Timely reminder

loweman2

Of how an East Midlands Derby should be played,

also gives a great reminder of the atmosphere at the BBG that we try so hard to recreate these days at the ipro but it just happened spontaneously back then, even in the dark days of the early 80s, remember this like it was yesterday, forever etched into my memories.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eyh2PS9Ca0E

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I still prefer this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39ZkblFtyik

perhaps its an age thing or perhaps its more than that, perhaps it was just the greatest thing to witness as a thirteen year old kid ? 

it was just about the lowest ebb in Derbys recent history

it was 82/83 season,

we were on the brink of a winding up order, we were bottom of division two and we were playing our high flying neighbours, twice European cup winners and a team of relative stars who were second at that time in division one,

we were a team made up of has been and never would be players but on that day they stood proud with the ram on the shirt and took the fight to the red dogs !!

the atmosphere as you can hear on my original link was more reminiscent of the 70s and the famous European cup nights at the BBG, it was electric !!

For me that will always be the best east midlands Derby.

perhaps the best single moment of an east midlands Derby for me had to be Nige giving Billy a good "Kneeing" not something that you see very often and the best thing was he got away with it !!

lets hope that its three points in the bag tomorrow and we go top of the table !!

come on you rams !!

and if you have got time just watch the whole 26 minutes https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eyh2PS9Ca0E

27 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Only watched the first 5 minutes so far. Reckon these days there would have been at least 3 bookings and the physio would have been on the pitch permanently. Hard to imagine what it would be like now with only 1 sub allowed. 

real men, they even used BRUT then :ph34r:

also the absolute battered old "Chaddo Rams" flag on the B Stand Paddock hoarding just about sums up where the club was that time,

that flag had been through the great times in the 70s but was now on its last legs ! 

if it had of been hoisted up the BBG flagpole on top of the B stand that dark wet January night it would have been flying proudly !! 

I wonder were it is now lol ??

19 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Fair enough, I understand why that would be so satisfying even if I wasn't even born ;) 

I would say in terms of sheer smug satisfaction the best East Mids derby I have seen was the 2-1 win at the City Ground with 10 men. 

you "youngsters" don't know your born !!

For us 40 somethings we had the worst of it growing up, very hard times being a DCFC fan, by the time we were old enough to go to the match the great days were just coming to an end,

The Doc (or the Coc) had arrived and the great dismantling of one of Englands finest football teams was underway we had , there was then a period of eight hard years of relegation, poor football, poor players (with the odd exception such as langan, daly, Wilson, Davison) winding up orders, Maxwell, railings and barricades around the pitch, very few high lights so I suppose that's why the FA cup tie stays in my memory, that same season was also the famous game against Fulham were 70% of the crowd were around the touch line for the last ten minutes of the game, you wouldn't see that these days, there were memories but few and far between.

then in 84/85 along came Arthur Cox and the sun came out !

Since then it has been pretty stable, great times from 1986 to 1990 then relegation, sun came out again with the arrival of the Bald Eagle in 1995 with promotion and a new stadium and seven seasons in the premier league that took us into the this century.

Im sure you know the rest from there young man ! :-)

any how best stop wittering on and get back to work !

the chaddo rams flag belonged to my brother he made it in the mid 70s and was at matchers right upto 2007 play off final at wemberly

the flag had been taken all round the country and most home matchers

sadly it got lost when i moved house but it was on its last legs it had splits in it and was worn out

nether got round to replacing it

i have seen another chaddo rams flag at ipro stadium but the original as been layed to rest

Fantastic post Loweman2, there was something about following Derby in early 80’s which strangely I look back on with great fondness, And then the great Arthur Cox’s and Jim Smith years.

That florist FA Cup game kept me a Derby Fan, the family had moved to Birmingham and going to school with mostly Villa fans I nearly jumped ship. I’d been going to Villa Park with my mates, Villa where European champions and Derby heading for the 3rd division (albeit Derby weren't relegated that season).

And I was just about young enough to get away with changing to another club but I’m so glad I didn’t as only four years later Derby were ahead of Villa and back in the top flight and Villa relegated to Division two, A scenario which may soon be repeated.   

I grew up watching derby in the Cox years. One of my best buddies in my housing estate was a dirty red dog because his dad took him to games and he was a season ticket holder at the shitty ground. I was constantly havign pi$$ taken out of us because throughout these years, they were better than us. Even when we finished 5th in the old division 1, they finished 3rd :( We managed a couple of draws in our encounters of this era, but lost way more times. So the victory in our relegation season, i think about 1991, where ramage scored as a first half substitute, and saunders header wrapped it up. This is my most memorable and satisfying match of all. Im pretty sure our last victory against them prior to this, certainly in the league, was 1979. So thats one hell of a long wait.

Archived