move to Newcastle? Of course not.

Would Judge stay at Brenrford if he was offered a move to Newcastle? Of course not.

Just because it is Derby County and our player don't kid yourself into thinking they are any more or less loyal than the next team.

having said this....he is the best player I have seen in a Rams shirt since Archie and I desperately want him to stay, but would never hold it against him if he wanted to better himself, even, and it hurts to say this, even if he went to the scum bags on merseyside.(why would he though, he would never win the league there!)

7 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

If you took any other player in the championship, outside of Newcastle and said "do you think they would leave their current club to join Newcastle?" every single person would say yes, of course they would, whats different with Hughes? He plays for us.

Would Dunk would stay at Brighton if he was offered a move to Newcastle? Of course not.

Would Lansbury stay at Forest if he was offered a move to Newcastle? Of course not.

Would Mccormack stay at Fulham if he was offered a move to Newcastle? Of course not.

Would Foresterei stay at Wednesday if he was offered a move to Newcastle? Of course not.

Would Judge stay at Brenrford if he was offered a move to Newcastle? Of course not.

Just because it is Derby County and our player don't kid yourself into thinking they are any more or less loyal than the next team.

having said this....he is the best player I have seen in a Rams shirt since Archie and I desperately want him to stay, but would never hold it against him if he wanted to better himself, even, and it hurts to say this, even if he went to the scum bags on merseyside.(why would he though, he would never win the league there!)

I think if Hughes was to go it wouldn't be to another Championship team. He is a bright lad and knows that when he does leave he will have a choice of Premiership teams to go to.

I would say that the majority of the top players in the top 6 or so teams would would stay at their current club over Newcastle this season.

Archived