Running

Day

I love it but don't go to far,between 3 and 5 miles 3 times a week.

I prefer weights but I'm pushing 50 and need to look after my ticker.

Best stress relief ever.I always do something before I come to a match or after I've watched us on the TV. 

I only got into running in my late 30's.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it, not done any events this year & ive never wore lycra. My first great north run i didnt know what i was doing rocked up in a pair of adidas samba's and a football shirt... Terrible time

i then got hooked and started training a bit harder and bought some real trainers Its about beating yourself and seeing how far you can push yourself and the sense of achivement when by your own personal standards you smash a race 

in the past 5 years Since taking up running ive done the london marathon twice once for charity once as a ballot entry (so not for charity), great north run on four occasions (all as a ballot entry) and a 100km (62miles in old money) ultra marathon. I think ive probably averaged 5 events a year and only two have been for charity.

I now feel ive completed running and this year have just stuck to 5k & 10k to keep the legs ticking over. The thing is running too far isnt good for losing weight i find as soon as i run over 10k i need to eat more to fuel my runs so the calories burnt go straight back in. I find Its better to eat at a normal level & run some intervals. 

On the running attire i used to prefer turning up in some normal shorts, a loose fitting normal t-shirt and letting the other runners at the event think whos this joker but then pull a 3:22 marathon out the bag.

Not a rapid time but not bad for a smoker who could do with dropping a few pounds. I think if i put my mind to it i could be quicker but id never be too much quicker   

Completed the Derby 10km yesterday, the thought of running 4 months ago was sickening unless there was somebody giving out pints of Guinness or if I was being chased by big angry dinosaurs.

I only entered it because somebody at work said I was too porky for it, challenge accepted.

I've lost 2 stone whilst training and I feel great for sticking at it and completing it within my predicted time.

Its made me want to push myself in other sports now and I might try some different challenges.

All I can say is set yourself a challenge outside your comfort zone and then commit yourself to it.

I recommend anybody to just push themselves past their perceived boundaries.

The best thing about running is how easy it is to do. No gym membership required, no fancy equipment, just put your trainers on and go out your front door. Having said that I don't especially enjoy it, but I do enjoy the benefits like being able to waltz into the opposition's penalty area on 80 minutes because they're all knackered. I still don't understand the draw of organised runs though. If I want to do a marathon I can quite easily set a route for myself which has the double benefit of bypassing all the tedious sign up crap and allows me to run somewhere nice instead of a dull city centre. Road running is especially boring in my opinion and all those daft gizmos people buy are a waste of money. A watch is all you need, unless you've got some kind of condition you don't need to monitor your heart rate.

14 minutes ago, Anon said:

The best thing about running is how easy it is to do. No gym membership required, no fancy equipment, just put your trainers on and go out your front door. Having said that I don't especially enjoy it, but I do enjoy the benefits like being able to waltz into the opposition's penalty area on 80 minutes because they're all knackered. I still don't understand the draw of organised runs though. If I want to do a marathon I can quite easily set a route for myself which has the double benefit of bypassing all the tedious sign up crap and allows me to run somewhere nice instead of a dull city centre. Road running is especially boring in my opinion and all those daft gizmos people buy are a waste of money. A watch is all you need, unless you've got some kind of condition you don't need to monitor your heart rate.

I felt the same way as you Anon, running 10km into the countryside with no pressure was perfect.

The thought of running the same route with 4500 other people was quite intimidating tbh.

But the atmosphere was incredible and the adrenaline gets pumping.

The last sprint into the iPro was incredible.

15 hours ago, LesterRam said:

Anybody doing the couch to 5k NHS App, I am hoping to get down to decathlon to get some decent running shoes and some extra support for my wobbly bits when I have recovered then I'm trying again.

I know a lot of people of all sizes and ages who have done the couch to 5K. Plenty of them have gone on to the weekly parkrun, 10K's etc. It is a great way to build your fitness.

4 minutes ago, bcnram said:

I know a lot of people of all sizes and ages who have done the couch to 5K. Plenty of them have gone on to the weekly parkrun, 10K's etc. It is a great way to build your fitness.

It looks a good idea, I completed three days before my testicles gave up, I will be resting them for a little bit before trying again.

38 minutes ago, Dale The Ram said:

I felt the same way as you Anon, running 10km into the countryside with no pressure was perfect.

The thought of running the same route with 4500 other people was quite intimidating tbh.

But the atmosphere was incredible and the adrenaline gets pumping.

The last sprint into the iPro was incredible.

Derby 10K is a good run, not the most interesting route that I've done but it is well supported. It is a shame that it clashed with the 'Run In The Forest' 5 mile race at Conkers because I would have liked to have done that as well. I am an old plodder but enjoy running in the organised races, by the same token I also enjoy working out routes on Map my Run and doing them on my own. 

16 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

It looks a good idea, I completed three days before my testicles gave up, I will be resting them for a little bit before trying again.

Get yourself some compression shorts to wear under your normal shorts. Keep the undercarriage from swinging around and stops chafing too. 

2 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Get yourself some compression shorts to wear under your normal shorts. Keep the undercarriage from swinging around and stops chafing too. 

actually that's a good call, I went into Sports direct looking for something but came out with nothing, I shall order some of them now, thank you

32 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

actually that's a good call, I went into Sports direct looking for something but came out with nothing, I shall order some of them now, thank you

can't recommend compression shorts enough, I always use them (and also the compression shirts too to keep warm more than anything)

2 hours ago, bcnram said:

Derby 10K is a good run, not the most interesting route that I've done but it is well supported. It is a shame that it clashed with the 'Run In The Forest' 5 mile race at Conkers because I would have liked to have done that as well. I am an old plodder but enjoy running in the organised races, by the same token I also enjoy working out routes on Map my Run and doing them on my own. 

Are you in Ramathon this year chap?

19 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Yep, too old and fat but hey ho, I've signed up for it.

I'm running in a all in one wrestling costume this time, training is going really well too..... Good luck 

7 hours ago, Dale The Ram said:

Completed the Derby 10km yesterday, the thought of running 4 months ago was sickening unless there was somebody giving out pints of Guinness or if I was being chased by big angry dinosaurs.

I only entered it because somebody at work said I was too porky for it, challenge accepted.

I've lost 2 stone whilst training and I feel great for sticking at it and completing it within my predicted time.

Its made me want to push myself in other sports now and I might try some different challenges.

All I can say is set yourself a challenge outside your comfort zone and then commit yourself to it.

I recommend anybody to just push themselves past their perceived boundaries.

What was your time Dale?

Archived