Webmail advice

Wolfie

My folks have had yahoo email for donkeys but have been getting increasingly frustrated with it slowing down - to the point that it now takes several minutes for them to type an email. Apparently this common with Yahoo. Otherwise their laptop is healthy and, though their broadband isn't quick, they can watch iPlayer without issues so email shouldn't be slow.

Being the only IT guru in the family, they have asked me for help.....

My first thought is to set them up with Gmail, as I've used it for ages and have never had any problems with it. Am I missing a trick, though?. Is there a better alternative?. Is the only solution to move away from Yahoo?.

The standard email forwarding period on old email accounts to Gmail is 30 days. Anyone know if this can be extended?. I know they will be concerned about updating all their online contact details.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Chris Mills said:

I personally like Outlook (Used to be Hotmail) but it's all down to personal preference. They're all pretty much the same.

This. I have 2 outlook accounts and a gmail account and I see very little difference between them.

I am moving from advising on free email services like Hotmail and Gmail, more messages sent are finding spam folders due to increase in spam security with both Microsoft and Google, I would set up your free email address that is given by your broadband supplier or pay a small subscription to allow your email provider to monitor the service.

I use Gmail and forward all my old ISP email accounts to it, so everything appears in a single inbox. Been doing that for years and it's never been a problem. If the Yahoo email you are migrating from has POP3 settings then it should work just the same

My only concern with Gmail is that they seem to read keywords from your emails to serve ads into the sidebar, so I installed adblocker. Still a bit creepy though

Thanks to all for the advice. Good point @Mostyn6 that they have loads of junk email coming through to their yahoo account. Not malicious spam but just newsletters & adverts from websites they've bought stuff from etc. By moving to Gmail, all that will stop after 30 days.

Sounds like a plan.

It's quite a burden, being the designated family IT whizz, even though being nothing of the sort.

Archived