Are you a half fan if you don't go to every game

Curtains

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a 5 year break from being a st holder for reasons entirely unavoidable. Of course you can have an opinion but if you don't go you have to keep it in mind that you only have other people's opinions to make your judgements on. Radio Derby, Twitter etc are other people's way of seeing things, not necessarily the truth. 

Anyway, all you blokes out there now know what it's like to be female, you aren't allowed an opinion about football :whistle:

Depends if you watch every game in full before you comment. 

As Ewe has said above, if you're listening on the radio or on Matchday Chat for example all you're doing is relaying another persons bias opinion. 

Dont get me wrong, you can still form an opinion from that, but its not really your opinion. You're just relaying what another person wanted you to feel like. 

7 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I had a 5 year break from being a st holder for reasons entirely unavoidable. Of course you can have an opinion but if you don't go you have to keep it in mind that you only have other people's opinions to make your judgements on. Radio Derby, Twitter etc are other people's way of seeing things, not necessarily the truth. 

Anyway, all you blokes out there now know what it's like to be female, you aren't allowed an opinion about football :whistle:

Problem with being a Derby County fan is that if you don't go home and away you somehow don't know what your talking about .

My opinion last night was that  the 4-2-3-1 didn't work at all  

To compound the problem when we brought Hendrick on we took Johnson off and didn't revert to 4-3-3 .

The change became irrelevant as we were getting outnumbered in the middle of the park  

The Chris Martin debate is now bordering ridiculous.

Fans on one side saying he's the best striker ever and the other side saying what's he doing on the pitch  

I hear the argument I feel sorry for Chris Martin 

Really  ! 

A fan is a fan, I don't get all of this half fan b0110cks.

I will be honest, I take no notice of opinions such as 'we didn't sound good on the radio' but it doesn't mean I disregard them as a fan.

I used to go to every game home and away, but very rarely go away these days. Is it because I am less of a fan? No it's because I have children who I want to spend time with at the weekends!

I don't know if it's even that you don't go home and away exactly, Curtains, it's more that some fans just think that they are never wrong, and to put some strength behind their opinion they start with the 'I go to every game so I have seen every minute so I know better', which is absolute garbage of course. Some people could watch it on a loop 24/7 and still have ridiculous opinions. 

9 minutes ago, Chris Mills said:

Depends if you watch every game in full before you comment. 

As Ewe has said above, if you're listening on the radio or on Matchday Chat for example all you're doing is relaying another persons bias opinion. 

Dont get me wrong, you can still form an opinion from that, but its not really your opinion. You're just relaying what another person wanted you to feel like. 

Most fans just go to home games to form their opinion as that's all they can manage due to finances and commitments etc. 

Its not valid to say because you go to all games home and away you somehow know more than the rest or do you !

6 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I don't know if it's even that you don't go home and away exactly, Curtains, it's more that some fans just think that they are never wrong, and to put some strength behind their opinion they start with the 'I go to every game so I have seen every minute so I know better', which is absolute garbage of course. Some people could watch it on a loop 24/7 and still have ridiculous opinions. 

Oh so you know the argument they make. 

Did you go here did you go there if not you don't know what you're talking about. 

Martin is the best striker 

We've only lost so many games this season etc etc 

Does it really matter, I have seen so much crap posted on here in the last 12 hours from people that went to the game, so why single out the half fans :-D

Just now, Leeds Ram said:

Does it really matter, I have seen so much crap posted on here in the last 12 hours from people that went to the game, so why single out the half fans :-D

You are falling into the trap that you know better than other posters with you're opinion on their posts  

1 minute ago, curtains said:

Most fans just go to home games to form their opinion as that's all they can manage due to finances and commitments etc. 

Its not valid to say because you go to all games home and away you somehow know more than the rest or do you !

I don't go to all away games and still have an opinion - but I just don't post on here about it, but that's my choice because I don't think I can put together an unbiased, well informed argument. I'm not saying you shouldn't share your opinion on here of course if you think you can do so  

I didn't realise your question in the title was different, so it doesn't make you any less of a fan to not go to every Derby game or even one a year. But of course it makes a difference to how well informed your opinion is because a highlight reel, Radio commentary etc can portray a match however they want. At the end of the day though we are all amatures and only see the team play for maybe 90-180 minutes per week so all of our opinions can probably be taken with a pinch of salt whether you have never been to a Derby game or been to every one since 1884!

6 minutes ago, curtains said:

Did you go here did you go there if not you don't know what you're talking about. 

Is this just another Martin is sh1t3 thread?

How many games we have lost is a matter of fact not opinion!

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Is this just another Martin is sh1t3 thread?

How many games we have lost is a matter of fact not opinion!

How many have we drawn is also matter of fact  

Nothing to do with Chris Martin but I didn't rate his performance last night right or wrong  

For what it's worth my opinion is Clement got it wrong last night  and the players looked lost in that system of 4-2-3-1 .

His substitution didn't make sense ie bringing one midfielder on and taking another off  

7 minutes ago, curtains said:

There's a lot of fans who use anything they can to convince us that they are right, attendance at every game being one of them. 

My personal opinion is that Martin may well be our best striker, but he's not doing it at the moment and I've run out of patience with him. Doesn't make him a bad player but he's not contributing what I think he's capable of at the moment. Being our leading goal scorer is one thing but more relevant is that he's not scored for a few months. 

I love these kind of discussions. Stick the kettle on because this will be a long one.

You will have season ticket holders take a pop at others opinions, did you even go to the game? quiet time for you! and that's ok, I do get it. I totally understand whilst you're sat at home you can't really have a full on view of the game through the words of Ed Dawes.

BUT......

And here is where it get's interesting because the same season ticket holders will then discuss the best teams in the Championship, they will write signings off before they've pulled on a Derby shirt, they will declare our midfield to be the best in the league or Boro's. How do they come to such opinions when they could only have seen them at least once by now this season if we have played X team at home or they went to the away games?

Oh away games, the away games they listen to the radio like the rest of us peasants, following Twitter and then lay into the team if we don't win, sell Martin, change formation, do this, do that, boo him, screw that......but did you even go to the game?

Hypocrites.

Anyone been in the South Stand? you will have seen theses kind of fans, the fans that come up the stairs 5 minutes into the first half, staggering up the stairs slurring away, bumping their knuckles on the steps as they go up. The same ones that come charging down the stairs on 35 minutes to get another watered down Carlsberg as it's been 40 minutes without any alcohol. I would love to know what their opinion from the game was and how much they actually remember of it.

We also have the fans that I'm sure only attend games now for the likes, retweets and YouTube views, the fans that spend the entire game with a phone up in the air recording, ready to catch that goal. You will see one online already of Shackell's goal, I half love and half hate these videos, seeing the fans celebrate as it goes in from the stands but then questioning why, why are you sat there with your phone out the entire game for social media glory. No wonder the atmosphere is also flat!

You know what the difference is between the Baseball Ground and the iPro? it's not acoustics, it's mobile phones.

Now I have also been a season ticket holder in the North Stand, I've watched games from all the stands in the ground now and you can not see everything whilst at the game. If you are sat in the North Stand you will not see if a player is offside or not, you will not see if the defender got the ball before the man. If you say you can you are a liar or have a pair of binoculars. The West and East if you are near the halfway line, you will have a better overall view of the game, I still maintain you will struggle to call a foul or offside accurately but you get a far better view of the whole game, not just one half than either end of the pitch.

Being a season ticket holder does not guarantee you have a superior opinion on the game or incidents from the game.

Boys and girls this is 2016 and we have the internet, what a glorious invention it is as well.

On the internet you will find a little website called Rams Player and for just £5pm you can watch the full 90, all be it from a single camera angle just a couple of days later. Fans sat at home across the country and abroad are not totally clueless, opinions are not based on just tweets and radio commentary, we and I include myself as the chairman of the armchair dcfc fans group are fully aware of what is going on the pitch.....just a couple of days later.

Midweek games SSN show the goals going in so we get that instant replay of the goals where we also have the ability to rewind and view again, weekend games the short video of chances and goals are on Sky Sports within the hour, again with the ability to rewind and watch again before you've had chance to stick the kettle on.

Yes you can have an opinion if your sat at home in Grimsby or on a beach in Florida, yes you can and don't be afraid to air it. This forum was not built for a season ticket holder only love in, you do not need to swipe your card to login, you do not have to keep quiet fearing of speaking up as you may be speaking more sense that Wally or went to the game. 

And season ticket holders looking down on others that may have family or working commitments, others that are not in the same financial position to afford a season ticket or go to every away game, fans that have disabilities preventing them from getting to games or are unable due to the ridiculous train times. Count yourself lucky, enjoy the football, soak it up because it's ******* brilliant this sport but don't think for a second that you are any more of a fan than iRam sat in Brighton, Muespach sunbathing in Florida, CumbrianRam swimming in Carlisle or Daveo that never get's round to his driving test and has to rely on his missus to get to games because he's a lazy git. We're all Derby County fans, full fans, all with our own unique circumstances so next time you ask did you even go to the game bro, you sir are a fool.

Off for my morning poo now.

My two penneth, then I'm steering clear of this minefield...

Only thing you struggle with if you don't go to the games is the feelings in the ground, the atmosphere of it all, how it really feels to be in it. It's a hell of a lot easier to be in a different country and look at this objectively and pass comment about possibly booing etc.

Archived