Automatic Places

TETRA

One consequence from our great 4-0 win tonight over Hull is that the two Automatic places look to be now between three teams only with the number of games left to play. Any two from Burnley, Boro, & Brighton.. Based on the season so far which two would you put money on ?. I now think Boro & Brighton.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope you're right mate.

Not just as a Boro fan, but Brighton are the side in the top 4 I'd most like to go up with us. Ideally I want us to both need a point from the last match against each other and for a big meaningless pass it around your own half nil-nil draw to ensue whilst both sets of fans just treat it as one almighty promotion party pi$s up, with the big screen showing constant footage of Dyche's ugly ginger mug in their match against Charlton, becoming gradually more and more purple with rage as each update on our score is given to him.

Then I want Derby to stuff Burnley in the Play off final too whilst waving fake wads of cash at the whining buffoon as well to give him something to actually whinge about for once.

The last game of the season could be massive. We could have a situation where a Boro win could see them finish first, however a Brighton win could see Boro finish 3rd. I hope we have a play-off place secured before the Ipswich game (hopefully winning our next 3 should seal it) so we can sit back and see how the rest pans out.

The final day of the season could be very entertaining for a neutral, much like last season's final day would have been for fans of other clubs.

I'd like to see Brighton go up, but if we make the playoffs, our best hope would be for both Boro and Burnley to finish in the top two as there is no chance in hell we would beat them over two legs (or in the final).

On this season's viewings, our best hope is to draw Hull in the playoffs semi-finals (they look out of sorts at present) and then get Brighton or Wednesday in a one-off final (which we'd probably win as most neutrals would be cheering for the other I'd imagine. We'd do a QPR!)

Win our last 6 games and we'll be promoted as Burnley and Boro play each other. Obviously we won't win our last 6 games but the next 4 certainly look winnable. 

Desperate for a top two spot now, really don't fancy the play-offs again. Suspect it will be play-offs mind.

16 minutes ago, SimonBHA said:

Win our last 6 games and we'll be promoted as Burnley and Boro play each other. Obviously we won't win our last 6 games but the next 4 certainly look winnable. 

Desperate for a top two spot now, really don't fancy the play-offs again. Suspect it will be play-offs mind.

I both love & hate the playoffs and my opinion changes depending on where we finish 

finish third like we did a in our first season under mac or like you will do if you miss out on the top two then im cursing them

You can find me saying things like "it should be the top three go up, its unfair etc etc"

that for me makes the tension worse as i feel the side that comes third "deserves" to go up 

finish lower than third like Derby will do this season then im loving them as in my opinon it gives us an unserved crack at going up

as a fan im always nervous by the playoffs as im desperate to go up but when we came third i was more of a nervous wreck rather than just a standard feeling of nervous. Its what made the whole QPR fiasco more painful the fact we'd been class all year and they'd been rubbish. 

If im honest id like brighton to go up they seem a well run decent club. But in the other hand im not sure if id rather play your lot rather than boro or burnley.

You boys play football and it might suits us better to play a more open game. We never get much off the other two, they'd turn up, put 11 men behind the ball, bore us to death and grind out a win against us 

Boro seem to have come out of their blip largaely unscathed and with their game in hand they should consolidate a top 2 spot. As with most rams fans I have a particular disdain for Burnley and their gravel voiced ginger tosser of a manager so hopefully they miss out on the last day and have to settle for play offs which could work in our favour should we play them. Personally I love the playoffs and would rather go up winning at Wembley than finish 2nd (only if it was guaranteed mind!) as it means you actually win something and is an excuse for a day out. Reckon the top 6 will end up looking a little like this;

1. Boro
2. BHA
3. Burnley
4. Hull
5. DCFC
6. Sheff Weds

The only teams I would desperately want to avoid are Boro and Burnley as we get bugger all from them! Wouldn't surprise me if there were a few late charges and some drama but hopefully we will steer well clear of it all!

I'm hoping Boro and Burnley get autos purely out of self interest, we'd get done by each of those in the play offs.

The rest I think we'd have a chance.

Who I'd like up because I like? Us (obviously), Wednesday, and either Brighton or Boro. Brighton because I like the place and Boro because even though i hate playing them, are a proper football club and the towns had a rough ride for a while. Plus it'd hack Newcastle and Scunderland right off.

2 hours ago, ipad1977 said:

I hope you're right mate.

Not just as a Boro fan, but Brighton are the side in the top 4 I'd most like to go up with us. Ideally I want us to both need a point from the last match against each other and for a big meaningless pass it around your own half nil-nil draw to ensue whilst both sets of fans just treat it as one almighty promotion party pi$s up, with the big screen showing constant footage of Dyche's ugly ginger mug in their match against Charlton, becoming gradually more and more purple with rage as each update on our score is given to him.

Then I want Derby to stuff Burnley in the Play off final too whilst waving fake wads of cash at the whining buffoon as well to give him something to actually whinge about for once.

Boro and Brighton doing that would be quite funny. Not to be mean but I'd actually prefer you and burnley to go up top 2 so we don't have to bloody play either in the playoffs :lol: if we do make them. 

1 hour ago, SimonBHA said:

Quite surprised how well Brighton have done to be honest. I really didn't think much of Brighton during your unbeaten run. I feel you're a better side now, even though you've lost five in the last 20, than you were previously.

Probably those good away wins which have really caught the eye. No more last-gasp winners from Zamora, or scraping past the likes of Charlton and Bristol City...

Still see you've only won three games all season by more than one-goal (while also losing three by more than one goal). In some cases at least you have sense of excitement in the last ten minutes with most of your games firmly in the balance.

Derby have won 11 by 2+ goals and lost four by 2+ goals. If you compare those records, you'd assume Derby on their day are better than Brighton. But Brighton certainly have more steel about them and are more consistent.

1 hour ago, G-Ram said:

I both love & hate the playoffs and my opinion changes depending on where we finish 

finish third like we did a in our first season under mac or like you will do if you miss out on the top two then im cursing them

You can find me saying things like "it should be the top three go up, its unfair etc etc"

that for me makes the tension worse as i feel the side that comes third "deserves" to go up 

finish lower than third like Derby will do this season then im loving them as in my opinon it gives us an unserved crack at going up

as a fan im always nervous by the playoffs as im desperate to go up but when we came third i was more of a nervous wreck rather than just a standard feeling of nervous. Its what made the whole QPR fiasco more painful the fact we'd been class all year and they'd been rubbish. 

If im honest id like brighton to go up they seem a well run decent club. But in the other hand im not sure if id rather play your lot rather than boro or burnley.

You boys play football and it might suits us better to play a more open game. We never get much off the other two, they'd turn up, put 11 men behind the ball, bore us to death and grind out a win against us 

I don't think anything could be more painful than losing to Palace a few years ago as we were good enough (I think) for automatic that year and losing to your rivals at home is just horrific. That said, back then, we were still riding the crest of a wave (new stadium/league 1 champions) and we could enjoy the 'achievement' of just getting into them. If we don't go up this season now I think it'll just feel like a massive wasted opportunity and be very hard to take. I wouldn't be massively confident going into the play-offs, our record against the top 8 is 2-7-3. We certainly wouldn't be cruising past anyone like you cruised past us two years ago!

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Quite surprised how well Brighton have done to be honest. I really didn't think much of Brighton during your unbeaten run. I feel you're a better side now, even though you've lost five in the last 20, than you were previously.

Probably those good away wins which have really caught the eye. No more last-gasp winners from Zamora, or scraping past the likes of Charlton and Bristol City...

Still see you've only won three games all season by more than one-goal (while also losing three by more than one goal). In some cases at least you have sense of excitement in the last ten minutes with most of your games firmly in the balance.

Derby have won 11 by 2+ goals and lost four by 2+ goals. If you compare those records, you'd assume Derby on their day are better than Brighton. But Brighton certainly have more steel about them and are more consistent.

We're probably not as good as Boro, Hull & Derby but because we don't often dictate play and control possession as much as the stronger sides can it gives us more opportunities as the opposition probably attack us more. We've developed a very good counter attacking style as the season's progressed. We've got a very experienced side with great mental strength though and can play some great football at times.

15 minutes ago, SimonBHA said:

I don't think anything could be more painful than losing to Palace a few years ago as we were good enough (I think) for automatic that year and losing to your rivals at home is just horrific. That said, back then, we were still riding the crest of a wave (new stadium/league 1 champions) and we could enjoy the 'achievement' of just getting into them. If we don't go up this season now I think it'll just feel like a massive wasted opportunity and be very hard to take. I wouldn't be massively confident going into the play-offs, our record against the top 8 is 2-7-3. We certainly wouldn't be cruising past anyone like you cruised past us two years ago!

To be honest i think part of that semi-final could have been down to the players knowing Garcia was off regardless even if you went up. As well as the form we were in at the time 

It was demoralising missing out. I felt drained after the playoff final and wasn't looking forward to another 46 game season & i was only watching, god knows how our players felt 

like i say being so close and thinking we deserved it was an emotional rollercoaster   Think if we make it to wembley this time i will feel differently because i will be more than happy to be there, of course i'll want us to go up but getting there would be less expected as id given up on the idea of promotion a couple of weeks ago. The hull results renewed my hope 

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

I have to admit I've been quite surprised by Brighton this season I must say, although their very poor season last year equally surprised me..

But when you look across their whole squad at all their new signings made since Chris Hughton arrived at the Club. Then it has to be said their overall recruitment has been quite exceptional & not just players who's names we already new about but three or four we didn't. They've certainly seem to have all hit the ground running which is often rare.

As you'll be aware we play you on the final day in a a few weeks and by that time, we'll (Ipswich) have little to play for unfortunately (I've given up on any hope of promotion such is the garbage we see week in week out) so essentially you'll be playing a team with nothing to shoot for.    Remember after last year you missed out on the final day so there at least deserve another chance and believe you'll make top six at the very least.    Shouldn't really say this (as a rival fan) but hope we don't spoil it for you on the final game where a victory or point is required to ensure (for Derby) a play-off finish.

29 minutes ago, Minneapolis American ITFC said:

As you'll be aware we play you on the final day in a a few weeks and by that time, we'll (Ipswich) have little to play for unfortunately (I've given up on any hope of promotion such is the garbage we see week in week out) so essentially you'll be playing a team with nothing to shoot for.    Remember after last year you missed out on the final day so there at least deserve another chance and believe you'll make top six at the very least.    Shouldn't really say this (as a rival fan) but hope we don't spoil it for you on the final game where a victory or point is required to ensure (for Derby) a play-off finish.

reading had nothing to play for on the last day last season and we fooled it up.

Archived