return of the long pass - and its importance.

davenportram

Just now, curtains said:

I must of but seriously Keogh sometimes hits long passes and they get cut out or are over hit.

Yeah he's not perfect at them but sometimes he does pull off a top long ball. Shackell tends to be the one that will aimlessly drift one down the channel that runs through for a goal kick. The most frustrating pass for me in football when someone does it. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ramos said:

Yeah he's not perfect at them but sometimes he does pull off a top long ball. Shackell tends to be the one that will aimlessly drift one down the channel that runs through for a goal kick. The most frustrating pass for me in football when someone does it. 

Shackall is defensively very good though and it's often about the movement of players ahead of him. 

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

Shackall is defensively very good though and it's often about the movement of players ahead of him. 

I agree, top defender and everyone knows including the other teams that distribution is not his strong point. So I understand that he tends to do that aimless ball when nothing is on. Its up to Wassall to make sure the midfielders and full backs support him when  he gets on the ball. 

7 minutes ago, davenportram said:

If its not on dont do it. Shackell needs to spot a pass quicker.

Think they all need to at times, which brings me to my point... Move the ball quicker the greater the reward, whatever pass is on. All three goals came from moving ball quick. Even if it goes slightly awry a lucky rebound etc might happen, Hendricks goal for instance 

10 minutes ago, curtains said:

Your sounding like Clement now lol and as I say it's often the movement of other players giving options  that is important  .

Pass and move  

the difference is Clement seemed to ignore the long pass option. Several times I saw a wide man start a run, a player look at him and then not attempt the pass in favour of 5 yarder to a player to his right.

8 minutes ago, davenportram said:

the difference is Clement seemed to ignore the long pass option. Several times I saw a wide man start a run, a player look at him and then not attempt the pass in favour of 5 yarder to a player to his right.

Blackburn and Wolves games will be interesting as to tactics and team selection etc .

Should be exciting I hope  

Good that Wassall said we are not getting carried away  .

It's about variety. If you only play short balls (the case under Clement) you become incredibly easy to defend against and your opponents can press you all over knowing you'll fairly quickly play yourselves into trouble. If you might go longer, then they are forced to sit off or risk being undone. It's not rocket science (said Rachel Riley and Ben Miller)...

Archived