Assessment Centres

Kernow

Does anybody know much about them or have attended any in the past?

On Friday I have to go to one in Westminster for the Civil Service. According to the Guardian out of 20,000 applicants last year 800 were successful so not really looking forward to it that much, seems pretty intense and full on.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck, wouldn't wish an AC on my worst enemy. Its akin to gladiators with a HR department observing the spectacle. Be as fake as possible and BS as much possible and you'll give yourself a good shot.

I remember going to one years ago for an insurance company, which was 2 days of tasks & interviews in a very nice hotel somewhere on the Wirral. All was fine & dandy until half way through the second day, when we had to do a group role play excercise. It was a planning dispute, with various people having to argue why they wanted to build what they wanted to on a piece of land. My "role" was so ridiculous and idea (given to me) so stupid that I sat there & couldn't be arsed to contribute.

Obviously I got poor feedback, which didn't improve when I told them that I wasn't prepared to make myself look stupid, trying to defend the indefensible in a glorified school drama class.

Surprisingly I didn't get the job but smiled to myself a year later when the company was taken over by a German firm and closed down.

I've never got on with being fake. If they don't like me for being me, then it's not the job & employer for me. You can only keep up being fake for so long.

Sorry just seen this but yes have had several years of experience of assessment centres usual format is group exercise, competency based interview, real life scenario/ questioning and exercise to interpret set of data then present back findings together with rationale.  Hope it went well let me know if you need any future guidance. 

On 05/11/2015 13:13:51, Wolfie said:

I remember going to one years ago for an insurance company, which was 2 days of tasks & interviews in a very nice hotel somewhere on the Wirral. All was fine & dandy until half way through the second day, when we had to do a group role play excercise. It was a planning dispute, with various people having to argue why they wanted to build what they wanted to on a piece of land. My "role" was so ridiculous and idea (given to me) so stupid that I sat there & couldn't be arsed to contribute.

Obviously I got poor feedback, which didn't improve when I told them that I wasn't prepared to make myself look stupid, trying to defend the indefensible in a glorified school drama class.

Surprisingly I didn't get the job but smiled to myself a year later when the company was taken over by a German firm and closed down.

I've never got on with being fake. If they don't like me for being me, then it's not the job & employer for me. You can only keep up being fake for so long.

I had one in Brighton years ago, I swear the scenarios kept on getting more ridiculous. The last of which was the death of a wealthy relative who would only leave their money to one family member. The task was to persuade the rest of the group (your relatives) to agree for the money to be given to you.I also remember being given one piece of paper between a group of 6 or 7 and told to make a paper aeroplane while we were observed.

After the first day I mentally checked out with a few other like-minded candidates, we went and got pi**ed on the town while the others swotted for the 9am presentation the following day. Bit of a mess the following day, very pleased to find I didn't get the job in the end!

Archived