Pay up Pompey

vicky-27

Oh the irony...being put out of business by a player they couldn't really afford to have signed in the first place.

I have sympathy with the fans of Portsmouth, they've done nothing wrong but it's "guardians" really should be brought to book for the club's demise.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like they're saying he'll get more in 2 weeks than he would if he took a pay cut for the remaining year of his contract. A whole football club, thousands of fans, gone, just so he can get £72000. He's probably already earned over £5'000'000 (before tax?).

Warra ****.

Portsmouth supporters group SOS Pompey say the financially stricken club are approaching closure and have called on the remaining players at Fratton Park to be "part of history" and save them.

The club have eight senior players left on their books and their salaries are preventing a takeover of Portsmouth.

Unless they leave Fratton Park or take a pay cut the club could be liquidated.

"This is the end game for Pompey, in a couple of weeks it will be over," SOS spokesman Bob Beech told BBC Solent.

In June, Portpin agreed to complete its purchase of the club on condition the wage bill was reduced through player sales and compromise agreements.

But administrator Trevor Birch has so far been unable to achieve sufficient savings by this strategy alone.

Pompey's senior players

Portsmouth cannot afford to keep any of their eight contracted players - Tal Ben Haim, Greg Halford, Erik Huseklepp, Dave Kitson, Liam Lawrence, David Norris, Luke Varney, Kanu

On Friday staff at the club were told they face being made redundant and in an interview on Sunday Birch said Portsmouth were "two to three weeks away from closure".

SOS Pompey presented the club's senior players with a written plea at Fratton Park on Monday in an attempt to make them compromise on their salaries.

Several of those players stopped to listen to them, but others including Tal Ben Haim - who is said to be on £36,000 a week refused to acknowledge them.

"Some players were excellent and stopped to listen to what we said, others as expected weren't interested and drove straight on," added Beech.

"At the end of the day, they have contracts and they expect those contracts to be paid and that is not an unreasonable stance for them to take.

"But the well is dry and if they stay and keep their demands going then there will be no club and they will end up with nothing."

Beech is bitter at Pompey's ongoing crisis but still believes the players could save the club.

"Trevor Birch has to save the club and people could lose their livelihoods as a result," he said.

"That is scandalous because the people who put us in this mess are still clinging to the wreckage and claiming millions of pounds off the club.

"But the players could still be part of history and save this club.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18958234

If I was them I would liquidate the club and make sure Kanu and Ben Haim end up with nothing. They are in league 1, they are going down to league 2 even if they save the club so they might as well start over and put an end to the saga. They will keep treading water for years to come if they stay in business, they might as well start climbing the ladder again as a new club. They should treat this as a lesson to learn from and move forward. No club should employ Ben Haim or others who aren't willing to negotiate on their contracts tbh, the club is trying to save itself and these greedy money grabbing barstweards are killing the club for money they don't need.

I'd blame the people who offered these long contracts, not the players to be honest.

I think while that is true the club is in a situation where if the players do not make a compromise the club will go under. These players are not players who have only earnt a few hundred or 3,000 a week and will need to still be in employment after they are thirty, these are players who have had substantial contracts throughout a lot of their careers. Ben Haim has a history of doing this, he ran down a 10 million pound contract at chelsea while training with the youth team instead of trying to find somewhere else on a little less money while playing football.

Yes the main fault is with the club for giving the contracts, however if some players don't accept a defferal or a wage decrease then the club will go under and for that the players will be responsible as they could have accepted a delayed payment plan in order to save the club. If the club goes under the players won't get a penny anyway.

As much as I think they should leave put your self in Ben haims shoes, lose 30k a week start again somewhere new on alot less wages or keep 30k a week and leave country when they go bust because he'll never see a pompy fan in Israel. Even earning that kind of money he knows he won't earn again it's still a lot to lose isn't it be honest really if you were a player playing abroad say Granada or somat like that on u on 30k a week they could go bust but tough you know u ain't gonna get that dough again and when you contract finished come back to England nobody give a **** even rich people ain't gonna give up 30k a week unless sumat bigs lined up

As much as I think they should leave put your self in Ben haims shoes, lose 30k a week start again somewhere new on alot less wages or keep 30k a week and leave country when they go bust because he'll never see a pompy fan in Israel. Even earning that kind of money he knows he won't earn again it's still a lot to lose isn't it be honest really if you were a player playing abroad say Granada or somat like that on u on 30k a week they could go bust but tough you know u ain't gonna get that dough again and when you contract finished come back to England nobody give a **** even rich people ain't gonna give up 30k a week unless sumat bigs lined up

If I was in his shoes I would look at my 10 million contract at Chelsea which I had gotten and the 30k a week he has received for over 3 years and all the money I earnt before that and think maybe I have enough money to live my life in comfort and if I don't negotiate I will not get a penny in 2 weeks anyway. I am sure he could go somewhere and earn 10k plus a week without a problem. He could give it up and not have a big problem in my view, he could settle that the club will pay him over a number of years if he negates payment now to help the club survive. They do have a buyer lined up but he won't subsidise the levels of wage earned by people like Tal.

According to wikipedia, Ben Haim was only at Chelsea for a year and again it was the owners fault for offering such as a silly contract, like us when we offered Ravanelli a stupid deal.

According to Ben-Haim, he has already lost 2.5 mill from the club.

Portsmouth should have that FA Cup stripped for cheating.

Also that buyer has already owned Portsmouth and put them in admin, so I think Portsmouth fans would prefer a pheonx club.

Varney has gone to Leeds, does this mean Leeds will pay us 300k owed by Pompey , [url=http://www.leedsunited.com/news/20120723/deals-agreed-for-varney-and-austin_2247585_2858137]http://www.leedsunit...2247585_2858137

From that article

The 29-year-old completed a medical at United's training ground on Tuesday before agreeing a contract that sees him become the latest addition to Neil Warnock's squad.

Was that last Tuesday or did he travel in time to tomorrow. Long time from medical to deal being done - finding a way round his prospective wage cut no doubt

Always did surprise me that No money/administration stricken Pompey could afford a player that neither Derby or Blackpool could.

You could probably say the same for Kitson and Lawrence from Stoke, and Halford from Sunderland.

The Pompey director of finance obviously didnt bother doing his sums.

According to wikipedia, Ben Haim was only at Chelsea for a year and again it was the owners fault for offering such as a silly contract, like us when we offered Ravanelli a stupid deal.

According to Ben-Haim, he has already lost 2.5 mill from the club.

Portsmouth should have that FA Cup stripped for cheating.

Also that buyer has already owned Portsmouth and put them in admin, so I think Portsmouth fans would prefer a pheonx club.

"Ben Haim has become a sort of League One Winston Bogarde – the Chelsea defender who fell out of favour soon after arriving from Barcelona in 2000 but insisted on seeing out his four-year, £10 million contract training with the youth team. The difference is that Chelsea, under Roman Abramovich, could afford to keep paying."

This was from the independent which is certainly more reliable than Wikipedia. He probably would have lost about that, however he has been paid substantial sums of money by Bolton, Chelsea and Portsmouth thus he isn't short of money. Plus if he was looking at it from a self interested point of view if he doesn't negotiate he'll get nothing anyway as the club will go into liquidation.

"Ben Haim has become a sort of League One Winston Bogarde – the Chelsea defender who fell out of favour soon after arriving from Barcelona in 2000 but insisted on seeing out his four-year, £10 million contract training with the youth team. The difference is that Chelsea, under Roman Abramovich, could afford to keep paying."

This was from the independent which is certainly more reliable than Wikipedia. He probably would have lost about that, however he has been paid substantial sums of money by Bolton, Chelsea and Portsmouth thus he isn't short of money. Plus if he was looking at it from a self interested point of view if he doesn't negotiate he'll get nothing anyway as the club will go into liquidation.

The article is about Bogarde not Ben Haim

I've been avidly following the Let's Talk Al-Notts Forest thread, and thinking about rivalries. And it occurred to me that the Southampton vs Portsmouth rivalry is one of the biggest there is. Crikey, imagine being a Portsmouth fan in terms of that. A few years ago you were winning the FA Cup, while Southampton were languisihing in the third teir. Happy days. Now you're in the third tier, facing liquidation, while Southampton have just secured back to back promotions to the premier league. Who's laughing now?

And in football terms, where things can often take a generation to turn around, that all happened in the blink of an eye. It's amazing really, and makes you think. Where might Forest and Derby be in a few years?

Judging by current form, I'd put Forest with Portsmouth, and Derby with Southampton. But then I would say that, and who knows what might happen in a year or three.

Ben Haim joined Chelsea on a free transfer in 2007 and left for Man City for £5 million fee in 2008. Bogarde was at Chelsea for ages doing feck all.

Archived