Beating a man Versus passing have we got the balance right

jono

I am beginning to wonder as we seem to struggle against teams playing  2 banks of 4 then perhaps the missing ingredient is a player good enough to take on and beat his man more often than we do at the moment. Will Hughes does this but how many other players do we have that skin an opponent on a regular basis ?

I am a lover of passing football but every team needs attacking players who relish 1 V 1 I am starting to think this is a missing element in our play. Ibe ( for all his poor end product ) did make things happen. Wardy on a good day could do it. And when Keogh goes on a mad gallop it unsettles both us and the opposition. so just maybe we should be seeking this type of player with the same enthusiasm that we discuss formations and systems

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do people think a dribbler is the answer against two banks of 4? We have Russell, Ince and Weimann who have all showed they can beat a man... Plus Christie can too...

The problem being that with the opposition defensive formations we have to play against they end up having to beat 2/3 players to get through on goal... which is a rare feat...

Also... Hughes' main quality? His ability to pick a pass which beats players... THAT is what we need more of...

Why do people think a dribbler is the answer against two banks of 4? We have Russell, Ince and Weimann who have all showed they can beat a man... Plus Christie can too...

The problem being that with the opposition defensive formations we have to play against they end up having to beat 2/3 players to get through on goal... which is a rare feat...

Also... Hughes' main quality? His ability to pick a pass which beats players... THAT is what we need more of...

I take your point and in general circumstances picking a pass is the way, but that also means you need players moving off the ball intelligently. A player that beats his man takes out one defender and probably his supporting runner too because they are then on the back foot. . It isn't the solution ALL the time but it is a set of keys that opens stubborn well organised defences. .. when you are beaten  by a dribbler/mazy winger you are not just a bit"out of position" .. your gone. Yes Hughsey has a brilliant eye for a pass but many of his game changing moments are when he has wriggled and danced past a defender using his quick feet with the ball glued to them.  .. go past your man and one bank of 4 is dead in the water

All those defenders flying into futile tackles, what were the managers and coaches doing? He would have nowhere near the success if he played like that in this era. Bloody good player though.

class is permanent and you can only play against what is in front of you. The ball was 50% heavier, the pitches were often dire. The flying tackles were lethal and in many instances designed to stop you in your tracks. The fact that Best had the pace, courage, skill and strength to ride that lot and pick a pass tells me he would not just have thrived in this era but been the same genius. ( always assuming he could have held a job down with all the sport science, diets, training schedules, club fines and man management ! ooops maybe not then )

IMO players such as Russell, Ince, Dawkins and Weimann can all beat players but sometimes they perhaps dont have the confidence maybe not wanting to lose the ball is a big reason for this, but I think Clement needs to tell players to try running with the ball rather than passing it back because it will get us more chances to get the ball to martin and score goals. Our players have the ability they just need to use it.

I take your point and in general circumstances picking a pass is the way, but that also means you need players moving off the ball intelligently. 

THIS btw seems to be our biggest problem at the moment... Martin, Russell and Ince are all "come to get the ball" players... we need more players running AWAY from the ball and at the moment they're all running towards it!

I thought Weimann looked great against Brum as he was actually running away from the guy with the ball into space...

It isn't the solution ALL the time but it is a set of keys that opens stubborn well organised defences. .. when you are beaten  by a dribbler/mazy winger you are not just a bit"out of position" .. your gone. 

I personally think we already have this in abundance in the current side so not overly worried in that regard... When the attack and defence of the opposition is split by more than about 5 yards we have enough quality on the wings to do this... 

The problem we have is that teams seem to play 9 players in their own 3rd when defending against us...

Archived