Deadwood

mozza

1 minute ago, nottingram said:

Baird and Hanson aren't being used there though. We still haven't got proper cover for him.

I've never said we should throw them in, just that if one was good enough there's no path there for them. If Hughes was a 16 year old now, do you see him getting in anywhere? 

Absolutely yes. When you have that much talent you will work your way through.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Baird and Hanson aren't being used there though. We still haven't got proper cover for him.

I've never said we should throw them in, just that if one was good enough there's no path there for them. If Hughes was a 16 year old now, do you see him getting in anywhere? 

Hanson has been played in the holding role and he struggled at Hartlepool didn't he. 

As I say he's a good lad and he's still learning and I'm not averse to giving him chances  

Hughes was initially brought on slowly by Clough was it Huddersfield away he came on as a substitute and it was clear to see very quickly he was going to be a star.  

Baird is really a RB but Christie is playing well so he can't get in. 

Thorne is difficult to replace as he's so good. 

8 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Absolutely yes. When you have that much talent you will work your way through.

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

Hanson has been played in the holding role and he struggled at Hartlepool didn't he. 

As I say he's a good lad and he's still learning and I'm not averse to giving him chances  

Hughes was initially brought on slowly by Clough was it Huddersfield away he came on as a substitute and it was clear to see very quickly he was going to be a star.  

I don't. I think there's too much pressure now for results and there's too many players in the way. The first point there can't be helped I suppose, we're fighting promotion so pressure comes as a byproduct. But could you really see any manager dropping a £4m or a £6m player for a 16 year old? I don't personally think so. It's the same for any position as well. I just can't see a pathway for young players anymore. 

If we sign Olsson that will be 4 left full backs on the books and that don't include baird or shotton,hope we are not going back to the Jewel era 4 players for each position,A 44 player first team,Who was the last academy player brought into the 1st team squad,

10 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I don't. I think there's too much pressure now for results and there's too many players in the way. The first point there can't be helped I suppose, we're fighting promotion so pressure comes as a byproduct. But could you really see any manager dropping a £4m or a £6m player for a 16 year old? I don't personally think so. It's the same for any position as well. I just can't see a pathway for young players anymore. 

It's the same at any football club. 

Take Chelsea and Man U and Arsenal and Liverpool . They loan out players to give them game time as we have with Mason Bennett and recently Kawame Thomas who is now back with us and incidentally McClaren wouldn't use last season when Bent and Martin were injured as he preferred Russell up top  

When players are good enough they will find a way to get them playing but in the mean time DCFC footballers are getting paid better than most and that has to be something these days doesn't it  

PS Players can only go out on loan if other clubs want them  at the time  

15 minutes ago, trevor1946 said:

If we sign Olsson that will be 4 left full backs on the books and that don't include baird or shotton,hope we are not going back to the Jewel era 4 players for each position,A 44 player first team,Who was the last academy player brought into the 1st team squad,

Who's the 3 left backs that are fit then Trevor. 

Because Forsyth and Lowe who is untried at first team level are injured. 

We have Warnock but Baird is a RB not used to the LB role. 

So who's the 3 fit ones for this season !

9 minutes ago, curtains said:

It's the same at any football club. 

Take Chelsea and Man U and Arsenal and Liverpool . They loan out players to give them game time as we have with Mason Bennett and recently Kawame Thomas who is now back with us and incidentally McClaren wouldn't use last season when Bent and Martin were injured as he preferred Russell up top  

When players are good enough they will find a way to get them playing but in the mean time DCFC footballers are getting paid better than most and that has to be something these days doesn't it  

PS Players can only go out on loan if other clubs want them  at the time  

I know that's the way it is, but it's not the way it should be. Mel wants one coming through a season, can't see it I'm afraid. Too many players in the way.

19 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I know that's the way it is, but it's not the way it should be. Mel wants one coming through a season, can't see it I'm afraid. Too many players in the way.

But the signing of players like Luke Thomas from Cheltenham and young Lewis Walker from Ilson the son of Des are a good investment in the future I'm sure Darren Wassall and DCFC hope. 

Its a new era under Mel Morris IMO with the academy. 

PS The new academy facilities which are going to be built will attract good young players 

51 minutes ago, curtains said:

Not to replace him, but he has picked up the odd knock for which he needs to recover and he is not at full fitness. When he isn't there we seem to try all sorts of weird stuff like dropping BJ and Butterfield back to play 2 holding midfielders - which i don't think has been successful as neither of them naturally are. So we don't have a replacement for the Eustace role of the last few seasons.

3 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Not to replace him, but he has picked up the odd knock for which he needs to recover and he is not at full fitness. When he isn't there we seem to try all sorts of weird stuff like dropping BJ and Butterfield back to play 2 holding midfielders - which i don't think has been successful as neither of them naturally are. So we don't have a replacement for the Eustace role of the last few seasons.

No your right but heaven help us if Derby spend anymore money. .

Some fans don't like us spending .

I mean look at the fuss about Blackman and Camara. 

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

No your right but heaven help us if Derby spend anymore money. .

Some fans don't like us spending .

I mean look at the fuss about Blackman and Camara. 

i would try Baird. Surely he couldn't slow the game down any more??? And it at least would give purpose to his season as he must be increasingly fed up. Didn't he say he would have to go out on loan or else he might not be in the NI euro's squad?

presume he must have come here expecting to play majority of season. Wonder what lines the others have been given?

Blackman and Camara should be fine. I would have kept Blackman in training a bit longer before sticking him in the first team - like we did with George when he joined on loan in 2014. THAT smacks of panic - how's he (Blackman) supposed to get on being put into an unfamiliar role with a group of unfamiliar teammates?

21 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

i would try Baird. Surely he couldn't slow the game down any more??? And it at least would give purpose to his season as he must be increasingly fed up. Didn't he say he would have to go out on loan or else he might not be in the NI euro's squad?

presume he must have come here expecting to play majority of season. Wonder what lines the others have been given?

Blackman and Camara should be fine. I would have kept Blackman in training a bit longer before sticking him in the first team - like we did with George when he joined on loan in 2014. THAT smacks of panic - how's he (Blackman) supposed to get on being put into an unfamiliar role with a group of unfamiliar teammates?

When's Thornes injured yes I agree with Baird or you have Hanson but he is more of a gamble at the moment for me as I still think he is better at CB 

2 hours ago, curtains said:

Mozza  you are pulling Derby County down with this stuff.               How am i ?

I mean deadwood that's an insult right.      Only to the signings that aren't any better than we already have

Get behind the team for goodness sake.        i'm 100% behind the team .

Glad you put your tin hat on                        Judging by the majority response , i didn't need it ..

So , you're in the 'let's go sign the first available player as soon as we have a mini crisis camp'

are you ? , that's fine mate , i'm more concerned with how we are going to offload a lot of the 

signings who aren't up to standard , when our first choice , injured players return ..

We all have opinions , even you ..

:)

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

The normal way my friend is that they get some bench appearances first, get the odd game time towards the end of a match. Would you really want a 16 year old in the team? I am thinking more of 18-20 year olds from the U21 set up. Do you think that the club are stupid enough to be spending all this money on the academy just for the hell of it?

17 hours ago, robglosta said:

Is there not some thought going into the plans for next season? By this, I mean of course the main aim is to push for top 3 this season, but if we fall short perhaps Mel and Clement are looking at what the first XI might look like next season, with the aim of shifting a few on in the close season? Of course, this plan could be the same if we got promoted as many players would need to be shifted, but perhaps the Camara, Blackman/Martin, Olsson etc are with an eye on what might be put together once Clement has cut his teeth, so to speak.

A derivation of this team would storm the league next year:

Carson

Christie Keogh Shackell Forsyth/Olsson

Thorne Hughes/Bryson Butterfield 

Ince Martin/Blackman Camara (once settled)

Outs:

Shotton

Weimann

Warnock

Pearce/Buxton 

Bent 

Or similar...

I hate to tell you, they are already playing this year, and they're not exactly storming anything.

16 minutes ago, mozza said:

So , you're in the 'let's go sign the first available player as soon as we have a mini crisis camp'

are you ? , that's fine mate , i'm more concerned with how we are going to offload a lot of the 

signings who aren't up to standard , when our first choice , injured players return ..

We all have opinions , even you ..

:)

I'm not bothered about the fact we have too many players which I don't think we do and  the players in the team or out of it get paid very very well a lot better than most people in this country. 

If Derby get promoted to the Premier League they will get bonuses which will also renumerate them. 

Do you think the players are hard done to because I don't and they have to earn their places  .

You need a big squad to get promoted to cover for injuries etc and you need a good academy  

If a position needs strenghing and the right player comes on the market at the right place then that's fine  

I'm struggling to understand why people worry so much about this bacause if we make the Premier League this time around it's worth 180 Million pounds  

Up the Rams  

20 minutes ago, bcnram said:

The normal way my friend is that they get some bench appearances first, get the odd game time towards the end of a match. Would you really want a 16 year old in the team? I am thinking more of 18-20 year olds from the U21 set up. Do you think that the club are stupid enough to be spending all this money on the academy just for the hell of it?

I understand that but you said Will Hughes would definitely still have made it here if he was 16 now. I was just giving my reason why I thought he wouldn't, given he was starting games at 16.

It's all well and good saying give them experience off the bench, but we don't have room for any academy players on the bench in the first place. Darren Bent and Craig Bryson can't even get on the bench so what hope do any academy boys have? That's why I think we have too many players and that's why as much as it might be the plan, I just don't think it will happen. 

Archived