Very sad day today

Ovis aries

Maggie gets the blame from some quarters for the mining industry going down the swanny and all the mines closing down and miners out of work. They never mention the pits labour closed under Wilson which actually were at an alarming rate and many more than under Thatchers tenure. 

I don't have enough " miner" knowledge to know the ins and outs of what the families went through, good or bad. But I do know the spite and bile thrown towards Margeret Thatcher about what happened back then is not even handed or fair. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

It was the police who lost respect during the strike.

Why trying to keep law and order against mob rule?

Arthur Scargill a communist in the cold war trying to bring down a government. What did you expect the police to do. 

Oh Mr miner throw that concrete block onto that lorry. Yeah picket outside your place of work but to ship people off to places where people wanted to make a living is wrong.

7 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Why trying to keep law and order against mob rule?

Arthur Scargill a communist in the cold war trying to bring down a government. What did you expect the police to do. 

Oh Mr miner throw that concrete block onto that lorry. Yeah picket outside your place of work but to ship people off to places where people wanted to make a living is wrong.

You don't know what you are talking about. Go and talk to the old police men from some of these mining towns and you will find out who the trouble makers were and why it got so out of hand.

I did some work in Great Eccleston years ago and got talking to a ex copper who ended up giving another copper from the met a good hiding down a side street after seeing the trouble he and his mates were causing. It is also a well known fact that there were rent a mobs put into the picket lines to cause trouble, there were people caught on film that had never seen a coal face and nobody from the areas had a clue who they were.

20 minutes ago, ossieram said:

You don't know what you are talking about. Go and talk to the old police men from some of these mining towns and you will find out who the trouble makers were and why it got so out of hand.

I did some work in Great Eccleston years ago and got talking to a ex copper who ended up giving another copper from the met a good hiding down a side street after seeing the trouble he and his mates were causing. It is also a well known fact that there were rent a mobs put into the picket lines to cause trouble, there were people caught on film that had never seen a coal face and nobody from the areas had a clue who they were.

Yeah bit who placed them there. Police or Arthur Scargill? My money's on Scargill. 

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

Good family friend ( sadly a Gump all his life..sigh) was a sgt in notts police throughout those times. He is, to be fair, the only copper I have ever spoken to about it and he reckons they were delighted about it all as they got a shed load of overtime. 

22 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Good family friend ( sadly a Gump all his life..sigh) was a sgt in notts police throughout those times. He is, to be fair, the only copper I have ever spoken to about it and he reckons they were delighted about it all as they got a shed load of overtime. 

The copper I spoke to said his missus would give him extra pack up and he and the other local plod would share it with the miners, then the "white shirts" as he called them turned up and they did nothing but antagonise the miners and dish out good hidings. That's when he said he lost it and dragged one away and belted him.

8 hours ago, ossieram said:

The copper I spoke to said his missus would give him extra pack up and he and the other local plod would share it with the miners, then the "white shirts" as he called them turned up and they did nothing but antagonise the miners and dish out good hidings. That's when he said he lost it and dragged one away and belted him.

Careful ossie, some people are only interested in blaming the miners. 

Pathetic. 

These lads who were made redundant yesterday regarded it more than a job, they fought to keep the mine open, took wage drops, gave up rights, increased productivity to save UK coal going out of business and help them pay back their debts.

and what happens once the debt were paid back?

seeyer.

these lads stuck by their pit until the very last day, hoping and praying that there would be a solution to keep them mining the MASSIVE coal reserves left underground.

A lot of the lads took redundancy when offered years ago, and walked away with maybe a years money.

what do these lads get for hanging around to help clear the debts and close down the pit?

12 weeks average wage payment, absolutely disgraceful. For working in those conditions and under that danger?

its been debated in Parliament, do you you think the Tories will feel sorry for them?  Do they feel sorry for the steel workers?

oh, the govenment apparently want to put Rolls Royce into public ownership. Hmmm.

8 minutes ago, Boycie said:

She gets her share.

Not enough imo. Having lived in a mining village I saw the government attack the strongest trade union in order to break it and keep the working man from getting ideas above his station. Look at the state of workers rights now.

The message during the strike wasn't more rights or more money - it was coal not dole. Work in a successful profitable industry not benefits. The end result of destroying the mining industry was the death of large numbers of communities, people spiralling out of control, the rise of the welfare culture, increased crime and drugs.

It was class war. Thatcher knew that and made sure her class won it.

As for the perks of being a miner, I remember all the times dad pulled up outside Eton in the rolls to take us to our holiday home on the south of France. We had to get the gardeners to look after our ponies of course. 

Or was that some other kind of family rather than a miner's family? Can't remember after all these years. 

22 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Not guilty LR. I just think Maggie gets too much of the blame for the closures. 

My problem with Maggie isn't just about the miners. Scargill has to take a share of the blame because he helped her cause with the way he went about things, but they way she destroyed whole communities as this countries massive manufacturing industries went to the wall and then to buy votes she sold off all the utility companies and gave tax cuts, sold off council houses and didn't give the local councils the money back to build new houses. 

Her tory pals made a fortune by buying shares in all the utility companies and then selling them on to the French or whoever else would give them the biggest profit and now we have to rely on these foreigners for our power.

3 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Not enough imo. Having lived in a mining village I saw the government attack the strongest trade union in order to break it and keep the working man from getting ideas above his station. Look at the state of workers rights now.

The message during the strike wasn't more rights or more money - it was coal not dole. Work in a successful profitable industry not benefits. The end result of destroying the mining industry was the death of large numbers of communities, people spiralling out of control, the rise of the welfare culture, increased crime and drugs.

It was class war. Thatcher knew that and made sure her class won it.

As for the perks of being a miner, I remember all the times dad pulled up outside Eton in the rolls to take us to our holiday home on the south of France. We had to get the gardeners to look after our ponies of course. 

Or was that some other kind of family rather than a miner's family? Can't remember after all these years. 

You see, I read you saying " her class" but she was a grocers lass from Grantham was it? She pulled herself up from working middle class to be PM. Nothing like privileged as the Etonians of today's government... 

Im not an apologist for her Ossie, really not. I'm aware that her detractors are quite usually blinded to most things she did. I just prefer an even hand. 

I served under her on HM Forces. She was a cracking leader for us. Wouldn't stand by and see the way troops are dealt with today. Most from my time in forces agree.. Strong leader and although deeply flawed we preferred her  to Callaghan or Major. 

1 hour ago, StockholmRam said:

You see, I read you saying " her class" but she was a grocers lass from Grantham was it? She pulled herself up from working middle class to be PM. Nothing like privileged as the Etonians of today's government... 

Im not an apologist for her Ossie, really not. I'm aware that her detractors are quite usually blinded to most things she did. I just prefer an even hand. 

I served under her on HM Forces. She was a cracking leader for us. Wouldn't stand by and see the way troops are dealt with today. Most from my time in forces agree.. Strong leader and although deeply flawed we preferred her  to Callaghan or Major. 

Very strong leader. If only the working people had someone who was as passionate about defending what was theirs maybe we wouldn't have quite so much disparity between rich and poor. 

Instead we got war criminal Tony Blair.

Archived