Will this game decide the champions?

toddy

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Daveo said:

If we were in May I would say yes. We're in January so not a chance. No way Pedro.

In recent seasons Cardiff, Leicester and Bournemouth all top 1st January & all top at the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, toddy said:

In recent seasons Cardiff, Leicester and Bournemouth all top 1st January & all top at the end of the season.

In that case Boro have already won it regardless of today as its January 2nd

18 minutes ago, Daveo said:

In that case Boro have already won it regardless of today as its January 2nd

Forest won it in August the season before.

I have checked the championship tables from 2007/08 season to present to see who was top January 1st and where that team finished the season.

Jan 1st                 Champions

2007/08- WBA                      WBA

2008/09- Wolves                  Wolves

2009/10 -Newcastle             Newcastle

2010/11 -QPR                      QPR

2011/12- Southampton         Reading [Southampton finished 2nd]

2012/13-Cardiff                     Cardiff

2013/14 -Leicester                Leicester

2014/15-Bournemouth         Bournemouth

Apart from 2011/12 season all the teams that were top Jan 1st look as though they got stronger and ended up as champions.

There seems an overwhelming assumption that this is a two horse race, it's not by a long shot.  There's a transfer window open right now, there's twenty odd games to play, and injuries, suspensions and form can hit anyone.

While a boro win, gives them a handy advantage would they still be nailed on if Clayton got injured?  Plus losing a play-off final the previous season can haunt you in several ways, not least because you don't have enough rest through the summer which in turn can lead to heavy legs and injuries in the spring.

I expect Derby to kick on in the second half of the season, but I can envisage scenarios where either Boro or we blow it. Infact, Bruce managing the champions, the Ginger Mourinho taking second and big Mick winning the play offs is the stuff of my nightmares.

We will go there today full of confidence, it has got draw written all over this game, but you never know we might even nick it!

I would settle for finishing 2nd no problems what so ever, as long as we go up is all that really matters anyway.

30 minutes ago, toddy said:

I have checked the championship tables from 2007/08 season to present to see who was top January 1st and where that team finished the season.

Apart from 2011/12 season all the teams that were top Jan 1st look as though they got stronger and ended up as champions.

What was the point differences between 1st 2nd and 3rd for these on January 1st

39 minutes ago, toddy said:

Can you do the same, but for second place? :) 

1 hour ago, toddy said:

Jan 1st         Points difference between                                  Champions in May

1st/2nd/3rd Jan1st                  

2007/08- WBA                     47-47-47                                                             WBA

2008/09- Wolves                  58-51-51                                                            Wolves

2009/10 -Newcastle             51-45-43                                                            Newcastle

2010/11 -QPR                      47-43-42                                                            QPR

2011/12- Southampton         47-45-42                                                            Reading[Southampton finished 2nd]

2012/13-Cardiff                     56-49-47                                                            Cardiff

2013/14 -Leicester                51-47-46                                                             Leicester

2014/15-Bournemouth          48-47-45                                                             Bournemouth

45 minutes ago, Daveo said:

What was the point differences between 1st 2nd and 3rd for these on January 1st

Archived