Best Tandoori?

Bwash_Ram

Anyone recommend a good old school tandoori place in town?

Looking for a place that does food like you got in the eighties and nineties where everything done in clay tandoor , big pieces of smoky chicken tikka with light garlicky, creamy tomato soup sauce and big "elephants foot" naan breads with all those burnt gnarled bits.

Until recently the Shalimar on London road was great but it closed down and moved up the road now called shalimar gold and food has gone shiite (just tastes like all the other places now)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone recommend a good old school tandoori place in town?

Looking for a place that does food like you got in the eighties and nineties where everything done in clay tandoor , big pieces of smoky chicken tikka with light garlicky, creamy tomato soup sauce and big "elephants foot" naan breads with all those burnt gnarled bits.

Until recently the Shalimar on London road was great but it closed down and moved up the road now called shalimar gold and food has gone shiite (just tastes like all the other places now)

I've been having the same struggle since Dial-A-Meal (Bakewell Street) shut in 2011-ish. I found a place called Uncle Sanayet's Kitchen, but that shut a couple of years ago, when Yaadgar first opened, their tandoori was pretty good, but their standard has slipped massively. I think the best I've had in recent times is Red Chilli on Burton Road in Littleover Village. But yeah, like yourself, I find everything generally tastes the same.

Thanks for the replies guys but im really looking for somewhere in centre of town or east/south east of, so alvaston/allenton/sinfin/shelton lock spondon chadd shardlow maybe chellaston and im looking for a sit in restaurant not takeaway.

I think i might give red chilli a go (unless i get any better suggestions) its just about in range from where i will be on a friday.

Thanks for the replies guys but im really looking for somewhere in centre of town or east/south east of, so alvaston/allenton/sinfin/shelton lock spondon chadd shardlow maybe chellaston and im looking for a sit in restaurant not takeaway.

I think i might give red chilli a go (unless i get any better suggestions) its just about in range from where i will be on a friday.

there's a sit down restaurant in Sinfin, just near the County pub and One Stop, they are pretty decent for takeaways, but its just near where I live so havent had a sit in meal there. Not sure what it's called to be honest!

If you want takeaway - the the Kukri Rotisserie on Duffield Road, between the Co-op All night garage and St Helens House has started doing amazing curries. They don't seem to advertise it in the place, but it's on their Just-Eat online menu and every time I've had it it's been awesome. Their chicken is also amazing, but I guess they aren't selling enough chicken so have had to diversify

It's currently the best kept secret curry in Derby!

Way out of town, but Castle Pizza in Donington do an utterly awesome Vindaloo, and their kebabs are outrageous. We had a 5-meat mix last year and the bugger weighed nearly 2 kilograms. It fed 4 of us - twice.

Way out of town, but Castle Pizza in Donington do an utterly awesome Vindaloo, and their kebabs are outrageous. We had a 5-meat mix last year and the bugger weighed nearly 2 kilograms. It fed 4 of us - twice.

Thanks for the tip. New one opened in Ashbourne ( Utch told me) called Amaya... Very decent..... 

Best by a country mile localism though is Punjabi Saga on Ashbourne to Stoke A52 rd at Cellarhead... It's a straight 10 out of 10 for me... Amazing grub. 

Archived