Set Pieces Scored

PodgeyRam

Much has been made of our ability (or should that be inability) at set pieces. However I wasn't aware how bad it was. I was doing some research for my blog and I got looking at percentage of goals scored from set pieces. Blackburn have the highest % with 52% of their goals being scored from set pieces. Next up is Bolton and Burnley on 38% (what are they doing up there in Lancashire?)

We have the second lowest - only 18% of our goals are scored from set pieces. Only Sheffield Wednesday are below us with (16%). The championship average was 27%.

Stating the obvious really, but we really need to improve on these.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

How is our conversation rate, as in goals per corner/set piece?

I imagine here it's something like 0.5% but relative performance to othr teams might be insightful.

It's just a thought, I've not looked at the stats or anything, but we are about as threatening as an angry marshmallow at set pieces.

I couldn't find anything on the number of corners we have, but I'd have to agree we never look very threatening from set pieces. I'd probably have to buy a subscription to one of those data companies, but I don't have the money for that.

More data is needed before any real insight can be gleaned. Consider the following two scenarios:

- team scores 4 goals all season, relegated by Chtistmas, but all the goals are from corners. 100% of their goals from set pieces. 

- team is prolific in open play, scoring a hatful of goals. Don't get many corners because they don't let the opposition near the ball. Free kicks tend to be well worked multi-touch moves so don't count as goals from set pieces. 

Obviously both scenarios are highly contrived to illustrate the point. 

What would be more interesting is not the proportion of goals from set pieces, but our efficiency at converting them. As it happens, I don't think we're very good at that either :-) 

is this direct from set pieces, or does it include goals coming from an uncleared setpiece.

I brought this topic up a while ago, because i havent seen the stats and its just an feeling i had.

I imagine derby are poor at scoring from the same passage of play as in a set piece, and likewise defending the same passage of play as a set piece.

Sometime you just have a feeling, that when you watch the physcial teams like blackburn ipswich and rotherham they are always going to score from something that they no doubt practise a lot.

21 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

is this direct from set pieces, or does it include goals coming from an uncleared setpiece.

I brought this topic up a while ago, because i havent seen the stats and its just an feeling i had.

I imagine derby are poor at scoring from the same passage of play as in a set piece, and likewise defending the same passage of play as a set piece.

Sometime you just have a feeling, that when you watch the physcial teams like blackburn ipswich and rotherham they are always going to score from something that they no doubt practise a lot.

I think it's direct from set pieces, inclluding flick-ons. I was using Squawka and WhoScored.

Interestingly only 21% of Ipswich's goals come from set pieces which was towards the lower end of the division. However, I'm not sure how much of that is due to the likes of Murphy and McGoldrick missing chances from set pieces that thye scored last year - they're on course to score over 20 goals less this season than they did last season.

I find the statistics of it all fascinating. For example, Derby have by far the highest proportion of yellow cards given out for dissent, with 1 in 6 giveen for chatting back to the ref. Also, only Hull have committed less fouls than us this season.

Archived