The Finance Thread

SillyBilly

50 minutes ago, Muskination said:

So, I moved in to blue chip, and who'd have guessed it (or seen it coming) subliminal issues with subsidiaries which manifested in to big losses.

So that's just about me in a five/ten year nutshell. Now I'm out and in houses (except for a bit of UNX now MNS).

However it goes, certainly better than doing nothing at all. Now that is a risky strategy.

hope all goes well for you mate :thumbsup:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so we have a 5% unemployment rate in the UK...

The figures also show that the number of households where no one works has fallen to 3.1 million, the lowest number recorded in the last 20 years.

The government said welfare reforms had given people an incentive to work.

However, single-parent groups said many working individuals were still in poverty and still struggling to support their families.

A record number of households - 17.6 million - now have at least one adult with a job, while the number of children living in workless households is also at a record low.

so 3.1 million households with nobody working + 17.6 million with at least one adult working, how do we have a 5% unemployment rate?

lilicograph-1024x705.jpg

Big spike in the money supply (we knew it was coming but always nice to get a graph of it), concerted push to sustain the asset bubble, Carney is putting a shift in now. Taking the last quarter as a reference then the UK's broad money supply is increasing at an annualised rate of just shy of 15%! Previous all time time high in a quarter was just before TSHTF in 06 at 12.8. So interest rates have never been lower in 300 years and we're expanding the currency supply at a faster pace than we have EVER done before, what is going on behind the scenes I wonder? :huh:

10 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

lilicograph-1024x705.jpg

Big spike in the money supply (we knew it was coming but always nice to get a graph of it), concerted push to sustain the asset bubble, Carney is putting a shift in now. Taking the last quarter as a reference then the UK's broad money supply is increasing at an annualised rate of just shy of 15%! Previous all time time high in a quarter was just before TSHTF in 06 at 12.8. So interest rates have never been lower in 300 years and we're expanding the currency supply at a faster pace than we have EVER done before, what is going on behind the scenes I wonder? :huh:

Someone found the Monopoly game in the cupboard?

• 3 weeks later...

Political games going off between U.S.A and Germany (EU) at the moment:

1) USA goes after VW

2) EU goes after Apple

3) USA goes after Deutsche Bank

4) TBC

DB are really not in the position to be taking any kind of hit, they are on the ropes as it is. Be interesting how that one shapes up.

33 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Political games going off between U.S.A and Germany (EU) at the moment:

1) USA goes after VW

2) EU goes after Apple

3) USA goes after Deutsche Bank

4) TBC

DB are really not in the position to be taking any kind of hit, they are on the ropes as it is. Be interesting how that one shapes up.

Haven't DB turned round and said they are not paying? Also, wouldn't this bit of a shooting themselves in the foot type moment because if DB goes down, the banking sector will tumble. However, you have a better idea than me in this situation so I'm probably wrong.

12 minutes ago, GeneralRam said:

Haven't DB turned round and said they are not paying? Also, wouldn't this bit of a shooting themselves in the foot type moment because if DB goes down, the banking sector will tumble. However, you have a better idea than me in this situation so I'm probably wrong.

I think its poker playing by DB, they have come out and rejected outright but will settle at a lower amount (my guess), they have interests to protect in the U.S. I think you're right on DB being a strange target (that was my initial reaction), there would be huge contagion in the American banking system if DB went down (particularly Wells Fargo, Citigroup, Bank of America & JP Morgan). Either DB is more robust than many of us believe it to be or the Americans are shooting themselves in the foot. My personal view is DB is too big to fail so the German taxpayer would ignore EU rules and step in if it came to that, like RBS. Rather like the Italians are shaping up to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that Merkel came out over the weekend (or this morning?) to say no bail-out for DB. Still think that would change when the ramifications are known but it makes things more jittery for now. Share price fell to a level not seen since the mid 80's today. It is in big trouble for sure.

17 hours ago, ketteringram said:

I've absolutely no idea what happens next, if DB fails. 

Currently down another 3% today. It has to be too big to fail, the European banking industry would be hit harder than 08 otherwise and potentially even the Euro would go down.

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 17:22, jono said:

Cash strapped governments are gunning for large corporations. I would love to know what went on behind the scenes with BP .. Its dividends paid 20% of the private pension income of all British pension funds until the oil spill. 

yeah apart from ours, VW pay $14.7bn to the USA but nothing to us for the same scandal, BP are fined $20bn by the USA for oil leaks by US sub contractors and I wont even mention the tax avoiding UK based US companies skimming the treasury.

I wonder what would happen if we said that there would be no corporate tax at all but enforce a massively higher minimum wage and make all taxation revenue come from personal income. ? It would be an interesting way of looking at things. Could you police it ? Could you stop hidden Payments and perks. ? How could legislate for residence and therefore personal tax liability ? Interesting intellectual excercise .. Over to Silly Billy who is pretty good at these things 

49 minutes ago, jono said:

I wonder what would happen if we said that there would be no corporate tax at all but enforce a massively higher minimum wage and make all taxation revenue come from personal income. ? It would be an interesting way of looking at things. Could you police it ? Could you stop hidden Payments and perks. ? How could legislate for residence and therefore personal tax liability ? Interesting intellectual excercise .. Over to Silly Billy who is pretty good at these things 

It's an interesting game to think of ways to disincentivise corporations from tax avoidance

How about - any PLC that wants to implement tax policies other than the vanilla way of doing things has to pay a premium for doing so? I mean - they essentially do this anyway, with the money going to creative accountants and tax advisors. So they are clearly quite happy to spend a bit of cash to save a bit of cash. We could do this easily, but yet again we come back to the fact of government being in the pocket of big business

Archived