Was this the Derby way for 80 mins?

Gritstone Ram

I thought that we may have given the ball away a few times in the first half and I find some players pass the ball to an imaginary player from time to time but oh well I have come to expect the odd mistake. I said at half time we were doing ok and we were playing positive football. We just needed to find the back of the net.

Second half wow!! what happened?? for 35 minutes of the second half I thought is this the Derby way? We played quick passing football fancy flicks moving forward and we were pretty solid at the back.

OK the last 10 minutes were a bit of a fcukup but Rome wasn't built in a day. I am as fustrated as the next person with these results but did I just witness the change of the tide?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Gritters said:

lol

I'm not kidding, like NSR we were really good for most of the second half ok the final score is clouding any positives but I thought we looked quite good. 

Only messin lol. Think the 80mins will be sadly forgotten about. That 10 mins has really stuck the knife in. He needs to go its beyond farcical now.

15 minutes ago, hiltonram said:

I think at last we have found the right balance in midfield with Thorne, Bryson and Hendrick if they can stay fit.

So we don't play the midfielder who's been our best this season, the one who's in the running on here for Player of the Season? 

Based on 80 minutes against Rotherham where neither Hendrick or Bryson did much? 

No wonder we're on our backsides.

2 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

So we don't play the midfielder who's been our best this season, the one who's in the running on here for Player of the Season? 

Based on 80 minutes against Rotherham where neither Hendrick or Bryson did much? 

No wonder we're on our backsides.

Bryson and Hendrick did ok today. It may not be the individual that makes things click. If playing Bryson above Butterfield because Thorne and Hendrick play better then that must mean the team is better balanced. I'm not convinced it is but I thought we looked better today.

4 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Bryson and Hendrick did ok today. It may not be the individual that makes things click. If playing Bryson above Butterfield because Thorne and Hendrick play better then that must mean the team is better balanced. I'm not convinced it is but I thought we looked better today.

Against Rotherham. And boy were they poor. The worst side I've seen this year. I'd play Thorne, Hendrick and Butterfield. I think Jeff and Bryson should fight it out for a spot. When Will returns, Butters then has to fight for that spot. I'm not sure Hanson is adequate cover for Thorne though which isn't ideal. But we've the players here to get a playoff place, if managed 100% better than they were today. 

I'm not opposed to the tried and tested Thorne/Bryson/Hendrick routine. I'm more saying I think Butterfield warrants a regular start as he's done far more than the rest have in midfield, despite getting regularly benched, dropped or played out of position. 

Opinions opinions. I certainly don't see it as the weak area of our team as some do. I worry more about our wingers. If Ince turns up, great. Top end quality at this level. But the rest? We're now playing Johnson out there. Bizarre really. And how does he warrant a start over Butters? On what basis? He doesn't.

The back four have no fears, no pressure. Who can replace them? And for my money, Olsson is quicker than Warnock but worse in any other department you care to mention. He and Bryson were appalling on Tuesday night. He again today was our worst performer.

Coming off the back of 3 successive wins, and new-manager syndrome, there are many Rams who would have taken a point before the match.

Disappointing yes, but nobody's died. Worse things have happened in life. Can't be arsed to read all the suicide stuff. Just have to move on.

9 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Coming off the back of 3 successive wins, and new-manager syndrome, there are many Rams who would have taken a point before the match.

Disappointing yes, but nobody's died. Worse things have happened in life. Can't be arsed to read all the suicide stuff. Just have to move on.

Well for 80 minutes it's the first time i've enjoyed a match for a long time. Now I've calmed down I enjoyed the the day out even with the cars, trains and buses fiasco getting there.

1 hour ago, Gritters said:

I think I certainly went on an emotional roller coaster today. It was like Rotherham had won the league at the end and we had been relegated. 

And yet you are waffling on about the 'Derby way' . The 'Derby Way ' can mean whatever you want it to mean , that's why its such a useless concept. Stop falling for the spin.

Just now, DRBee said:

And yet you are waffling on about the 'Derby way' . The 'Derby Way ' can mean whatever you want it to mean , that's why its such a useless concept. Stop falling for the spin.

I'm not falling for any spin. I've worked in a world of corporate bullshit most of my life. It is in fact everything i stand against. But if it means I come away from a football match feeling entertained I'm all for a load of ******. 

The Derby way is good possession based attacking system high up the pitch.

which in the championship is a dangerous game.

I personally think playing one holding midfielder with two other central midfielders not being competitive when we do t have the ball, is dangerous.

but add to that 2 fullbacks who are poor defensively.... Then you are always going to concede. I feel sorry for shackell and Keogh. The rest of the team aRe doing them no favours.

i congratulate wassall on his ability to get the best out of Martin and ince whenPC could not. But NOT at the expense of any sort of defensive shape.

wassall must get the team to work on defensive play, otherwise we are going down the same route as last season.

ie3-3s with Rotherham mill wall and Huddersfield.

Archived