£40m to fix a clock

Day

Big Ben's bongs could fall silent if repairs costing up to £40m are not carried out, politicians have warned.

The Great Clock's hands, mechanism, pendulum and Elizabeth Tower need refurbishment, and failure to do so would cause "reputational damage", a cross-party report found.

It has been 31 years since its last overhaul.

A parliamentary spokesman said: "No decisions on works, timescales or costs have been agreed." 

In its report, the Commons Finance Committee said problems had also been identified with the 156-year-old clock's tower, including cracks in the masonry. 

Upgrades were also needed to bring the building in line with health and safety regulations, it said.

The report, seen by the Mail on Sunday and Sunday Times, said: "There are major concerns that if this is not carried out...the clock mechanism is at risk of failure with the huge risk of international reputational damage for Parliament.

"In the event of a clock-hand failure, it could take up to a year to repair due to the scaffolding needed."

'A little fit'

Officials said it would cost £4.9m "to prevent the clock from failing", but the report states the "full refurbishment" would cost £29m.

The addition of a visitor centre at the bottom of the tower, and installing a lift to the top could see the cost rise to £40m.

The parliamentary spokesperson said: "Committees of both Houses are currently considering the study."

In August, Big Ben made headlines when the bongs lagged behind by six seconds, causing interruptions to BBC Radio 4, which broadcasts the sound live.

At the time, clocksmith Ian Westworth said the clock "does have a little fit every now and then" due to its age.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-34565724

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take some money out the congestion charge and other charges that they put on people.

tax the film companies more who use the capital as a back drop.

charge the overseas visitors 10p to cross the bridge to view it.

sack a few Tory advisors.

just a few ideas.

I just wrote a ******* brilliant rant about politicians, hit submit reply and lost the lot, server area, what a **** forum.

The jist of it was, if you want to keep the clock cut the politicians expenses, make them use 1 kitchen in 1 house like the rest of us, live outside London? fine get a train, you're supposed to be in it for whats best for this country, your wages are not best. 150k a year for Cameron who gets a free house anyway! ****** to him, 50k a year, plenty that, hell of a lot more than the rest of us plebs whacking out 20% tax.

Makes me laugh all these political party fanboys, running along to tick a box for some tosser to get power and a 2nd kitchen, arguing with each other over complete and utter drivel that they all come out with. 

**** em all and the £40m clock, Give me a month I'll get plans for a new one drawn up from scratch, I'll even whack a public hotspot in there and a better chime for under £1m, and that's lining my pockets as well just like those rich boys are doing down in the capital.

I'm more bothered the fact that they say £7 BILLION is needed to keep Houses of Parliament from ruin.... 

Build somewhere else. I'm sure a few polish builders will oblige... 

Archived