The Ashes

Ovis aries

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...well, it's what everyone in Australia is saying too, and I haven't heard Ponting's exact comments (nor can I find that) on that matter, nor am I sure of their relevance as he is not a selector to my knowledge. 

In any case, he is currently Australia's form bowler, and arguably best, and it's showing. Despite your opinion that he's second string, he's shown in the past year that he's clearly shown he's better than that.

They only have Johnson in the top 10

Rankings are meaningless for a low number of caps. The fact that Siddle is still ranked 14th speaks volumes, particularly when the Australian hiarachy at the moment ranks Hazlewood far ahead of him. Still, even on that horrifically weakly put argument, Hazlewood is ranked above all English bowlers apart from Anderson and Broad. 

We have 2 in the top 10 and one of those - Anderson - has taken very few wickets in recent tests. Of our other bowlers, Wood is finding his feet, Stokes looks ineffective and the two spinners are part-time at best.

The England bowlers have got nothing out of this pitch and taken 10 wickets for 800 runs. The Australian attack have got life out of the pitch and could well wrap it up today for a victory of 400-odd runs.

Johnson again. England have no answer. Forgot "500 being achievable", 100 is starting to look out of reach. 

I wonder if there'll be a few quiet words about not making more pitches like this one around the country. 

Johnson again. England have no answer. Forgot "500 being achievable", 100 is starting to look out of reach. 

I wonder if there'll be a few quiet words about not making more pitches like this one around the country. 

This whole notion of requesting certain types of pitch is a terrible contradiction of the spirit of cricket.

This whole notion of requesting certain types of pitch is a terrible contradiction of the spirit of cricket.

If this were a prepared pitch in that sense, the side have gotten exactly what they deserved. 

Johnson is looking brutal at the moment. It seems this test match has just warmed Australia up. If Rogers is fit and ready for the next match this series could get very interesting. 

We have 2 in the top 10 and one of those - Anderson - has taken very few wickets in recent tests. Of our other bowlers, Wood is finding his feet, Stokes looks ineffective and the two spinners are part-time at best.

The England bowlers have got nothing out of this pitch and taken 10 wickets for 800 runs. The Australian attack have got life out of the pitch and could well wrap it up today for a victory of 400-odd runs.

What are you getting on at me for , when I said there second string and occasional bowlers where getting us out I was agreeing with you , our bowlers have been crap in this game .

It was me that highlighted Andersons poor form of late .

If this were a prepared pitch in that sense, the side have gotten exactly what they deserved. 

Johnson is looking brutal at the moment. It seems this test match has just warmed Australia up. If Rogers is fit and ready for the next match this series could get very interesting. 

Maybe not the word I'd use to describe it if it's anything like this week.

Changes would be nice in the England top order but the problem is, as I've touched upon, we're not blessed with any depth. Our domestic competition is a joke and, Yorkshire aside, the counties are failing to produce any particularly exciting long form talent. I've said we've no top order prospects and I think the situation is as bad or worse in the bowling department.

That said, we showed that on a pitch with a bit of lateral movement we can cause the Australian lineup some problems. I'll be extremely surprised if we don't see a covering of grass on the pitch at Edgbaston.

Archived