The Ashes

Ovis aries

It's an accumulation of poor batting

It's just his 5th test, and he's been opening the batting against two of the best attacks on the planet. Unless someone is banging down the door for his spot I can't really see the point. 

In any case, England are very much on top right now. 

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love test cricket.

Oh, me too! I've recently come to terms with T20 and ODI cricket (after having snootily dismissed them for years, the former more than the latter), but test cricket is always where its at. Using a football analogy, for me, shorter forms of the game feel like a friendly, tests feel like a proper competitive game - if you see what I mean. I just don't take the short-form game half as seriously. And this is after having grown up with English test sides of the bloody 1990s! 

As soon as it was obvious that Wood was struggling, he was mooted as a possible, especially seeing as he was named in the 13.

An interesting fact about Finn - of bowlers who have delivered more than 2000 balls in test cricket, he has the best career strike rate for more than 50 years (better than a wicket every 8 overs)

Yea that would be a great fact if it was true ;)

edit: Whilst I suppose you meant for England, that's not (quite) true either

Yea that would be a great fact if it was true ;)

edit: Whilst I suppose you meant for England, that's not (quite) true either

Blame Sky - they said it.

Surely Benedict wasn't wrong? I'm appalled.

Anyway, only Simon Jones is ahead of him in the last 50 years for England. Plenty of non English higher though, including Dale Steyn of course.

I've just checked.

Benedict, at the time it was stated, was 100% correct. If Finn had retired after those first 14 balls, his career strike rate would have been marginally better than that of Jones. Unfortunately, the next 7.4 overs dropped him down into second place.

Apologies, I see what has happened. When he cleaned Clarke up he would have nudged just above Jones so it was probably correct at the time the stat was broadcast.

Yep.

Jones  47.81355

Finn    47.43478

Archived