At least we have now got Nick if Chris gets injured.

Curtains

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Sorry Curtains, reading that back looks somewhat arsey!

Didn't mean it that way, but fail to see how he backs up Martin any better than Bent?

No worries  

Hes different to Bent .

Bent plays on the last man trying to beat the offside trap hoping for balls in behind etc. 

Bent is a goalscorer and goal poacher . 

Him and Ince worked well together in the 4-0 defeat of Bristol City but next game I think it was Ipswich away which we won 1-0 Chris Martin returned and kept his place. 

I must admit I haven't seen a lot of Nick Blackman but on first look he looks more similar to Martin in the way he can hold the ball up and bring others into play and is more of a target man than Bent .

Dont forget players need time on the training ground with team mates to work things out . ie systems etc and generally getting used to what is needed to interplay with others .

Blackman clearly has an eye for goal so give him time  

Bent has done no wrong and Martin is a fans favorite 

19 minutes ago, barnsley ram said:

last year we lost games because we could not keep goals out so i dont understand your comment about missing chris martin werent we leading scorers or there abouts

That's a fair comment and that's what Mel Morris said at the fans forum with Clement etc. 

But look at that another way. 

If you don't have a target man holding the ball up often the ball comes straight back at the midfield and defence and they are under pressure and concede more goals  

Defending is a team game .

I would rather win 2-0 than 5-3 as this shows the manager we have  a better all round game. 

We were drawing games 4-4 and 3-3 at the end of last season which is not ideal. 

58 minutes ago, curtains said:

No worries  

Hes different to Bent .

Bent plays on the last man trying to beat the offside trap hoping for balls in behind etc. 

Bent is a goalscorer and goal poacher . 

Him and Ince worked well together in the 4-0 defeat of Bristol City but next game I think it was Ipswich away which we won 1-0 Chris Martin returned and kept his place. 

I must admit I haven't seen a lot of Nick Blackman but on first look he looks more similar to Martin in the way he can hold the ball up and bring others into play and is more of a target man than Bent .

Dont forget players need time on the training ground with team mates to work things out . ie systems etc and generally getting used to what is needed to interplay with others .

Blackman clearly has an eye for goal so give him time  

Bent has done no wrong and Martin is a fans favorite 

When we loaned Thorne in he was training with the team for a couple of months before being put into the team.

This probably considerably helped him to make the significant contribution to the latter part of the season. 

If blackman has been bought as cover or as plan b or to gee Martin up then why throw him in if he is unpractised?  Seems a risk to me.

11 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

When we loaned Thorne in he was training with the team for a couple of months before being put into the team.

This probably considerably helped him to make the significant contribution to the latter part of the season. 

If blackman has been bought as cover or as plan b or to gee Martin up then why throw him in if he is unpractised?  Seems a risk to me.

I think what happened after the Reading game allegedly probably annoyed Clement and we will as fans never know but he was angry with the team  

Martin played poor against Reading as did the whole team so I think it was just circumstances to be honest that brought Blackman in straight away 

Martin came on 2nd half  against Brum along with Camara and  Butterfield when we were losing already and it had limited effect as we were chasing the game and we conceded again  

let's just move on to the Burnley game after a weeks training and get back on track  

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

I think what happened after the Reading game allegedly probably annoyed Clement and we will as fans never know .

Martin played poor against Reading as did the whole team so I think it was just circumstances to be honest. 

Martin came on 2nd half  against Brum along with Camara and  Butterfield when we were losing already and it had limited effect as we were chasing the game and we conceded again  

let's just move on to the Burnley game after a weeks training and get back on track  

For this one I will be right behind the lads in the local, being patronised by all the local Saints ☺

i think reading snuffed out the threat of the wide players by doubling up on ince and russel so perhaps we need a plan b but i thought we didnt adapt especially the midfield who seemed to take up each others space its hard to blame the players surely its the managers job to change things not only by substitution but by changing the system same thing happened against brum to make three subs with 25 minutes to go smacks to me of desperation

3 minutes ago, barnsley ram said:

i think reading snuffed out the threat of the wide players by doubling up on ince and russel so perhaps we need a plan b but i thought we didnt adapt especially the midfield who seemed to take up each others space its hard to blame the players surely its the managers job to change things not only by substitution but by changing the system same thing happened against brum to make three subs with 25 minutes to go smacks to me of desperation

Times change. In maclarens early days he would make 3 subs and we would say  "bold, decisive, going for the win".

To be fair there were also occasions like Leicester away where he also did it out of apparent desperation.

I find it an odd pick. 3 million ( reported) for a not hugely prolific goal scorer who is 26 and has played for 9 clubs now and not really top flight. Now I say this without malice and wish the lad well and hope he turns out to be key to our successful promotion push. 

However... We have a really prolific goal scorer who has umpteen England caps, has played the vast majority of his career in premier league and has scored over 150 goals at that level. I really do find all this a bit odd. 

19 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

I find it an odd pick. 3 million ( reported) for a not hugely prolific goal scorer who is 26 and has played for 9 clubs now and not really top flight. Now I say this without malice and wish the lad well and hope he turns out to be key to our successful promotion push. 

However... We have a really prolific goal scorer who has umpteen England caps, has played the vast majority of his career in premier league and has scored over 150 goals at that level. I really do find all this a bit odd. 

I assume your talking about Chris Martin .

Did he get injured last season for a very long period. 

Oh he's Scottish .

You are talking Darren Bent. 

Archived