Will this game decide the champions?

toddy

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something tells me we are giving Boro a bit too much credit here

yes , they are on a good run and have had some excellent results in big games. But so have we. And I have been a huge fan of their two midfielders , Clayton and lead bitter. They have a centre half who looked decidedly average when playing for us and Norwich. Not so long ago I watched Boro play qpr at home and were incredibly fortunate to win. On the night QPR were the better team and deserved to win. They have lost twice as many games this season as us including at home to Bristol city  and away to hull and reading. 

i think it's really important that we don't approach tomorrow's game with some sort of inferiority complex. We have to be positive and believe we can win, which we know we are more than capable of . If we play 'not to lose' there is every chance we will do

so my answer to the original question is no. It's far too early and close to call yet. Apologies if this would have been better on the match day thread.

53 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Yes it will. I know there are a lot of games left but Boro look too good. They have played all of their promotion rivals away (barring Burnley) so will steamroll the second half of the season. If Boro win this game I can't see us catching them.

No it doesn't. 

Just now, 11carl00 said:

Clayton is meant to be a doubt for this game too

Perhaps mind game but it'll be a massive blow for them if true. 

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Yes it does. If Boro win we won't catch them simples. They also have a game in hamd

Anything can happen in the Championship though. 'Boro could suffer and injury crisis like we did last year or maybe some big clubs will come for there players in January and disrupt the team spirit.

As McClaren used to say one game wont define our season. 

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Yes it does. If Boro win we won't catch them simples. They also have a game in hand

Well, by the same token if we win and Brighton and Hull lose today, then we are guaranteed promotion.

Only it doesn't work like that.

Just now, TheDeadlySaul said:

Anything can happen in the Championship though. 'Boro could suffer and injury crisis like we did last year or maybe some big clubs will come for there players in January and disrupt the team spirit.

As McClaren used to say one game wont define our season. 

Yes that's right but Boro are a lot more solid in defence than we were under Mac which means that even when they go on their bad spell they will be able to grind out wins. Only conceding 2 at home all season is a brilliant record and they have all of their promotion rivals at home in the second half of the season so it's in their hands. I think that Boro are better than us and if we both go up they will have a better chance of surviving. I'm not ashamed to say that though because as a boro fan said on the matchday thread, they have had the last couple of years perfecting their system and formation under Karanka whereas this is Clement's first season.

14 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Yes it does. If Boro win we won't catch them simples. They also have a game in hamd

If your so confident at predicting the future perhaps you could help me with my bet selection.Only half way through the season any team capable of dropping points Borough had a few lucky wins squeezing 1 nil victories along the way and are no means infallible ,sure they will go up this season but if you are going to predict what happens for half the season why not predict it all! And not bother p!aying or watching any games at all

1 minute ago, ram1964 said:

If your so confident at predicting the future perhaps you could help me with my bet selection.Only half way through the season any team capable of dropping points Borough had a few lucky wins squeezing 1 nil victories along the way and are no means infallible ,sure they will go up this season but if you are going to predict what happens for half the season why not predict it all! And not bother p!aying or watching any games at all

Their 1 nil wins may seem lucky but if you watched their games they had their games in control and didn't look like conceding. 

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Yes that's right but Boro are a lot more solid in defence than we were under Mac which means that even when they go on their bad spell they will be able to grind out wins. Only conceding 2 at home all season is a brilliant record and they have all of their promotion rivals at home in the second half of the season so it's in their hands. I think that Boro are better than us and if we both go up they will have a better chance of surviving. I'm not ashamed to say that though because as a boro fan said on the matchday thread, they have had the last couple of years perfecting their system and formation under Karanka whereas this is Clement's first season.

We are also a lot more solid defensively then we are last season and have only conceded three more goals than 'Boro, they have also lost more games than us showing that we are harder to beat in this league. 

If we lose this it won't define our season, we started off poorly due to having a lot new players and a new manager if we didn't have this poor start  we would have been further at the top as a lot of those games were very winnable (Bolton, Charlton, Leeds). 

You are also forgetting that 'Boro lost 3-0 against Hull and 1-0 against Bristol showing the unpredictability of this league. 

Long long way to go yet,nerves will come into play near the end of the season and few teams if any are immune to that. The thing that worries me is that everyone goes on about our strength in depth but the quality is simply not there .

If Shacks is missing then we simply do not look the same at the back ,and Grant is a big downgrade on Carson mainly in composure more than ability.

If we play like we did at Hull then we will get something ,play as we did against Forest or Leeds then we lose and they will be hard to catch.

1 minute ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

We are also a lot more solid defensively then we are last season and have only conceded three more goals than 'Boro, they have also lost more games than us showing that we are harder to beat in this league. 

If we lose this it won't define our season, we started off poorly due to having a lot new players and a new manager if we didn't have this poor start  we would have been further at the top as a lot of those games were very winnable (Bolton, Charlton, Leeds). 

You are also forgetting that 'Boro lost 3-0 against Hull and 1-0 against Bristol showing the unpredictability of this league. 

I'm not denying that. :) I was comparing Boro's team to ours under Mcclaren. I'm not saying if we lose it will define our season. I'm saying that if we lose I can't see us catching them because they have a game in hand and have most of their promotion rivals at home in the second half of the season. Everyone goes on about our poor start but if you remember Boro also had a poor start to the season. Their game against Hull was a freak result, I'm certain it won't happen again this season. Anyway it doesn't matter if we go up as champions, I just want promotion no matter how we do it.

8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I'm not denying that. :) I was comparing Boro's team to ours under Mcclaren. I'm not saying if we lose it will define our season. I'm saying that if we lose I can't see us catching them because they have a game in hand and have most of their promotion rivals at home in the second half of the season. Everyone goes on about our poor start but if you remember Boro also had a poor start to the season. Their game against Hull was a freak result, I'm certain it won't happen again this season. Anyway it doesn't matter if we go up as champions, I just want promotion no matter how we do it.

You just seem so adamant that this game will decide who is champions when there is still half a season to go where so many things could happen. I'm sure most people didn't see our collapse last season coming. 

19 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Most of their defeats came right at the start of the season and have had harder games. I'd rather be in their position than ours.

You also emphasised your original point by saying 'simples', which automatically ensures that nobody will ever take you seriously.

It's a tough old internet out there.

Just now, eddie said:

You also emphasised your original point by saying 'simples', which automatically ensures that nobody will ever take you seriously.

It's a tough old internet out there.

Because I firmly believe, as do a lot of neutrals I might add, that this is Boro's championship to lose due to the nature of their impressive home form and the strength of their squad.

Archived