Charity Collections - ipro

Sith Happens

This might seem quite mean, and i dont mean it that way, but does anyone else get fed up with the charity collections are the ipro?

I am not anti charity and do donate often, but at the ipro they do seem quite pushy sometimes, coming up rattling their tins or buckets at you, especially the past two matches there have been collectors for the same charity who have been very pushy, literally putting themselves in front of people and stopping them and directly asking individuals to donate and trying hard not to take no for an answer.

I always thought charity collectors were supposed to stand there and not shake their tins or buckets and not get in someones way or obstruct them.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there anything people don't complain/moan/bring up/don't like anymore...

People are doing this voluntary and only after a bit of spare silver or copper, fair enough if you don't want to give etc... You walk straight past.

If you want a moan.... Moan about why we should have to give to charities when majority of governments in this world could easily subsidise "insert name of cause" out of a public purse and declare it a public policy. But they choose not too. 

5 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Is there anything people don't complain/moan/bring up/don't like anymore...

People are doing this voluntary and only after a bit of spare silver or copper, fair enough if you don't want to give etc... You walk straight past.

If you want a moan.... Moan about why we should have to give to charities when majority of governments in this world could easily subsidise "insert name of cause" out of a public purse and declare it a public policy. But they choose not too. 

Bit hard to walk straight past when they stand in your way and move to block you when you try and move past.

I feel sorry for people who moan.

i feel sorry for people who moan about people who moan.

do you want to help?

just give £3 a month to Boyciesbackpocket.com to really make a difference.

£3 can fund electric to illumate a room so these guys can lighten the **** up!

They sometimes come in the pubs around the i-pro as well

one of them came up to me and my brother and asked 'have you got any change' to which he replied 'yeah but not for you' & she walked off

I felt pretty sorry for her but i couldnt stop chuckling 

16 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Bit hard to walk straight past when they stand in your way and move to block you when you try and move past.

The only people that I have encountered doing that are the pretty PR girls who try and drag you into a bar on lads holidays many moons ago... Was a good tactic to be fair, not as if I needed much encouragement to go in mind

6 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

The only people that I have encountered doing that are the pretty PR girls who try and drag you into a bar on lads holidays many moons ago... Was a good tactic to be fair, not as if I needed much encouragement to go in mind

i wouldnt be complaining either. Must be my honest looking face as has happened by the same group at both the last two matches to me. Normally i do just ignore or donate depending what it is or how i feel, just annoyed me.

I put a bit in someone's pot (:thumbsup:) at asda the other week and the bitch didn't even say a word to me. 

Them ones who get in formation in towns and cities to sign you up are the worst. They're usually studenty types. They come up and call you 'Bro' and 'Dude' and stuff,  trying to get down and that. I'd pay them a pound just so they stop calling me that. 

6 hours ago, scarboroughwa said:

Charity collectors are often paid a commission.

And then there is where your donation is going. Most decent size charities have the boss on about 150,000 quid pa,

I used to be on the board of trustees for a national charity and I bet none of you have heard of it - The Haemophilia Society UK. Charity work and raising funds is damn hard, especially for something like the HS as it provides support for such a small demographic and those not effected have totally the wrong idea because of over dramatisation by things like Casualty and Holby City.

I applaud those who are willing to stand in the wind and rain to try and raise a few quid BUT I completely agree with those in here complaining about the few who take it too far and bully you into donating. I also hate the ones at supermarkets that try and get you on your way out when you are leaving with a large trolley load, guilt tripping you into stopping and signing up or giving money as you have just spent X amount on your monthly shop. I especially hate them as I am on a low income due to disability but 90% of the time people cannot see the problems I have so I am perceived as 'normal'. I struggle to make ends meet so I cant give money yet I am looked down on with disgust for not giving anything.

I have also noticed a trend where I live (its an over 55's sheltered housing estate) where charities are posting those bags for donating to charity shops. No lie, we have at least 3 a week and within a month we will have at least one charity posting more than once. They know older people will give something regardless of their circumstances and so they keep returning. I am surprised an of my neighbours have any clothes or other items left in their houses judging from the amount of bags left kerb side.

Now on to the quoted post, it really annoys me that we have eleventy billion cancer chariites and another gazillion other charities that do exactly the same as the next one. They all come out saying we need your money, costs are going up so we need the extra cash. Well here is a good idea, stop saturating the charity sector with identikit charities. One charity for cancer, one for kids, one for animals, one for foreign aid, that way the money is put into better use. Going back to my time at The Haemophilia Society UK, we found it incredibly hard to obtain funding from corporations and public due to there being so many charities out there that people are having to donate to so many different charities there isnt enough to hand out to the smaller more obscure ones. Its dog eat in the charity sector because of this over saturation, doesnt help when 50%+ of donations go on running costs and wages.

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I can't stand the ones who pack for you at the supermarket checkout. Not only are they going to mess with my bag packing system but I've got to pay them to do it?. Bugger right off.

Most of the time it's a kids football club raising cash etc

2 hours ago, RicME85 said:

I used to be on the board of trustees for a national charity and I bet none of you have heard of it - The Haemophilia Society UK. Charity work and raising funds is damn hard, especially for something like the HS as it provides support for such a small demographic and those not effected have totally the wrong idea because of over dramatisation by things like Casualty and Holby City.

I applaud those who are willing to stand in the wind and rain to try and raise a few quid BUT I completely agree with those in here complaining about the few who take it too far and bully you into donating. I also hate the ones at supermarkets that try and get you on your way out when you are leaving with a large trolley load, guilt tripping you into stopping and signing up or giving money as you have just spent X amount on your monthly shop. I especially hate them as I am on a low income due to disability but 90% of the time people cannot see the problems I have so I am perceived as 'normal'. I struggle to make ends meet so I cant give money yet I am looked down on with disgust for not giving anything.

I have also noticed a trend where I live (its an over 55's sheltered housing estate) where charities are posting those bags for donating to charity shops. No lie, we have at least 3 a week and within a month we will have at least one charity posting more than once. They know older people will give something regardless of their circumstances and so they keep returning. I am surprised an of my neighbours have any clothes or other items left in their houses judging from the amount of bags left kerb side.

Now on to the quoted post, it really annoys me that we have eleventy billion cancer chariites and another gazillion other charities that do exactly the same as the next one. They all come out saying we need your money, costs are going up so we need the extra cash. Well here is a good idea, stop saturating the charity sector with identikit charities. One charity for cancer, one for kids, one for animals, one for foreign aid, that way the money is put into better use. Going back to my time at The Haemophilia Society UK, we found it incredibly hard to obtain funding from corporations and public due to there being so many charities out there that people are having to donate to so many different charities there isnt enough to hand out to the smaller more obscure ones. Its dog eat in the charity sector because of this over saturation, doesnt help when 50%+ of donations go on running costs and wages.

Absolutely, and I will probably never mention this again but I have been the (sole) Director of a Charity since 2010 so I did not write this comment lightly. And yes, I am a volunteer; no money, ever (in fact it costs a significant amount but we all have to do our bit).

The charity sector is a mess. In fact the non-government sector is a mess. As you say, there are loads of charities doing great work but their voice is lost in the white noise as most of the time those requiring assistance are not even aware that it is available.

It's a fair idea to have a charity for each sector but where there's money there're your very large snakes with not the slightest worry about taking as much advantage as possible. It goes all the way from the bottom to the top. e.g. I call for someone to conduct some kind of work (maintenance etc), and the price is hiked... because it's for a charity. Or there's the many people who come in for the free handouts who I know damn well are doing fine, and are there just because they can get stuff for free. No morals to worry about and no sleep lost from them. It's free and they just keep on coming back to get as much as they can get. Time and time and time again. Lots of them.

Unfortunately, I will be giving this away soon. It's certainly been an eye opener.

Archived