The Ashes

Ovis aries

When I say fast I mean fast, not the journeymen and kids trundling in at 80 mph on green pitches in the county game. Occasionally they'll encounter someone fast but not particularly accurate. Our domestic game is a complete joke and that's what I consider to be the main problem, which is why I mention that it's unlikely to be solved properly in the short term. It's not going to be an easy fix that's for sure.

For now the test venues should stop preparing pitches they think will last 5 days, and will therefore provide most revenue, and produce something resembling what that the players will actually have seen regularly at county level.

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an Australian and former cricketer, I reckon even at 50 years of age I could still roll the old arm over and muster 70mph, enough to send Gary Ballance back into the keeper's lap when he takes guard. I hope, for Australia's sake, that he stays at No 3. I don't care what he has achieved against the pop gun attacks of Sri Lanka and India or the gun barrel straight Windies bowlers. He is lost against genuine pace that does a bit and doesn't have the technique to counter-attack this type of bowling, as all good numbers 3s should have. So what if it is swinging and seaming at 90mph? So what if the ball is beating the bat once an over? You can't go into a shell because it's only a matter of time before you get out. The good numbers 3s attack the bowlers, unsettle them and disrupt their line.

As an Australian and former cricketer, I reckon even at 50 years of age I could still roll the old arm over and muster 70mph, enough to send Gary Ballance back into the keeper's lap when he takes guard. I hope, for Australia's sake, that he stays at No 3. I don't care what he has achieved against the pop gun attacks of Sri Lanka and India or the gun barrel straight Windies bowlers. He is lost against genuine pace that does a bit and doesn't have the technique to counter-attack this type of bowling, as all good numbers 3s should have. So what if it is swinging and seaming at 90mph? So what if the ball is beating the bat once an over? You can't go into a shell because it's only a matter of time before you get out. The good numbers 3s attack the bowlers, unsettle them and disrupt their line.

If he (Balance) wants to have an international career he must do what other batsman have done and alter his approach now he has been found wanting

Owen Morgan for instance went back to the drawing board and stopped the rot , and maybe it is time for his reintroduction into the five day game, another that could come in if Joe Root is promoted up the order .

Whilst I'm totally in agreement regarding Ballance's problems against real pace (he'll bat forever against 70-80mph trundle) I don't agree that a good number 3 needs to be able to counter attack. Sure it's a nice trait but not essential.

Take Kallis and Trott, one great and one very good number 3 both played in successful sides, neither are what you'd call dashers. What they both did have was excellent judgment and the ability to wear down an attack until they started bowling to their strengths. Ballance is in the same mould but would really do well to stop missing straight ones...

Whilst I'm totally in agreement regarding Ballance's problems against real pace (he'll bat forever against 70-80mph trundle) I don't agree that a good number 3 needs to be able to counter attack. Sure it's a nice trait but not essential.

Take Kallis and Trott, one great and one very good number 3 both played in successful sides, neither are what you'd call dashers. What they both did have was excellent judgment and the ability to wear down an attack until they started bowling to their strengths. Ballance is in the same mould but would really do well to stop missing straight ones...

Obviously the 70mph comment was tongue in cheek while still making a point about how deep he bats in the crease. I'm not saying that a number 3 has to be a dasher, so "attacking the bowlers" was a poor choice of words, but what I meant  was that they still have to be able to score and turn over the strike in difficult conditions. Ballance doesn't do that. He stands on top of middle stump and offers a straight bat till he misses a straight one. The great number 3s will attack.

If he (Balance) wants to have an international career he must do what other batsman have done and alter his approach now he has been found wanting

Owen Morgan for instance went back to the drawing board and stopped the rot , and maybe it is time for his reintroduction into the five day game, another that could come in if Joe Root is promoted up the order .

I think Root will make a great number 3 someday. That kid has a ton of heart. He's not too dissimilar to Ricky Ponting in that he's very vulnerable early but then normally goes on with it once he's set.

Obviously the 70mph comment was tongue in cheek while still making a point about how deep he bats in the crease. I'm not saying that a number 3 has to be a dasher, so "attacking the bowlers" was a poor choice of words, but what I meant  was that they still have to be able to score and turn over the strike in difficult conditions. Ballance doesn't do that. He stands on top of middle stump and offers a straight bat till he misses a straight one. The great number 3s will attack.

Yea I know the 70mph comment wasn't altogether serious, I do think you're a touch harsh on Ballance though. Against anything apart from real pace he's fine and rotates the strike and scores relatively freely. He has battled to a couple of tough hundreds already in his short test career, whatever you may think of the Indian and Sri Lankan attacks. 

Unfortunately he's been made to look like a bit of a mug by good, quick bowling this summer. Hopefully being dropped, as it's just been announced he has been for Bairstow, will make him redouble his efforts to correct his technique. By all accounts he is very mentally tough and a battler so he could come back stronger down the line.

Just Bairstow  for Balance , will that be enough to steady the ship and tip the scales back in England's favour.

Must be Bell and Lyth's last chance.

Pretty harsh to call it their last chance against arguably the best bowling attack in the world right now. That said, on Steyn alone I think most would give that accolade to South Africa. He'll go down as a legend on the game, arguably the best strike bowler in history. 

In any case, I think England should persist with Lyth. Whether they still see Bell as being a part of the long term plan is a completely different matter though. Must be harsh on Ballance though, he went from a star to a nobody in record time. 

Pretty harsh to call it their last chance against arguably the best bowling attack in the world right now. That said, on Steyn alone I think most would give that accolade to South Africa. He'll go down as a legend on the game, arguably the best strike bowler in history. 

In any case, I think England should persist with Lyth. Whether they still see Bell as being a part of the long term plan is a completely different matter though. Must be harsh on Ballance though, he went from a star to a nobody in record time. 

Bit of a statement to make about Steyn , seen many really good fast bowlers ? , I have seen them all from 1950 onwards and I would say you are talking rubbish .

Bit of a statement to make about Steyn , seen many really good fast bowlers ? , I have seen them all from 1950 onwards and I would say you are talking rubbish .

I've seen as many good bowlers as my lifetime will allow. In an era dominated by the bat, he has managed to get the best strike rate of any bowler with 100 wickets since Sydney Barnes. If he played for England or Australia there'd already be 40' high pure gold statues of him. 

Dale Steyn: 396 wickets @ 22.55 with a strike rate of 41.8. 

That is a ridiculously good record, and the only bowler since the first world war even close to him is Waqar Younis in that regard. Even including pre-WWI bowlers, only Barnes and Lohmann better it, and Barnes only just betters it. It's not all about the numbers, but between watching him, the batsmen dominated nature of the era and the numbers, he is something special, and people will appreciate that more once he's retired. At least people recognise that he is easily the best bowler on the planet right now. 

He is not as good as Hadlee,  yet IMHO and Richard was not even the best I have seen, I just can not pick one , different times , different opposition , but yes   Steyn is the best at the moment , not the fastest , but the best strike bowler.

He is not as good as Hadlee,  yet IMHO and Richard was not even the best I have seen, I just can not pick one , different times , different opposition , but yes   Steyn is the best at the moment , not the fastest , but the best strike bowler.

I think you're confusing me saying Steyn is the best strike bowler for saying Steyn is the best pace bowler in general. There have been better fast bowlers than Steyn. Marshall, Hadlee and Ambrose spring to mind, not to mention players like McGrath, Akram and such. He is however quite the special player in terms of his strike rate, if you need a wicket fast, he is the best seen in a long time, and quite special in that regard. 

Basically, much in the same way if I wanted mind numbing consistency to wear an opposition down, I'd pick McGrath, if I just wanted to get someone out, I'd throw the ball to Steyn. 

I think you're confusing me saying Steyn is the best strike bowler for saying Steyn is the best pace bowler in general. There have been better fast bowlers than Steyn. Marshall, Hadlee and Ambrose spring to mind, not to mention players like McGrath, Akram and such. He is however quite the special player in terms of his strike rate, if you need a wicket fast, he is the best seen in a long time, and quite special in that regard. 

Basically, much in the same way if I wanted mind numbing consistency to wear an opposition down, I'd pick McGrath, if I just wanted to get someone out, I'd throw the ball to Steyn. 

Hadlee was considered by many to be the best new ball bowler ever , he certainly made it deviate a it:)

Hadlee was considered by many to be the best new ball bowler ever , he certainly made it deviate a it:)

Hadlee was a ridiculously good player, and another one who would have 40' gold statues to his honour if he were from Australia or England. He wasn't too shabby with the bat either from what I've been told. Not quite Imran Khan levels, but still. 

One of the most unfortunate players in history of course was his countryman Bond, who could easily have been up there with the greats if not for his injury issues. 

Archived