The Ashes

Ovis aries

Cook must be absolutely fuming down the other end. This is about as bad as it gets...

Whilst we've been poor/Aus have been good with the ball it's about time Cook put a decent knock in and dug us out for a change. Hopefully he can get through what will more than likely be a very tough morning session and bat out like Smith and Rodgers did. 

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst we've been poor/Aus have been good with the ball it's about time Cook put a decent knock in and dug us out for a change. Hopefully he can get through what will more than likely be a very tough morning session and bat out like Smith and Rodgers did. 

For a change? 38-3 against WI in the first innings in Barbados and he got a hundred to take us to a some way respectable total. 140 run deficit after the first knock at Lord's against New Zealand and he racked up a gritty 162. Good grief you wouldn't think he was averaging comfortably above 50 this year with posts like that.

What is most disappointing is that Australia haven't been particularly special with the ball yet we find ourselves almost immediately 4 down simply giving it away. On the plus side Cook seems to have largely overcome his judgment issues outside off stump (big jinx, sorry) that plagued him for 12-18 months and should cash in on this pitch, assuming he doesn't run out of partners. Fortunately Stokes looks comfortable too (again, sorry) and seems to have a liking for Lord's, here's hoping they bat long tomorrow.

For a change? 38-3 against WI in the first innings in Barbados and he got a hundred to take us to a some way respectable total. 140 run deficit after the first knock at Lord's against New Zealand and he racked up a gritty 162. Good grief you wouldn't think he was averaging comfortably above 50 this year with posts like that.

What is most disappointing is that Australia haven't been particularly special with the ball yet we find ourselves almost immediately 4 down simply giving it away. On the plus side Cook seems to have largely overcome his judgment issues outside off stump (big jinx, sorry) that plagued him for 12-18 months and should cash in on this pitch, assuming he doesn't run out of partners. Fortunately Stokes looks comfortable too (again, sorry) and seems to have a liking for Lord's, here's hoping they bat long tomorrow.

If you think about it, we're really only 1 proper wicket down, because Lyth, Ballance and Bell are as effective as a set of stumps.

If you think about it, we're really only 1 proper wicket down, because Lyth, Ballance and Bell are as effective as a set of stumps.

As much as I like Bell, unfortunately you're probably right about him now. Needs runs in the second innings, and not a flashy looking 50-60, to restore faith. Unfortunately we're not exactly blessed with upper middle order batsmen to replace him. Taylor is a possibility, but he has his own deficiencies and isn't in great nick anyway. Bairstow another, but I'd be reluctant to bring him in as it would almost certainly mean moving Joe Root up from number 5 which I tend to think is a bad idea, but who knows.

Lyth is technically poor outside off stump at this level but needs time to adjust to test cricket, whatever happens I'd be giving him the whole series to see how he goes. Ballance is going through one of those spells you often see in test cricket. Seemingly worked out after bursting onto the scene and it's now up to him to correct his technique and find a way to knock bowlers off that full length that's causing him problems.

As much as I like Bell, unfortunately you're probably right about him now. Needs runs in the second innings, and not a flashy looking 50-60, to restore faith. Unfortunately we're not exactly blessed with upper middle order batsmen to replace him. Taylor is a possibility, but he has his own deficiencies and isn't in great nick anyway. Bairstow another, but I'd be reluctant to bring him in as it would almost certainly mean moving Joe Root up from number 5 which I tend to think is a bad idea, but who knows.

Lyth is technically poor outside off stump at this level but needs time to adjust to test cricket, whatever happens I'd be giving him the whole series to see how he goes. Ballance is going through one of those spells you often see in test cricket. Seemingly worked out after bursting onto the scene and it's now up to him to correct his technique and find a way to knock bowlers off that full length that's causing him problems.

Balance basically starts deep, then plays back to everything. If he'd have gone forward, the ball which yorked him would have been a friendly full toss. Bell, in fairness, got an absolute peach. If the upper order gets blown away again second time around, I reckon the KP calls from Joe Public will be deafening - and ignored. 

Well, that's been a couple of days...

How's the weather forecast? The Australian's hate the follow-on with a passion these days, but they've been piling on the runs again. I'd guess as long as the forecast looks okay they'll declare about an hour after lunch, aiming for around a 500ish lead with 4 and a half sessions to bat.

I guess from here it's about holding on. 

Well, that's been a couple of days...

How's the weather forecast? The Australian's hate the follow-on with a passion these days, but they've been piling on the runs again. I'd guess as long as the forecast looks okay they'll declare about an hour after lunch, aiming for around a 500ish lead with 4 and a half sessions to bat.

I guess from here it's about holding on. 

The weather was looking bad for today but (un)fortunately the rain seems to have vanished and we're looking at sun all day. Some dark cloud Monday but no rain expected right now.

A lot of the pundits were suggesting Clarke would declare at lunch today with a lead of 500. Frankly I'd be both pleased and astounded if he did that, a lot is made of the psychology of test cricket and if England still have a chance to win the game by just batting normally at tea today Clarke has really messed up in my opinion. This pitch is still dead flat and, massive world record chase or not, it'd be something for the batsmen to be positive about following 3 and a half very poor days. A lead of 550-575 with 4 and a half sessions to knock us over seems much more likely to me. 

Another option for England would be to move Ali up the order ,this would also allow the selection of Rashid which would give us another spinner ,a leggy .

To part with my typical stance of disagreeing with anything anyone posts on here about cricket, this is something definitely worth considering.

Unless he gets a match saving 100 tomorrow, I'd drop Bell, bring in Rashid and move Ali to 4. Good wrist spin is always a wicket taking option and as long as we're not relying on him to tie down an end it's a very good option to have. Right now he'd probably score more runs than Bell too, very capable at number 8.

Another option for England would be to move Ali up the order ,this would also allow the selection of Rashid which would give us another spinner ,a leggy .

I thought the original plan was to play Rashid this match (in place of Ali who was caring an injury if I recall), but he was injured in the lead up. 

Is Moeen actually a good enough Batsmen to be played as a batsmen? I get England has a bit of a thing for all rounders, but surely playing Ali, Stokes and Rashid all in the same side would be a bit too many bits and pieces players, and not enough front line batsmen and bowlers. Particularly for a side known for collapses in recent years I'd be thinking that it's probably not the greatest idea. 

The weather was looking bad for today but (un)fortunately the rain seems to have vanished and we're looking at sun all day. Some dark cloud Monday but no rain expected right now.

A lot of the pundits were suggesting Clarke would declare at lunch today with a lead of 500. Frankly I'd be both pleased and astounded if he did that, a lot is made of the psychology of test cricket and if England still have a chance to win the game by just batting normally at tea tomorrow Clarke has really messed up in my opinion. This pitch is still dead flat and, massive world record chase or not, it'd be something for the batsmen to be positive about following 3 and a half very poor days. A lead of 550-575 with 4 and a half sessions to knock us over seems much more likely to me. 

Giving England something they could actually "chase" batting normally may actually be a good idea in the England. I still don't rate this bowling attack as quite experienced enough to break down a batting side that are just there to bat out overs. Giving them something "doable" and backing the bowlers to do a job is potentially a better idea, particularly with Starc, who I'm still unconvinced is actually capable of being dangerous against someone who doesn't have to score runs. 

I'd think they'll declare with whatever they have an hour after lunch, but depending on what Warner and Rogers do this morning they could declare as early as lunch. Even if they were "positive" about being able to chase a world record though, if Cook or Lyth went early, the heads would start to drop, and the ball does swing early at Lords. I do agree though if they survive the new ball, England could potentially give a real go at a big chase though. I wouldn't say it is really in the set of realistic possibilities though. 

Giving England something they could actually "chase" batting normally may actually be a good idea in the England. I still don't rate this bowling attack as quite experienced enough to break down a batting side that are just there to bat out overs. Giving them something "doable" and backing the bowlers to do a job is potentially a better idea, particularly with Starc, who I'm still unconvinced is actually capable of being dangerous against someone who doesn't have to score runs. 

I'd think they'll declare with whatever they have an hour after lunch, but depending on what Warner and Rogers do this morning they could declare as early as lunch. Even if they were "positive" about being able to chase a world record though, if Cook or Lyth went early, the heads would start to drop, and the ball does swing early at Lords. I do agree though if they survive the new ball, England could potentially give a real go at a big chase though. I wouldn't say it is really in the set of realistic possibilities though. 

500 in 150 overs they can pretty much dig in for 2 sessions and it's still very doable if we were to make it through today just 2 or 3 down. The ball usually swings early at Lords but it has barely done so this week and if Lyth can refrain from wafting 2 feet outside off stump he should be able to see off the initial onslaught, there's no demons here. It's not that I'm saying I'll be off to the bookies if Clarke declares 500 ahead at Lunch but I just don't see the point it giving us any sniff at all, heads will already be down and for the sake of 15 overs I'm not sure it's worth giving any cause for optimism.

With regards to Ali, he's probably not good enough to be an ideal top order test batsman but we don't really have a great deal of options to bat up there. Taylor isn't in great nick and Bairstow is much more comfortable down the order. Past that I'm not even sure who'd be realistically in line for a call up. Since our collapses have been coming from the top order in recent times I wouldn't be too concerned about dropping one of them for a wicket taking spin option who can bat a bit, but I do take your point. In an ideal world we could just bring a proper batsman into the misfiring top order.

Consider me astounded, 508 to win in 155 or so overs.

Just don't really see the point, unless there's a worry about rain tomorrow the extra 10 overs isn't likely to make a difference because if we bat 140 overs there's every chance we'll win the game. In reality we'll probably be cleaned up for under 300 though. I suppose they think a chase is so unlikely it's worth playing a bit safer in case of some unexpected rain.

Archived