Well done Burnley & Boro

unclej

The two best teams in the division and going up on merit. No play-off nonsense for these two. Boro deserve this, having had their their ups & downs but coming through them all. Solid team.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to feel a little bit sorry for Brighton though, missing out on automatic promotion by just two goals must surely rival us losing the Play Off Final against QPR in the dying seconds of the game two seasons ago.

I've just read Brighton are the first team in 19 years to not get an automatic promotion place when finishing the season on 89 points. It's certainly been a season of record breaking undefeated runs for sure. Burnley 23 unbeaten, Brighton 21 unbeaten.

Boro and Burnley a big congratulations, its not easy getting out of this league as we can attest too

I'm just glad one of them defiantly wont be standing in our way at Wembley should we make it.

Got to feel a little bit for Brighton though, 89 points, a 21 match unbeaten run, followed by another 13 game unbeaten run and still they've missed out... sheff weds could still catch them on a downer this coming Friday.  

Some say the championship league / 2nd level of English soccer, is the hardest of all the leagues to achieve in, and if that includes the EPL and what Leicester have accomplished, that is praise indeed.

Middlesbrough have done good in recent years, Hell we're still waiting for our first domestic trophy since 1978, and in the last 20 years alone, the North East team has won the League Cup, been involved in an FA Cup Final, and other achievements of merit such as (other) League Cup finals and arguably most impressive of all, a European Final a few years recent, although can't recall who they played in the final (UEFA Cup, now Europa League ?)

Understand Burnley were one of England's big hitters back in the 1960's but they've been on a serious decline ever since, and despite one or two promotions and relegations between the EPL and 2nd league in recent years, are unlikley to ever regain their previous stature.

As an aside, doesn't that provide extra motivation to the Derby players in gaining a promotion also, and then not only will you have Leicester as EPL champions, but another great advert for East Midlands soccer when you join them next season - while Nottingham Forest remain rooted in the championship league for another year, and can only look on ?

You got to admit that would be a very good scenario for all involved here.

Sith Happens
5 hours ago, Minneapolis American ITFC said:

Some say the championship league / 2nd level of English soccer, is the hardest of all the leagues to achieve in, and if that includes the EPL and what Leicester have accomplished, that is praise indeed.

Middlesbrough have done good in recent years, Hell we're still waiting for our first domestic trophy since 1978, and in the last 20 years alone, the North East team has won the League Cup, been involved in an FA Cup Final, and other achievements of merit such as (other) League Cup finals and arguably most impressive of all, a European Final a few years recent, although can't recall who they played in the final (UEFA Cup, now Europa League ?)

Understand Burnley were one of England's big hitters back in the 1960's but they've been on a serious decline ever since, and despite one or two promotions and relegations between the EPL and 2nd league in recent years, are unlikley to ever regain their previous stature.

As an aside, doesn't that provide extra motivation to the Derby players in gaining a promotion also, and then not only will you have Leicester as EPL champions, but another great advert for East Midlands soccer when you join them next season - while Nottingham Forest remain rooted in the championship league for another year, and can only look on ?

You got to admit that would be a very good scenario for all involved here.

you lost me when i got to the word soccer

Boro fan in peace here, Goodluck in the playoffs hope you can do it this time around. Just wanted to point out, I do not think you will find many boro fans who feel sorry for brighton after reading their forum, there utter hatred towards us and wednesday fans (even thought they have not played them yet) they have being the biggest babies ever have a read its quite amusing at times.  http://www.northstandchat.com/forumdisplay.php?20-The-Big-Board 

Congrats boro4life, pay no attention to Brighton's forum mate, got to say though there's been a few very good Brighton fans popping in here, Simon BHA springs to mind that post objectively.

We had one eejit come on after our game at The Ipro but the mods enlightened him in no time. 

Good luck for the new season, do you think Karanka will see it out ?

1 hour ago, boro4life said:

Boro fan in peace here, Goodluck in the playoffs hope you can do it this time around. Just wanted to point out, I do not think you will find many boro fans who feel sorry for brighton after reading their forum, there utter hatred towards us and wednesday fans (even thought they have not played them yet) they have being the biggest babies ever have a read its quite amusing at times.  http://www.northstandchat.com/forumdisplay.php?20-The-Big-Board 

There forum is bloody awful, some of the most deluded arrogant fans I have ever seen. I don't how they can think that Stephens studs up challenge wasn't a red? Sore losers.

15 hours ago, unclej said:

The two best teams in the division and going up on merit. No play-off nonsense for these two. Boro deserve this, having had their their ups & downs but coming through them all. Solid team.

You forgot to mention they were fortunate not to have Keogh in their side!

3 hours ago, boro4life said:

Yeh they are quite bitter after 1-1 draw they had a hatred thread for our will.

As a Boro fan thanks for the love and it's reciprocated.

I don't think the majority of Brighton's fans are sour grape chewing tos$ers though, just that to lose out on the autos in the way they did with the highest points total of a team in 3rd since 98 (when Boro coincidently were the team who rolled through in 2nd in that season too as it happens) having made such progress on last season in a one off winner takes all game with a reffing decision that split opinion in our favour... I think a fair number of fans of most sides wouldn't exactly be feeling calm for a few days about it.

Plus the fans who are ranting usually make more noise than their contemporaries giving the opinion there are more of them than there really are.

The team round the top I didn't want to see go up this year won the league. Not that I have anything against their fans or tradition which I respect, more that I dislike their manager, their hoofball style and the animal who plays in the middle of the park for them. I wanted it to be Boro, Brighton plus Derby through the playoffs throughout the last couple of months.

That being said I believe a Derby-Brighton Playoff final would be one of the most entertaining for the neutral.

There's this thing with internet forums where 1 idiot says something idiotic, it gets picked up on by opposition forum, who talk about idiot, which then see's one of their idiots say something and before you know it there's a bloody cyber war. It's a load of ******** and I don't really understand why people think that people who support other clubs are any different to people who support their own club. I travel the country watching Brighton and chat to loads of away fans and everyone always gets on. I'm sure you've all done the same. The reason, we're all the same! We're all football fans at the end of the day experiencing the highs and lows of following our respective clubs. Any other season and I'd be delighted to see either Derby or Sheffield Wednesday promoted. Obviously I hope we smash Wednesday and then win the final. Not massively optimistic though!

1 hour ago, SimonBHA said:

There's this thing with internet forums where 1 idiot says something idiotic, it gets picked up on by opposition forum, who talk about idiot, which then see's one of their idiots say something and before you know it there's a bloody cyber war. It's a load of ******** and I don't really understand why people think that people who support other clubs are any different to people who support their own club. I travel the country watching Brighton and chat to loads of away fans and everyone always gets on. I'm sure you've all done the same. The reason, we're all the same! We're all football fans at the end of the day experiencing the highs and lows of following our respective clubs. Any other season and I'd be delighted to see either Derby or Sheffield Wednesday promoted. Obviously I hope we smash Wednesday and then win the final. Not massively optimistic though!

Spot on.

Hope you make it past Wednesday, if only to make the travel down a bit calmer for us!

See you at Wembley hopefully, if not us than I'd like to see BHA do it.

15 hours ago, ipad1977 said:

As a Boro fan thanks for the love and it's reciprocated.

I don't think the majority of Brighton's fans are sour grape chewing tos$ers though, just that to lose out on the autos in the way they did with the highest points total of a team in 3rd since 98 (when Boro coincidently were the team who rolled through in 2nd in that season too as it happens) having made such progress on last season in a one off winner takes all game with a reffing decision that split opinion in our favour... I think a fair number of fans of most sides wouldn't exactly be feeling calm for a few days about it.

Plus the fans who are ranting usually make more noise than their contemporaries giving the opinion there are more of them than there really are.

I go on quite a few forums of other teams.  I rarely post, more to see what our contemporaries think of us as a team and a set of fans.  Also to get a feel of what the fans are like and their thoughts on their own team.  If I do post it's because the forum seems welcoming and intelligent.

North Stand Chat is the vilest forum I've ever looked in on.  

Ranting in the immediacy of a defeat or perceived injustice is understandable and common across all football fans and fan forums.  Brighton's fans take that to another level and it lasts well beyond the short term.  In the past few weeks I've seen some real poor form, not from a minority but from the majority on there.  Burnley only took a point because the ref was scared of Barton and Dyche and giving us everything (sure, apart from a legitimate goal).  Wishing career ending injuries on Barton.  Ramirez's injury was suffered previously because "where's all the blood?" and only because he wasn't wearing shinpads (or make that he was wearing small shinpads that were too small once it became patently obvious that theory was wrong), George Thorne's double leg break was greeted with "Good."

It's an immaturity of the majority (on the forum, I can't comment about them as a whole off there though I've often found the main forum to be representative of other teams' fans).  Perhaps it's to be expected because there will be a lot of "new" fans on their who haven't experienced all the peaks and troughs of the long term fan, the one's that knock those edges off.

It was hard to choose who I wanted to go up with us at the weekend.  Brighton's manager is a different class, their fans vile.  Boro's fans are good, but their manager an utter tool.  

In the play-offs anyone to win but Brighton would suit me to the ground - I could even stomach Shackell getting another shot at the Prem if it was at their expense because I've enjoyed my time contributing to this forum and all the Derby fans I've met IRL have been great.

15 hours ago, ipad1977 said:

The team round the top I didn't want to see go up this year won the league. Not that I have anything against their fans or tradition which I respect, more that I dislike their manager, their hoofball style and the animal who plays in the middle of the park for them. I wanted it to be Boro, Brighton plus Derby through the playoffs throughout the last couple of months.

Don't go echoing your manager, he made himself look a right tit with those comments...

"We scored our goal because we always try to play good football" 

"They scored because they decided to play long balls and it's difficult to understand with that squad to play long balls. That's their style and it's been good for them."

“It's my decision, my style and I am really proud of all of them. When we lose, we lose with our style; when we win, we win with our style."

The stats from that game...

CgKOyOW.png

I suppose he didn't mention what happens when they draw...

There seems to be a great deal of genuine hatred for Derby among Brighton fans (on the internet, in areas were to be honest negativity is rife any way. Haven't met a RL BHA fan who has owt against us), that funnily enough wasn't there before we absolutely spanked them in the play-offs. I imagine Boro may have joined that group. I hope Sheff Wed batter them, just for the laughs.

29 minutes ago, ClaretMatt said:

Burnley only took a point because the ref was scared of Barton and Dyche and giving us everything (sure, apart from a legitimate goal).  Wishing career ending injuries on Barton.  Ramirez's injury was suffered previously because "where's all the blood?" and only because he wasn't wearing shinpads (or make that he was wearing small shinpads that were too small once it became patently obvious that theory was wrong), George Thorne's double leg break was greeted with "Good."

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. All it takes is for one person to make such a comment and suddenly it's "Fans". We have a very busy forum. We have 25k+ fans attending games. A handful of people make comments and they represent thousands? Daft. Our fans are the same. They look at opposition forums and get a face on because people are calling us gay, or saying our team is rubbish, or whatever. The internet gives idiots oxygen and our forum is a very popular forum so you will get idiots. Put 10 Burnley fans and 10 Brighton fans in a room and what will you find, they're all just normal people. You can't define a group of people by the club they support, it's ******* stupid! 

Archived