FIFA 16

Thierry Ennui

Really enjoying this so far. Passing is now much, much riskier in general and you have to be very careful as interceptions are now highly prevalent. Defending has been revamped and defenders cover each other much better. At the other end, the over the top through-ball has received special attention it seems, because it's now not nearly as effective thanks to the improved defender AI.

The Ultimate Team draft seems like a great idea. Different team every time, and a 5 game tournament with a better prize the further you get to work on your own team with. Only issue is the cost of entry - 15,000 coins.

Overall very positive so far and there's a new intensity to having the ball in your own half which takes you out of your comfort zone - very welcome.

Only negative so far is a couple of unwarranted penalties when I had no input. How hard can it be? If the player hasn't caused a penalty, don't give it.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically the same game as last year. FIFA 15.1 would be a better name. It's just been reskinned with slightly different pacing. It's like they've just played with sliders to change how it behaves, and that's it. Really disappointing... they need a big update soon, or people will stop falling for it.

Having got this and PES, the only thing I'll be playing this for is Ultimate Team, because the gameplay is far superior on PES. And for those that have played both, I don't see how you could disagree with that.

Basically the same game as last year. FIFA 15.1 would be a better name. It's just been reskinned with slightly different pacing. It's like they've just played with sliders to change how it behaves, and that's it. Really disappointing... they need a big update soon, or people will stop falling for it.

Are you speaking from the demo or the full release, out of interest? I would have agreed with you from the demo but the full game feels a lot more intense. Famously, the demos and full releases are always significantly different.

As someone who played countless hours last year, I could hardly disagree more that it's 15.1. The defensive revamp has changed the feel of the game massively and it's now quite suffocating to play, in a good way. I'd say it's the most incrementally different FIFA since 10 introduced 360 degree movement.

Also forgot to mention the new 'passing with purpose'. Hold R1 and you whack the pass really hard. Helps beat interceptions but relies on passing ability and the ball control of the receiver. Adds a lot of depth.

Full game, bought it yesterday.

It isn't different, only thing majorly different is how RB has changed the way your player behaves. They've compacted formations from kick off to stop people just sprinting through your whole team. But beyond that, identical.

If you haven't already, just play Pro Evo and judge for yourself without all the nonsense about licences clouding your judgment of how it actually plays. Saying one has better game play than the other isn't fanboyism, it's just how it is this year. Just has FIFA has been better than PES since the early days of the 360.

Fifa beats it on licences, presentation and even game modes like Ultimate Team, but for how it plays, not even close.

Full game, bought it yesterday.

It isn't different, only thing majorly different is how RB has changed the way your player behaves. They've compacted formations from kick off to stop people just sprinting through your whole team. But beyond that, identical.

If you haven't already, just play Pro Evo and judge for yourself without all the nonsense about licences clouding your judgment of how it actually plays. Saying one has better game play than the other isn't fanboyism, it's just how it is this year. Just has FIFA has been better than PES since the early days of the 360.

Fifa beats it on licences, presentation and even game modes like Ultimate Team, but for how it plays, not even close.

PES is easily the better game this year, by my word are they utterly useless when it comes to actually doing simple things right. The game won't have up to date rosters for Master League until October 29th. Master League is brilliant this year though, and speaking of presentation, it blows FIFA's career mode out of the water on that front, and easily so. The players overall look much better as well. The commentary is complete garbage though, not a big issue though. 

Quite like FIFA 16 though. They've seemingly listened to a lot of complaints, and fixed them up a bit, but I don't know... something just feels a bit off in the game. The players movements look a bit off, the players who have decent faces look weird and it general just seems all a bit dated strangely. The gimmicks they've added like celebrating after a penalty shootout are a bit broken as well, there's nothing quite as funny as watches players drop and roll around repeatedly after the shootout. I get what they were going for, but it's... I don't know. 

An interesting comparison between the two though are the keepers. In FIFA, they in a lot of cases make saves they have no right to do, even not particularly good keepers, and it detracts form what should be good chances. On the other hand PES is possibly a bit too far to the otherside, though they're seemingly a bit closer to balanced, and do their job well enough (except online, they've said there's a bug with that though). 

Oh well, in the end I'd say they're both quite good this year, but I do prefer this year's PES. Too bad they've released a game with no updates to the rosters from last season, and are quite happy to wait another 5 weeks with little to no explanation as to why. 

I also do not feel that it is at all identical, I far prefer defending in Fifa and last year was terrible for it, this year's defensive movement is much improved and Pace has been downscaled to a lesser importance which the series really needed. Last year became 5 man midfielders of all pacey wingers and it still worked in that format. Much better this year, though I only play with a Turkish League UT side and the Turkish league has been butchered in regard to quick players. Emenike and Moussa Sow are big misses.

Archived