The Ashes

Ovis aries

Consider me astounded, 508 to win in 155 or so overs.

Just don't really see the point, unless there's a worry about rain tomorrow the extra 10 overs isn't likely to make a difference because if we bat 140 overs there's every chance we'll win the game. In reality we'll probably be cleaned up for under 300 though. I suppose they think a chase is so unlikely it's worth playing a bit safer in case of some unexpected rain.

"If we bat for 140 overs"

"bat for 140 overs"

"140 overs"

Gives England something they can "chase", on an aging pitch, meaning there'll be the temptation to not just shut up shop. Clarke is an aggressive captain, and he'll believe that Australia can take this chance to make sure they wrap up the match and don't regret just batting on for no reason. 

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"bat for 140 overs"

"140 overs"

Gives England something they can "chase", on an aging pitch, meaning there'll be the temptation to not just shut up shop. Clarke is an aggressive captain, and he'll believe that Australia can take this chance to make sure they wrap up the match and don't regret just batting on for no reason. 

I suppose its just the more runs you have to play with the more attacking fields you can set , they will probably have about eight men around the bat when Lyon comes on.

PS

Please excuse the extra header it happens every time I change my mind and do not make an intended post for some reason

"bat for 140 overs"

"140 overs"

I think acknowledging that England have very little chance of batting 140 overs kind of agrees with my point though. Lets say there's about 1/100 chance (my guess) Australia bowl us out in the last 10 overs of the game tomorrow, do you really think it's worth giving us a 1/15 chance (current odds) to win the game to cover that eventuality? I'd also argue that this England lineup is far less suited to setting up shop than just playing naturally and an unreachable target could have caused more psychological problems than a (theoretically) attainable one.

It's likely all elementary anyway, but if Australia need those last 10 overs tomorrow I'll give Clarke the credit he's due.

We are getting done by second string and occasional bowlers , this is rubbish .

Not sure I'd call Starc or Johnson second string or occasional. Marsh is a genuine all rounder too.

It is rubbish though, I'll give you that.

Not sure I'd call Starc or Johnson second string or occasional. Marsh is a genuine all rounder too.

It is rubbish though, I'll give you that.

Hazelwood would not be playing though if Harris had not retired , same with Marsh if Watson had any form

Hazelwood would not be playing though if Harris had not retired , same with Marsh if Watson had any form

I'd actually argue that Hazlewood is Australia's best bowler at the moment. If Harris were fit, it'd have been Starc sitting out, not Hazlewood. He's absolute class and has been showing it recently. 

As for Marsh, he is more than a batsmen who can bowl a bit, he's a genuine all rounder, and an better bowler than batsmen. 

Anyhow, dropped catch by Voges. 

I'd actually argue that Hazlewood is Australia's best bowler at the moment. If Harris were fit, it'd have been Starc sitting out, not Hazlewood. He's absolute class and has been showing it recently. 

As for Marsh, he is more than a batsmen who can bat a bit, he's a genuine all rounder, and an better bowler than batsmen. 

Anyhow, dropped catch by Voges. 

That's your opinion , but it is not what Ponting said during the first test .

That's your opinion , but it is not what Ponting said during the first test .

...well, it's what everyone in Australia is saying too, and I haven't heard Ponting's exact comments (nor can I find that) on that matter, nor am I sure of their relevance as he is not a selector to my knowledge. 

In any case, he is currently Australia's form bowler, and arguably best, and it's showing. Despite your opinion that he's second string, he's shown in the past year that he's clearly shown he's better than that.

Archived