POLL: Flash poll. Promotion; how do you want it.

Mostyn6

Simply, which would you prefer?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, curtains said:

Mostyn is good at this .

He will tell you the academy will be the answer to all our ills etc and so will Mel. 

In 2 years time we will be Real Madrid. 

Whereas you're good at disagreeing with the majority opinion even when you're blatantly wrong.  

Are you telling me you want to go up against the likes of City, Chelsea or Arsenal playing the way we did against Blackburn & Preston??? 

Of course there are no guarantees that we'll get better within the next two seasons, as there isn't a guarantee we'd come straight back down if we were to pull a QPR, but I'd prefer to try the option that doesn't have the high probability of abject failure.

I swear your glass would be half empty even if it was spilling over the rim...

1 minute ago, Anon said:

Nobody is forcing you to renew your season ticket.

Just now, ramsbottom said:

I wish to fook he wouldn't... 

lol

Joking aside, it's clear Curtains just wants Derby to be awesome, and from that Point of View, I cannot argue with him. I think he needs to look beyond the success and what happens after it. Recent history is scattered with stories of poor planning, and ill-thought out plans. You only have to look at Wigan, Blackpool, Bolton in recent years, and yes, they all have unique stories, but it's very easy to crash and burn.

I voted for the first one because I thought nobody else would have done and I like messing stuff up.

Incredible that it has 7 votes (or 6, since I'm obviously going for the second option. As everyone should)

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

lol

Joking aside, it's clear Curtains just wants Derby to be awesome, and from that Point of View, I cannot argue with him. I think he needs to look beyond the success and what happens after it. Recent history is scattered with stories of poor planning, and ill-thought out plans. You only have to look at Wigan, Blackpool, Bolton in recent years, and yes, they all have unique stories, but it's very easy to crash and burn.

Pompey were in the prem with us! 

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

lol

We all do.  But most of us have the common sense to know the best way to achieve it.  If his model for success is WBA I think I might have to go and watch Burton.  Their game against Man U was one of the least exciting matches I've been unlucky enough to see in a very long time...

23 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Curtains, I will answer this totally honestly.

I would much prefer 10 years of competitive championship football, watching homegrown and hardworking players performing brilliantly and scoring worldclass goals, than be non-runners in the Premier League.  A league that is full of ignorance, attitude, delusion and entitlement. I have no interest in seeing the best players in the world playing for the opposition at all. I would not appreciate witnessing Sergio Aguero humiliating Richard Keogh just because he's one of the best strikers in the world. Even if Derby never get to the Premier League again in my lifetime, I could abide it as long as we remained entertaining and competitive.

My gripes under Nigel Clough were about us not appearing to be trying to win. My best times as a Derby fan were initially the early 90s, trying for promotion with Gabbiadini, Tommy Johnson, Simmo and co, we didn't succeed, but entertained and were competitive. I also enjoyed the last BBG season and first couple of PP seasons in the Premier League, but then we became dull and uncompetitive and it was depressing, as was most of the 00s (apart from the Burley play-off season).

I would suggest our last 3 seasons have been better as a Rams fan than say, Villa fans, Sunderland fans and Newcastle fans. BUT they have been in the PL with all the PL money. PL money doesn't negate PL misery.

Ok ill answer honestly. 

Ive more or less stopped going to away games as they bore me silly but I will watch them on the box. 

Home games at the IPRO have become a case of what will happen this week and I find some of the football very tedious at times. 

I often go to the ground thinking who will play this week and what will the tactics be and then I sit there thinking why can't we play better and beat this poor opposition.  

The thought of watching football in the Championship with no gaurantees it will get any better for another 2 seasons fills me with horror. 

Mel's academy policy fills me with dread because we just don't have the quality and caliber of players IMO coming through any time soon. 

Lets look at Will Hughes .

Why would he want to stay at Derby for 2 more seasons of Championship football. 

Mel has already said how do you attract quality players to the Championship and how do you sell it to them  

The Premier League is the place to be .

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

Ok ill answer honestly. 

Ive more or less stopped going to away games as they bore me silly but I will watch them on the box. 

Home games at the IPRO have become a case of what will happen this week and I find some of the football very tedious at times. 

I often go to the ground thinking who will play this week and what will the tactics be and then I sit there thinking why can't we play better and beat this poor opposition.  

The thought of watching football in the Championship with no gaurantees it will get any better for another 2 seasons fills me with horror. 

Mel's academy policy fills me with dread because we just don't have the quality and caliber of players IMO coming through any time soon. 

Lets look at Will Hughes .

Why would he want to stay at Derby for 2 more seasons of Championship football. 

Mel has already said how do you attract quality players to the Championship and how do you sell it to them  

The Premier League is the place to be .

I cannot argue with the first half of your post. Nor could Mel, but changes have been made.

I think you're being a bit rigid and short-termist with your academy views. The money is going in now, to product in the future. As for Will Hughes, maybe he needs to be better when he plays to earn a place in the PL, if that is what he wants.

As for attracting players, you're perversely going to find better players with better attitudes wanting to come to the Championship and fight a promotion than what you can recruit at the bottom end of the PL.

I think you need to sit back and remind yourself of the calibre we could attract last time. Eddie Lewis? Laurent Robert? Andy Griffin?. No thanks, I'd rather recruit high-end ambition in the championship, than journeyman parasites.

9 minutes ago, curtains said:

Ok ill answer honestly.

If that is the case, how on earth did you make it through 5 years under Clough? How did you make it through 5 minutes of Phil Brown?

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

The poll is asking if people want to go up this season and come straight back down or go up next season and stay there for 5 years.

Yes, there are no guarantees in reality but THE POLL is GUARANTEEING that we would come straight back down if we went up through the playoffs this season.

How anyone is voting for the first one I've no idea.

cba with Preston at home on a Tuesday night anymore

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I cannot argue with the first half of your post. Nor could Mel, but changes have been made.

I think you're being a bit rigid and short-termist with your academy views. The money is going in now, to product in the future. As for Will Hughes, maybe he needs to be better when he plays to earn a place in the PL, if that is what he wants.

As for attracting players, you're perversely going to find better players with better attitudes wanting to come to the Championship and fight a promotion than what you can recruit at the bottom end of the PL.

I think you need to sit back and remind yourself of the calibre we could attract last time. Eddie Lewis? Laurent Robert? Andy Griffin?. No thanks, I'd rather recruit high-end ambition in the championship, than journeyman parasites.

That was because the rewards at that time weren't as lucrative. 

We are financially more stable now thanks to  Peter Gadsby ,GSE and Mel Morris I hope. 

If we go up THIS SEASON through the the playoffs we could establish ourselves I have no doubt. 

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

That was because the rewards at that time weren't as lucrative. 

We are financially more stable now thanks to  Peter Gadsby ,GSE and Mel Morris I hope. 

If we go up THIS SEASON through the the playoffs we could establish ourselves I have no doubt. 

but everyone else in the PL benefits from the same relative lucrative rewards. So you still won't be able to attract the players.

It's going to be EVEN MORE lucrative the season after, and every season after that. The money is just going to grow, this season isn't the be all and end all. 

I like the Championship, I'll wait until I'm confident in the foundation that is the players/coach combo.

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

but everyone else in the PL benefits from the same relative lucrative rewards. So you still won't be able to attract the players.

You will in the Premier League. 

You can't in the Championship. 

PS Newcastle , Villa and say Norwich will make it harder next season along with Burton for Derby to win games. 

Just now, curtains said:

You will in the Premier League. 

You can't in the Championship. 

PS Newcastle , Villa and say Norwich will make it harder next season along with Burton for Derby to win games. 

I disagree. a Massive problem for ALL promoted sides is attracting good players for a relegation battle.

Archived