Great point away from home

It's a good point in the context of the game. We were very lucky to escape with a point because they hit the bar 3 times. On another day with a different ref that Spearing dive could have been given as a penalty. If we want to get promoted automatically we need to beat teams like Bolton because they are going to be relegation fodder. I thought that Clement's set up was very negative and very Nigel Clough like. We set up to stop the opposition rather than imposing our own game which nearly proved to be our downfall in this particular game. I was also shocked that Clement didn't change to the 4-2-3-1 formation when Hughes went off. I really hope that Clement isn't stubborn and continuously plays the diamond. The diamond only really works when in the lead and wanting to control the game, it shouldn't be used when trying to score because it can result in the midfield becoming crowded.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People are disappointed because every Derby supporter thought we would win and win easy.

Paul Clement didn't really have anything to go by in judging the opposition. He will have both Portsmouth and Charlton down to a tee. 

Derby fans expectations are way too high, just because we spend money doesn't mean we have a right to be top of the league.

People are disappointed because every Derby supporter thought we would win and win easy.

Paul Clement didn't really have anything to go by in judging the opposition. He will have both Portsmouth and Charlton down to a tee. 

Derby fans expectations are way too high, just because we spend money doesn't mean we have a right to be top of the league.

why will he have Portsmouth and Charlton "down to a tee"????

before the game kicked off I would have been disappointed with a point but at the end of the game it was a point we didn't deserve so we take it and move on. 

My expectation is that we should at least try to play open and expansive attacking football. I have witnessed pragmatic success under Billy Davies and optimistic failure under McClaren. I got an awful lot more enjoyment from the latter.

That used to work when you got 2 points for a win and one for a draw.

Not sure it still does when a draw and a win lose 33.333333333% rather than 25& of available points.

Maybe Albert cold look into this as our resident statistician

Just out of interest it's 92 points on that ratio of Draw all away and Win all home matches. 

Obviously not gonna happen, just sayin ;)

Is expecting to play well against a bottom six Bolton side away from home really expecting too much?

It's not the result that bothers me, it's the way we were seemingly content with playing for a point and the apparent lack of urgency and chances created which is the problem.

Time will tell if this is a 'great point' or not but judging by last season, promotion duo Watford and Bournemouth weren't happy with a point at Bolton as both attacked and both netted last-minute winners!

Is expecting to play well against a bottom six Bolton side away from home really expecting too much?

It's not the result that bothers me, it's the way we were seemingly content with playing for a point and the apparent lack of urgency and chances created which is the problem.

Time will tell if this is a 'great point' or not but judging by last season, promotion duo Watford and Bournemouth weren't happy with a point at Bolton as both attacked and both netted last-minute winners!

Bottom six? We are in a new season and how the bloody hell do you know where they will finish.

Absolute tripe, how anybody can judge any team/player/manager after 1 game is ridiculous. 

Bolton didn't lie down just like we all wanted them to. They was at home on the first game of the season with fresh minds and legs and battled just like they should have done.

This is one game in and the usual moaners are at it again, give me strength.

It is possible to judge whats presented. Obviously any such opinion isn't a once and more all fixed opinion, its just a first impression.

we were hoping for a performance which would create a bit of excitement. It wasn't a disaster but it wasn't quite what we were hoping for.

However the first impression is that this is a system which has been forced onto a team which isn't really suited to it. Our full backs don't have young legs. They are not the strength of the team - eager to bomb up and down - our best source of attacking threat. Why try to turn will hughes into a midfield work horse expected to chase shadows? We've got good wide players who are able to go wide, and find space. Is Ince really more effective when played central? 

The system didn't really work. Now we can learn that lesson quickly and move on, or we can become entrenched and stubborn. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

Bottom six? We are in a new season and how the bloody hell do you know where they will finish.

Absolute tripe, how anybody can judge any team/player/manager after 1 game is ridiculous. 

Bolton didn't lie down just like we all wanted them to. They was at home on the first game of the season with fresh minds and legs and battled just like they should have done.

This is one game in and the usual moaners are at it again, give me strength.

I know where they'll finish because I know Championship football fairly well, I know Bolton were utterly dire last season and I know they've not strengthened their squad in the summer.

They'll finish bottom six, and I'm happy to put a wager on that.

I'm not moaning, I'm saying we created very little against a team who is by all standards fairly rubbish at this level. I'm sorry, but I don't buy that it's a great point. 

If we had drawn but played well and created chances I wouldn't be bothered. But we didn't. 

I know where they'll finish because I know Championship football fairly well, I know Bolton were utterly dire last season and I know they've not strengthened their squad in the summer.

They'll finish bottom six, and I'm happy to put a wager on that.

I'm not moaning, I'm saying we created very little against a team who is by all standards fairly rubbish at this level. I'm sorry, but I don't buy that it's a great point. 

If we had drawn but played well and created chances I wouldn't be bothered. But we didn't. 

It's one game and you are basing your opinion on this.

I'm guessing you're pleased you don't follow Arsenal this evening or would you predict they are going to finish bottom six too. 

Can you predict the whole table then from top to bottom and how it will finish come May? I will give you a 4 place leeway for every team.

It's one game and you are basing your opinion on this.

I'm guessing you're pleased you don't follow Arsenal this evening or would you predict they are going to finish bottom six too. 

Can you predict the whole table then from top to bottom and how it will finish come May? I will give you a 4 place leeway for every team.

No, I predict Arsenal will finish top four. I'm not basing it one match, I'm basing it on a number of factors.

Teams like Charlton, MK Dons and Brighton are unpredictable so I don't have a clue where they will end up. Yet, I know - or would be willing to wager - that Middlesbrough will finish in the top six and Bolton in the bottom six.

It's not rocket science. 

Time will tell all...

(did that sound all wise n stuff? Yeh? No? Maybe?... Ah boogray it...)

I said I'd take a 'not lose' on the opening game... Didn't see it but suspect Bolton are a fairly 'functional' side which we've always struggled a bit against... and with this "new way of playing" everyone keeps on about it's gonna take time for us to get started...

Also #PrayForWill

Archived