The daftest reason which influenced a purchase?

eddie

Our electric kettle has seen better days, so the Memsahib has asked me tonight to buy a new one.

I looked at price - they vary from about a tenner up to nearly 100 squids. You get what you pay for, but how do you justify a ton for a kettle? There might have been about 50 or 60 kettles that were 'reasonably priced', but nothing stood out and screamed 'buy me' on price alone.

I looked at capacity - from about 1.6 litres up to a whopping 1.7 litres.

I looked at colour - you can have them in any colour you want.

Finally , I looked at the name - and knew that was the kettle for me.

Russell Hobbs Buxton - a Forest sicknote sandwiched between two heroes.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you've bought a Russell kettle beware, it uses a ton of energy, and occasionally boils over, but more often than not delivers a disappointly lukewarm brew!

Still better than the Ince incubator I once bought, fantastic results while I had it on trail, but once I made it a permanent household fixture it rarely delivered the chicks.

Still have high hopes for the Butterfield butter dish I've recently bought tho, somewhat inconsistent in its knife through butter USP, and often seems to hide itself amongst my other kitchen utensils, but when it's good it beats my Hendrick handimate all ends up!

48 minutes ago, eddie said:

Our electric kettle has seen better days, so the Memsahib has asked me tonight to buy a new one.

I looked at price - they vary from about a tenner up to nearly 100 squids. You get what you pay for, but how do you justify a ton for a kettle? There might have been about 50 or 60 kettles that were 'reasonably priced', but nothing stood out and screamed 'buy me' on price alone.

I looked at capacity - from about 1.6 litres up to a whopping 1.7 litres.

I looked at colour - you can have them in any colour you want.

You should have waited until tomorrow night and camped outside Debenhams ready for Black Friday. If you'd have taken a day off work and been prepared to stay outside all night in sub zero temperatures (with a forecast of snow), you'd perhaps have saved a tenner.

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

You should have waited until tomorrow night and camped outside Debenhams ready for Black Friday. If you'd have taken a day off work and been prepared to stay outside all night in sub zero temperatures (with a forecast of snow), you'd perhaps have saved a tenner.

I'm in Hull on Friday - otherwise I would have been there.

10 hours ago, bigbadbob said:

I need one too so I went into a shop and said " can someone sell me a kettle" the bloke said "Kenwood". So I said " great where is he?"

Badum tish

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Hey Bob!

GET OUT!

23 minutes ago, cosmic said:

You don't like his bad joke? Talk about pot, kettle, black...

It's all boiling over on here.....

17 hours ago, eddie said:

Like it. Thinking of daft reasons for NOT making a purchase, I've never bought anything whatsoever by Panasonic because they sponsored the Gumps for a while.

8 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Like it. Thinking of daft reasons for NOT making a purchase, I've never bought anything whatsoever by Panasonic because they sponsored the Gumps for a while.

The only one of mine I can think of at the moment is that I haven't bought French wine since they banned British beef during the mad cow thing. Maybe misguidedly patriotic rather than daft, except that I will occasionally buy French cheese but only if there's no direct equivalent from elsewhere.

My sister once chose not to buy a house because she didn't like the wallpaper - which was only on 2 walls in the house anyway. She admitted that to me afterwards & said otherwise it was perfect.

16 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

The only one of mine I can think of at the moment is that I haven't bought French wine since they banned British beef during the mad cow thing. Maybe misguidedly patriotic rather than daft, except that I will occasionally buy French cheese but only if there's no direct equivalent from elsewhere.

My sister once chose not to buy a house because she didn't like the wallpaper - which was only on 2 walls in the house anyway. She admitted that to me afterwards & said otherwise it was perfect.

I once saw the following graffiti on a condom machine..

"You won't buy our cows so we won't buy your letters"

Archived