Charlton trains and pubs

North East Ram

Apologies if this has been covered before but I can't find it... Anyway, has anyone got details for trains / tubes to Charlton please? I'm sure someone mentioned travel disruptions around there. Is it London Bridge to Charlton?

Pub recommendations would be appreciated too. Especially those that are serving real ale, cobs, pork pies and away friendly!

Any useful info is very welcome.

cheers!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The overground lines that run through London bridge are all out this weekend. 

So no trains from cannon street or charing cross/Waterloo. 

Overground from Victoria is fine.

Else it's underground to north Greenwich (jubilee) plus buses which frankly sounds a right pain.

The only eye opener for me was the national rail website telling me the day return fare from Victoria to Charlton was 14.60 which sounds extortionate. 

26 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Else it's underground to north Greenwich (jubilee) plus buses which frankly sounds a right pain.

The only eye opener for me was the national rail website telling me the day return fare from Victoria to Charlton was 14.60 which sounds extortionate. 

Thanks for that. Btw trainline has a return for £7-30. Direct every 30 mins and I think from memory there's some ale boozers around Victoria. Rose Of Denmark in Charlton I've found too - London Pride and away friendly. 

29 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Are you sure it isn't £7.30 return rather than £7.30 each way?

35 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Absolutely right, but another thing to watch is the lack of frequency. The direct Victoria to Charlton trains (30 minute journey) only go every half hour, which seems crazy. Basically the engineering works are screwing up everything.

However, the good news is that I think HR must have put in for 2 tickets, because the National Rail Enquiries website is telling me a return is only £7.30. And, you don't have to buy a ticket. You can just use any contactless payment card on the gates, which should automatically calculate your lowest fare.

12 hours ago, londonbridgeram said:

Trains are a bit messy this weekend. Get the tube (Jubilee line) from London Bridge to North Greenwich (O2/the dome) and then to The Pilot pub. From there 20 minutes walk or a bus to the ground.

Is it a 20 minute walk ? Not doubting you but just checked and it said over 1 hour . 

If it is a 20 minute walk it's a far better option than the train from Victoria .

17 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Apologies if this has been covered before but I can't find it... Anyway, has anyone got details for trains / tubes to Charlton please? I'm sure someone mentioned travel disruptions around there. Is it London Bridge to Charlton?

Pub recommendations would be appreciated too. Especially those that are serving real ale, cobs, pork pies and away friendly!

Any useful info is very welcome.

cheers!

Try the pub called Rose of Denmark or Anglicatian which is about 5-10 minutes walk to the ground. 

19 hours ago, londonbridgeram said:

Trains are a bit messy this weekend. Get the tube (Jubilee line) from London Bridge to North Greenwich (O2/the dome) and then to The Pilot pub. From there 20 minutes walk or a bus to the ground.

It's 2 miles and a 40 minute walk or faff about with buses,  though I appreciate you get the chance to go via London Bridge area where there are plenty of pubs. 

Tube from St Pancras to Victoria is easy, then a non stop train to Charlton. Quite a few pubs around Victoria including a Wetherspoons at the station. The Albert on Victoria Street opens at 10.00, a couple of others nearby from 11.00 including Buckingham Arms and the  Cask and Glass. 

If you use Oyster card or have a contactless debit or credit card the maximum charge is £7.60 throughout Zones 1-3 all day. Just make sure you touch on and off at each station. 

46 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Love that video. Not often do these vids do justice to the atmos, but that's a good un. 

I've actually only started 2 songs ever (so precise I can remember the game - and yes, I'd been on the peeve) so doubt it'll be me getting it going by lunch time today! That said, if the LP is slipping down then you never know!

If we win at Wembley, I'm up for a third time!

Archived