FIFA 16

Thierry Ennui

I've always found playing offline is strange unless you are playing v a mate, it's 2015, no need to play against a computer when there is millions online waiting to play. Drop all offline game modes and focus fully online.

That would possibly be the worst business decision of all time. 

There are plenty of people who still play only offline, and for various reasons. Just because one person enjoys doing something one way doesn't mean you should just ignore the rest. 

To word it another way, it's 2015, AI should be a more compelling opponent by now, instead of playing against inconsistent whiny 12 year olds on dodgy connections who only want to play with the likes of Ronaldo and Messi. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would possibly be the worst business decision of all time. 

There are plenty of people who still play only offline, and for various reasons. Just because one person enjoys doing something one way doesn't mean you should just ignore the rest. 

To word it another way, it's 2015, AI should be a more compelling opponent by now, instead of playing against inconsistent whiny 12 year olds on dodgy connections who only want to play with the likes of Ronaldo and Messi. 

It wouldn't be at all. If you focus more online, create better game modes, better skill matching, ranking system where you are rewarded for using different teams. Weekly challenges to win online using a Swedish team etc. 

It's FIFA online that sells the game the most with Ultimate team. 

It wouldn't be at all. If you focus more online, create better game modes, better skill matching, ranking system where you are rewarded for using different teams. Weekly challenges to win online using a Swedish team etc. 

It's FIFA online that sells the game the most with Ultimate team. 

There still exists a huge career mode following though. Most civilian water use is bathing and watering the garden, but to no longer maintain standards for drinking it for that reason would be ridiculous. 

Water and video games cannot be compared.

A lot of the big games now are online only or 90% online only. It's the next step FIFA and PES need to take.

Obviously you will have some unhappy customers but the majority would be happy if the focus made positive changes. 

Water and video games cannot be compared.

A lot of the big games now are online only or 90% online only. It's the next step FIFA and PES need to take.

Obviously you will have some unhappy customers but the majority would be happy if the focus made positive changes. 

A lot of video games are other rubbish as well. 

The comparison is a fair one. FIFA's bread and butter is being able to sit down and play a football match, whether that be against the AI or a friend next to you. To make the entire focus the online modes would be suicide. 

EA's focus has been on the online components for years now, what more do you think they'd gain by dropping the offline components. They'd lose potentially as much as half their customer base for utterly no reason, for pretty much no gain. 

Ultimately team isn't just an online mode either. A lot of people don't have great internet connections, a lot of people don't want to pay to play online modes ontop of having already bought the game. I don't know, you say "the future is online only", but when are you from, 2001? That ship sailed about 5 years ago, it happened in the middle of last decade and there's been a renaissance of offline play. A lot of companies are trying their damnedest to actually force online components into offline ones to try and limit piracy, but the point from the market has been fairly clear that there is a clear and consistent demand for offline components. 

I disagree it's a fair comparison, it's a poor one at best. I also strongly disagree they would potentially lose half their customer base. They have the potential to gain players back, players that have got bored with the series, board of the same old each season.

A full focus online would allow them more space on the disc, put more grounds into the game, better game modes instead of trying to make the AI give you a decent game which they fail on season after season anyway..

The future is downloading, streaming, buying discs is getting old and offline game play will go that way. As you say piracy is also a big issue. 

Keep kick off so you can play with a mate, just scrap offline Career mode, it's been poor for years anyway. It's time to move forward. 

I disagree it's a fair comparison, it's a poor one at best. I also strongly disagree they would potentially lose half their customer base. They have the potential to gain players back, players that have got bored with the series, board of the same old each season.

A full focus online would allow them more space on the disc, put more grounds into the game, better game modes instead of trying to make the AI give you a decent game which they fail on season after season anyway..

The future is downloading, streaming, buying discs is getting old and offline game play will go that way. As you say piracy is also a big issue. 

Keep kick off so you can play with a mate, just scrap offline Career mode, it's been poor for years anyway. It's time to move forward. 

Space on the disc isn't the problem, and how do you feel that removing things like career mode or the AI would help that? Neither is particularly size hungry, and what would you put in it's place exactly? A lot of people would stop playing Ultimate Team if they couldn't play it offline as well, so there's no way they'd tough that. Career mode is still their second most popular mode to my knowledge as well, so again, they're not likely to drop it. 

They have already focused heavily on the online side of things for years, and it's still as it is. They've certainly not wasted undue effort on the offline components for a while, which is one of the game's major criticisms for years on end. 

Downloading games is again, not something new at all, and still goes hand in hand with games that are pretty much entirely offline focused. 

I don't know, you sound like you essentially want to tear the heart out of a game, something that is used by a very significant chunk of the games fanbase, for absolutely no reason. 

No, I want the franchise to move forward by focusing on the heart of the game, online. 

You disagree fair enough, I strongly believe it's the only way forward and it will happen to keep the game alive.

I guess we'll just disagree on this one. I'd say that the games market has made a pretty clear statement in the last few years though. It's worth noting that a manager mode is something that has had a consistent demand for an extremely long time, and it's not something that would work appropriately as an online only mode. 

I guess we'll see in time. I have no idea what you're saying with "keep the game alive" though, it's not struggling in the slightest. 

I personally never want to play against the AI now, it doesn't tend to learn so you just create a system that scores goals and repeat until you're very, very good at it. The career mode is quite frankly dreadful, the transfer system allows you to buy anyone, the scouting brings up Baines as a suggestion if you want a LB for your Rotherham side etc. Outside of the match engine, FM has it cooked as an experience though you obviously have to boil it down as there are a lot of kids who play Fifa that may be a few years away from (or simply wouldn't like to) play a Fifa game with that much complexity.

The online gameplay is it's main format.now but they still need single player in there, though personally I won't really touch it again unless I really can't get into FM again this year (I've hated their match engine for a few years now which is a real swine as the rest of their game is fantastic)

No, I want the franchise to move forward by focusing on the heart of the game, online. 

You disagree fair enough, I strongly believe it's the only way forward and it will happen to keep the game alive.

Given the token SP modes in CoD games these days, compared with the e-sports side of those same games you could argue that this is pretty much what Activision have done with CoD. CoD is now garbage. 

EA wouldn't dispense with offline. Wouldn't surprise me if they split it out and sold it as a second game though. 

Given the token SP modes in CoD games these days, compared with the e-sports side of those same games you could argue that this is pretty much what Activision have done with CoD. CoD is now garbage. 

EA wouldn't dispense with offline. Wouldn't surprise me if they split it out and sold it as a second game though. 

Ultimate team looks and plays like it was designed to be freemium anyhow. 

That's the thing, how many truly good "only online" games have there been? I can think of some shooters by valve, and that's about it. Yes, there is a chunk of people who will only play the game online, but there's a chunk that won't ever play it online, and play it for features like career mode and such. EA still understands that though, and their love for money will keep them at least delivering token single player features. 

Archived