Steve Mac and the "Newcastle thing"

Mafiabob

Hindsight I may add, and Mac certainly didn't help himself...

But you think that was all smoke and mirrors stuff just 8 months ago....

For all those that criticise Mac etc... He certainly wasn't a yes man was he?

What really happened back in May? A clash of egos perhaps? 

His sacking seems even more shameful than this one now for me...

Im appalled by the events of today... Who can believe what the owner says now...

Time for you local media guys and girls to ask the questions.... With proper answers. We had Mac on toast previously.

Nows your chance to zero in on the owner and have him on radio or a full interview in the papers... Nothing contrived and explain full blown why we have been told one thing and they have gone and done another thing within the space of a few months.

Tough questions that need honest answers for once.

Your turn Ed Dawes, Owen Bradley, Steve Nicholson... Please be no holds barred...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mafiabob said:

Im appalled by the events of today... Who can believe what the owner says now...

Time for you local media guys and girls to ask the questions.... With proper answers. We had Mac on toast previously.

Nows your chance to zero in on the owner and have him on radio or a full interview in the papers... Nothing contrived and explain full blown why we have been told one thing and they have gone and done another thing within the space of a few months.

Your turn Ed Dawes, Owen Bradley, Steve Nicholson... Please be no holds barred...

1st to 8th wasn't good was it  

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

1st to 8th wasn't good was it  

If you think that was the reason why he got sacked after the events of today than I think you're being a tad niave... Not trying to criticise your point though. But I think that wasn't the reason now.

I was gutted about the Steve McClaren sacking and never really thought that he wanted to sell us out for a move to Newcastle, personally. 

I'm not saying there wasn't interest, but depending on which report you read, he apparently turned them down twice as he was committed here. Anyway, as that's old ground that doesn't need resurfacing, on to my next point: I felt with McClaren that we were a couple of players, perhaps a bit of squad depth, away from really kicking on. 

It genuinely pains me to think how well we played under McClaren at times. The unity in the squad, the fast paced attacking football and the amount of goals from every area on the pitch. It was a joy to watch. 

I just hope we get it back, although I don't think will be easy. 

7 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

If he hadn't been sacked he would still have gone to Newcastle

Just now, Mafiabob said:

If you think that was the reason why he got sacked after the events of today than I think you're being a tad niave... Not trying to criticise your point though. But I think that wasn't the reason now.

Fair enough but I'm not in the know m8  

Just listened to his interview after 0-3 defeat against Reading .

3 minutes ago, davenportram said:

really. I thought he got sacked because he wouldn't resign to take the Newcastle job.

Yes really. Do you believe what our chairman says anymore? 

3 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

If he hadn't been sacked he would still have gone to Newcastle

We don't know that though do we.... It's all big load of shambles

I think Mel has made some errors, but not in the areas suggested here, and he doesn't deserve grilling as hard as suggested. McClaren had to go, Clement was a justifiable decision. Time will tell whether it was the right one, but he can't have had many more games.

The problems have been in appointing the wrong manager, (which almost to a man we would have agreed with when Clement was appointed so we can't moan), and in blowing wedge on players who either aren't as good as billed or don't have the right  minerals. Neither I, nor many of us, can honestly say we were grumbling when the cheques were being signed either.

Reality check, fresh start, vital that we get this appointment right.

So lets get behind Mel, Wass and the lads and get some renewed optimism into the season. Saturday will be the first time since I set off to Middlesboro that I've been looking forward to a game with confidence and enthusiasm. Thanks Mel.

3 minutes ago, needles said:

I think Mel has made some errors, but not in the areas suggested here, and he doesn't deserve grilling as hard as suggested. McClaren had to go, Clement was a justifiable decision. Time will tell whether it was the right one, but he can't have had many more games.

The problems have been in appointing the wrong manager, (which almost to a man we would have agreed with when Clement was appointed so we can't moan), and in blowing wedge on players who either aren't as good as billed or don't have the right  minerals. Neither I, nor many of us, can honestly say we were grumbling when the cheques were being signed either.

Reality check, fresh start, vital that we get this appointment right.

So lets get behind Mel, Wass and the lads and get some renewed optimism into the season. Saturday will be the first time since I set off to Middlesboro that I've been looking forward to a game with confidence and enthusiasm. Thanks Mel.

No thanks from me Mel.... 

Would love to be proved wrong and have egg on my face... But today has been an absolute shambles of his own making.... 

Prove me wrong Mel... I wish you well in where you want us to go.

But 2 managers sacked in 8 months... Only points to one person to blame.... 

3 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

No thanks from me Mel.... 

Would love to be proved wrong and have egg on my face... But today has been an absolute shambles of his own making.... 

Prove me wrong Mel... I wish you well in where you want us to go.

But 2 managers sacked in 8 months... Only points to one person to blame.... 

McClaren left us nowhere to go but sack him and Clement failed to bring the football we wanted and Mel had shelled out for.

Not really only one person to blame then, although you can argue he got the wrong replacement for Mac. Didn't see anyone (me included) moaning at the time though so it's a bit rich to complain about it now.

1 minute ago, needles said:

McClaren left us nowhere to go but sack him and Clement failed to bring the football we wanted and Mel had shelled out for.

Not really only one person to blame then, although you can argue he got the wrong replacement for Mac. Didn't see anyone (me included) moaning at the time though so it's a bit rich to complain about it now.

You must of missed me in full voice about it throughout that time... Was one of the exceptions to the norm.... 

Even though I've defended Clement to the hilt on here, think it proves to me that Mac went because of egos clashing and Macs inability to be influenced. 

Obviuisly them last couple of lines are with the benefit of hindsight now

8 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

You must of missed me in full voice about it throughout that time... Was one of the exceptions to the norm.... 

Even though I've defended Clement to the hilt on here, think it proves to me that Mac went because of egos clashing and Macs inability to be influenced. 

Obviuisly them last couple of lines are with the benefit of hindsight now

Fair play then. 

When we went to Moor Farm to meet with Mel I think he basically said that McClaren always dreamed of the Newcastle job but was going to stay here. How focused he was and some players were is up for debate I think. 

People were turning on him anyway. 

Between injuries, ever changing personel in defence, Lee Grant and speculation the season couldn't end soon enough. 

But he wasn't trying to escape. His dream job was available though. Imagine the distraction and temptation. 

Anyway, look how happy all parties are now. 

Clueless Mac gone to those deluded Toon fans. While we're here with a proper manager with a plan B and - oh, he's gone. 

We have to remind ourselves that this has nothing to do with league position and all to do with our methodology. In other words its not a knee-jerk reaction to the recent losses (although they don't help) its the way the team haven't entertained all season. Didn't Mel state at the beginning he wanted to get back to & then see an improvement on the style of play we all enjoyed? Remember the policy is that if you improve the club (academy/facilities) improve the football with good exciting performances and good exciting players then promotion will follow?

The facilities ARE improving, the academy IS improving, PC bought into the plan and is responsible for the first team performance improvement but unfortunately after 33 competitive matches + pre-season friendlies the first team are not improving and PC seems powerless to effect anything.

If we are honest most of us have not enjoyed this seasons football.

Archived