First home game advice required v Burnley

ColonelBlimp

Chaps, and chapesses, due to many things over the years, i've never been in a position to watch a home game. Mainly lack of money due to various things i committed to and partly because of travel costs, I live in West Sussex.

I've been to games at the Goldstone and St Mary's (always had to sit in the home end) but thanks to my lovely family clubbing together, I'm coming up to watch the game against Burnley on Monday 21st with my eldest son, who's a Villa fan.

I have some questions.

The tickets I have are for the North Stand, is it OK there? I do like to erm, *get involved* as it were!

Where is a good place to park? to eat? 

I'm not sure if  should come up a bit early ( I have the day off work) and have a wander around the town, visit the club shop maybe even pay some respects to the old BBG which is just empty space now isn't it?

Is there somewhere to park that isn't a rip-off and also is within walking distance of everything?

What's it like getting into the area during rush hour? Would you recommend a particular route? ( Avoid the M1/A52 perhaps?)

I'm really Stranger in a Strange Land here so and little nuggets would be very helpful.

Ta all

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chaps, and chapesses, due to many things over the years, i've never been in a position to watch a home game. Mainly lack of money due to various things i committed to and partly because of travel costs, I live in West Sussex.

I've been to games at the Goldstone and St Mary's (always had to sit in the home end) but thanks to my lovely family clubbing together, I'm coming up to watch the game against Burnley on Monday 21st with my eldest son, who's a Villa fan.

I have some questions.

The tickets I have are for the North Stand, is it OK there? I do like to erm, *get involved* as it were!

*It's the family end so it will be mostly quiet, though they can get involved with the odd bit clapping from the south stand opposite end. Depends on what you mean by 'getting involved'!

Lots of places to park within a short walk. Harvester (£5) Chiquitos (free) Merlin (free) are all good places to park and eat, but you have to be early as they get very busy and the delay for food can be horrendous. Next to the ground is Frankie and Benny and Subway, you can park there (outside the soccerdome) but you have to get there early and wait for a while after the game before they open the car park.

I'm not sure if  should come up a bit early ( I have the day off work) and have a wander around the town, visit the club shop maybe even pay some respects to the old BBG which is just empty space now isn't it?

*BBG site is housing but there is a type of memorial there. Haven't been down that way for years but I'd say it's worth a swing round just to stop and think for a bit. Town's a bit dull but if you're here very early then it's better than nowt.

Is there somewhere to park that isn't a rip-off and also is within walking distance of everything?

See above - there's also other car parks for about £5 all over Pride Park. It's all reasonably priced.

What's it like getting into the area during rush hour? Would you recommend a particular route? ( Avoid the M1/A52 perhaps?)

*Can be horrendous, can be ok. If you're coming up the M1 and it's busy I'd get off at jn24 and take the A50 then A6 into Derby, which takes you past Pride Park. Otherwise jn 25 and the A52, which gets horrible around the Pentagon but you come off at Pride Park before that so should be fine.

I'm really Stranger in a Strange Land here so and little nuggets would be very helpful.

Ta all

*Hope you have a good trip!

When you say "Get involved" can you elaborate further. There's a few die old DLF still go but i don't think they sit in the north stand. Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can point you in that direction so you can maybe ambush some away fans before the game after getting tanked up.

Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick. 

Whereabouts in West Sussex are you Colonel - I could give you a route, but I need to know your starting point. Seems to me you must be Chichester way if you are taking M27/A34 route? 

Worthing. 

I can go either way, A24/M25/ M1 or A27/A34. I like to avoid M25 usually but I guess early afternoon is probably clear enough.

I have some questions.

Ta all

What kind of stuff do you like to eat and drink and to what budget? Are you driving home again that night?

Real Ale or Lager, Curry, Pub Food or Italian?

When you say "Get involved" can you elaborate further. There's a few die old DLF still go but i don't think they sit in the north stand. Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can point you in that direction so you can maybe ambush some away fans before the game after getting tanked up.

Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick. 

my days of chasing away fans to the train station from The Dell are long gone, used to watch Southampton a lot when I lived there in the early 80's.

Strictly singing and player *encouragement* now :)

Besides, my son will be with me so best behaviour!

Worthing. 

I can go either way, A24/M25/ M1 or A27/A34. I like to avoid M25 usually but I guess early afternoon is probably clear enough.

For what worth I would definitely go M25/M1 - The M25 should be ok up to c15.00. Not sure of the junction number off the M1 but there is dual carriageway taking you virtually to the stadium. Should be a much easier trip for you on a Monday than a Saturday - good old Sky helping out fans across the length and breadth of the south coast.

For what worth I would definitely go M25/M1 - The M25 should be ok up to c15.00. Not sure of the junction number off the M1 but there is dual carriageway taking you virtually to the stadium. Should be a much easier trip for you on a Monday than a Saturday - good old Sky helping out fans across the length and breadth of the south coast.

That drive would be far easier on a Saturday than it would be for a Monday night game. 

What kind of stuff do you like to eat and drink and to what budget? Are you driving home again that night?

Real Ale or Lager, Curry, Pub Food or Italian?

Well, still on a reasonably tight budget so probably burger and chips just to fill a hole and coffee to stay awake on the way home.

Ideally I'd stay overnight and go to a nice Indian after the game and a cheeky bottle of Sauvignon, maybe next time!

J25, then first left onto Brian Clough Way. Pride Park/iPro is clearly signposted

The best pubs (reasonably) near to the ground are the Brunswick and Alex (IMO) . They are near the station.

Cheap food wise, burger/kebabs shops near the station too.

If you have some time on your hands, the cathedral green area near the Silk Mill Museum then along the river to Council House is probably the nicest area.

Thanks all, am going home after the game then back up to Wolverhampton the next day for my eldest's graduation.

I usually go M27/A34/M40/M6 to go there so I'm wondering if that would be a better route than M25/M1 to get to Derby?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just stay in a Travelodge?!

Thanks all, am going home after the game then back up to Wolverhampton the next day for my eldest's graduation.

I usually go M27/A34/M40/M6 to go there so I'm wondering if that would be a better route than M25/M1 to get to Derby?

Can't you stay in the hotel for a night then go to Wolverhampton in the morning save your time going back home then travel to Wolverhampton. 

Can't you stay in the hotel for a night then go to Wolverhampton in the morning save your time going back home then travel to Wolverhampton. 

Logically yes, logistically no. 

Only me and son for the footie, for Wolvertrumpton the wife and her mum and dad are coming as well, in a different bigger car.

Logically yes, logistically no. 

Only me and son for the footie, for Wolvertrumpton the wife and her mum and dad are coming as well, in a different bigger car.

Ah I see. 

Personally I think parking a bit further away is better for getting away after the game... Me and the old man will be joining you on the M1 after the game to get back to work on Tuesday...

We always park in Chaddesden and walk over the footbridge... Couple of semi decent boozers over there for some grub and easy to find the bridge by following the people in Football shirts!

Archived