The most sensible system for finding players to play for the team.

Rampage

Murray is the one you mention above most able to replace Martin imo, but he'd never have come this season to sit on our bench.

Jones doesn't strike me as much like Martin, more a pace and power merchant who goes missing for large chunks of games, Nuhiu behave, a great big donkey who's nowhere near Martin's all round game, Kermorgant is an interesting one and the most feasible one from that list.

Some excellent posts here, reveldevil

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This. All clubs have used scouts since the dawn of time. I tended to think that our model was pretty decent. Collaborative effort between senior management but as above its pointless getting players that aren't going to be used. Don't think we necessarily got to that level.

I would think that it's beneficial to have contracts and agents out of the manager's remit but that's a bit of a given. I wonder how much say the manager has on player valuation too. 

I think the model West Brom had set up seemed to be getting a lot of plaudits but not heard lately.

For me I'd like to see the club's recruitment focusing heavily on the academy level too. I want to see more young players from the academy coming through year on year.

'The dawn of time' is a very humorous exaggeration, RodleyRam. One of the first football matches recorded saw the Blue green algae from Rock 1 beating the Blue green algae from Rock 2. The Stromatolites won the Premiership that year by four points. Most of the algae had one year contracts and it was 3.5 billion years before Jimmy Hill.:D Florest were relegated that year.:cool:

In My opinion Martin is suiting us less in the last few games than he has ever done.

i think its down to our style changing a little bit. We dont play tippy tappy slow posession football where the opposition gets 11 behind the ball, and our only chance of getting in behind them is martin holding the ball off and the runners feeding off him.

The minute we had no hughes bryson or hendrick in the midfield, the likes of Butterfield and Johnson were playing into the channels which an overwight martin couldnt run on to. its not his game. Perhaps the changes to our team, were used to playing with forwards who like to make runs. I think bent might have been a good option this season once we changed the team a little bit, particularly the midfield 3.

Secondly I like our new style Shackell, Thorne, hanson, and Bradley Johnson are all fairly happy switching the play and playing the longer pass. the same could not be said for Bryson Hughes and hendrick who are afraid to switch the play.

I also find this much more exciting to watch, I argued with many rams fans who thought our slow posession football was good to watch. I didnt find it good to watch, it was too slow, too easy to defend against and a bit of Directness or pace in our game makes it much harder to defend against.

I'm struggling to agree with much of this. Martin overweight? Noravinit.

'The dawn of time' is a very humorous exaggeration, RodleyRam. One of the first football matches recorded saw the Blue green algae from Rock 1 beating the Blue green algae from Rock 2. The Stromatolites won the Premiership that year by four points. Most of the algae had one year contracts and it was 3.5 billion years before Jimmy Hill.:D Florest were relegated that year.:cool:

Aye but the big lad up top who scored a hattrick that day was poached from Rock 3's youth academy thanks to extensive scouting by the blue green fellas from rock 1. i rest my case.

Aye but the big lad up top who scored a hattrick that day was poached from Rock 3's youth academy thanks to extensive scouting by the blue green fellas from rock 1. i rest my case.

Very funny RodleyRam. A point well made. Rock hard to give a suitable riposte so you have the day, RodleyRam..

I think in an ideal world the manager should have the final say on all transfers ! He should build a team around him with people that he trusts not the club , not the board , not a chief scout employed by the club because he comes with a good reputation or head of football ! 

The manager is the person building the team with a vision of how each player would fit in or potentially fit in ! 

To add to this debate there is a truly excellent article here on how Southampton's recruitment works. Talks about a team of analytical talent, and a long term vision for how the team should play. Well worth a read. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11916075/Liverpools-fabled-transfer-committee-is-not-the-problem-just-ask-Southampton-or-Swansea.html 

Given Mel's stated admiration for the Southampton academy, I wonder  if this is the model we are pursuing? 

If the Manager knows that there is only £10 million to spend and a list of players, whose likely transfer fee are known, I see no reason why he cannot choose his players up to that value, especially if he has suggested some names himself. When the cash has gone, it has gone. Forcing players on the manager is only acceptable if the guy that owns the club wants such and such a player and is paying for him. It his his club and cash, so why not? Anyone who disagrees can tip up the cash themselves. How can a committee tell the guy who is paying, who he can or cannot have? If the owner is financing it, if he wants a certain player, then so be it. When you make your own choices with your own money and it goes pear shaped then you have to accept it and try to find a system that is more likely to work. Three of Bournemouth's top players have long term injuries. They were excellent signings but they are in the treatment room. These things happen, even with the world's best planning. Every club finds its own way and the same system in one club may not work in another.I believe that we have an excellent system in place. Only time will tell.

I agree if the owner of the club,spends his own cash,he decides the system of recruiting players.

And so far he has paid millions to move Derby County into the premier league,and i with all derby fans will enjoy

the ride..And as always form a opinion when the campaign is over in may.

I take this journey to be a two year plan,and his heart is in the right place.

With the committee recruiting system ,their are successes and failures

Good luck Mel Morris

What gets me most is we haven't got any CFs to my knowledge in the U21s as Sammon and Thomas are out on loan. 

If Chris Martin gets injured you can't easily replace him with a loan as last season proved. 

Who comes in if Martin gets injured .

What gets me most is we haven't got any CFs to my knowledge in the U21s as Sammon and Thomas are out on loan. 

If Chris Martin gets injured you can't easily replace him with a loan as last season proved. 

r0XS4YD.jpg

Who comes in if Martin gets injured .

Mason Bennett, Shaquille McDonald, Charles Vernam and Offrande Zanzala are the under 21 strikers.

Do you seriously see any of them stepping up to the first team anytime soon. 

I question all of them as CFs and I've seen them all. 

Admittedly I'd be a bit hesitant to have any of those leading the line for us for a long period of time in a promotion race, but why do you question McDonald? The lad can't stop scoring for our u21s

Admittedly I'd be a bit hesitant to have any of those leading the line for us for a long period of time in a promotion race, but why do you question McDonald? The lad can't stop scoring for our u21s

I'm not having a go here and they may all develop into good footballers. McDonald is fast I'll give you that but nothing like a tough CF.  

Vernam is probably the most likely Martin type  but Bennett and Zanzala are more like the Bent type. 

Sounds like I'm having a go but I'm not as they all need a long time to develop IMO maybe on loan. 

Do you seriously see any of them stepping up to the first team anytime soon. 

I question all of them as CFs and I've seen them all. 

If they arent CFs what are they?

Bennett has had game time in the first team and wouldn't mind him having another go if we were struggling.

If they arent CFs what are they?

Bennett has had game time in the first team and wouldn't mind him having another go if we were struggling.

I have no gripes here but Bennett has been out on loan and been sent back . If you don't even get on the bench with 7 Subs why would you think he can come straight in as he was behind the pecking order last season with Thomas and Calero and Sammon etc 

Archived