Is it safe to have a view about defeat at Boro yet. Was defeat really victory

Curtains

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, curtains said:

You would have thought we won .

Did we play well or was it an off day. 

Not really, all I can say is a draw would be great result but Boro deserved the win. 2nd goal way offside :( 

3 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Not really, all I can say is a draw would be great result but Boro deserved the win. 2nd goal way offside :( 

A draw would of been a great result I agree and it was disappointing to lose 2 late goals 

Do you think this squad could compete in the Premier League if we get there. 

Just now, curtains said:

A draw would of been a great result 

With Clement in charge yes they would. Why are you asking all these questions???

1 minute ago, curtains said:

I hate questions like this, how many clubs have gone up to the Premier League and competed without spending a penny?

2 minutes ago, Daveo said:

I hate questions like this, how many clubs have gone up to the Premier League and competed without spending a penny?

What's the difference between spending now and buying quality to get up and spending when you get up. 

120 million pounds I suppose. 

Some players will have to move on if we get promoted though. 

Thats the dilemma convincing players to want it enough IMO 

Just now, curtains said:

What's the difference between spending now and buying quality to get up and spending when you get up. 

120 million pounds I suppose. 

Some players will have to move on if we get promoted though. 

I don't know what you're getting at, you asked if this squad could compete in the Premier League, I'll ask you again, how many clubs have been promoted and competed without spending a penny?

To answer yours, we have spent money now £25m to help us go up...can you ever remember a season where Derby have spent this much? I can't. You can't build a complete squad to compete in the Premier League whilst you are in the Championship, to buy those better quality players that help you compete you need to be able to say we are a Premier League club and you will be playing Premier League football if you join us. Not promises, maybes, if you join us we could be.

11 minutes ago, Daveo said:

I don't know what you're getting at, you asked if this squad could compete in the Premier League, I'll ask you again, how many clubs have been promoted and competed without spending a penny?

To answer yours, we have spent money now £25m to help us go up...can you ever remember a season where Derby have spent this much? I can't. You can't build a complete squad to compete in the Premier League whilst you are in the Championship, to buy those better quality players that help you compete you need to be able to say we are a Premier League club and you will be playing Premier League football if you join us. Not promises, maybes, if you join us we could be.

I don't know of any clubs who have been promoted to the Premier League and competed and not spent money on new players  at the expense of the players who got them promoted in the first place. 

Thats why you have bonus systems in place to give players insensitive to try and  get promoted if they are going to loose their place in the higher league when it happens. 

Thats a dilemma for players. 

If we'd have lost a game like that a year ago, I would have been in full on panic mode! However, with what happened with us last season we more than anyone know that there's a long way to go yet.

Boro were 4 points off Hull only a couple of months ago and now look, that could always swing back too!

First aim is to pull away from Hull & 10 points from the remaining games in the month, with hopefully Hull dropping a couple more would be great and hopefully open up a bit of a gap.

ONE GAME AT A TIME! 

hi all

Here are what I think are the real conclusions to draw from this game, and why it was so significant.

1.  PC made a 'stick or twist' judgement call that came unstuck and he has admitted as such, maybe on another day he would have kept things unchanged and grabbed a point.  Respect to him for being honest, I do like the way he goes about things, top bloke IMO.

2.  We now know that with this squad we can't beat a team (Boro) that will presumably be in the bottom half of the Prem next season.  Therefore we do need to strengthen either now or in the summer (or both?) in order to go up and stay up. Hence the recent signing, with possibly more to come.  Discussion topic - who stays & who goes?

3.  Good things - we have the money and if we sign wisely we can do a Leicester, or at least a Southampton.  

4.  Not so good things - the demotivating effect on a tightly knit squad of bringing in new players (glory hunters some of them perhaps?) to possible cries of "where were you when we were ****?

5.  The nightmare that haunts us all...whisper it...2007-8...better to stay top 6 in the Champ than go through THAT again?

LR2

Archived