Richard Keogh

Smiffy2491

Captaincy is a very old school notion. Doesn't really matter on the face of it. I very much doubt team mates care about who's the captain.  They'll care about who's picking the team, then hopefully as one from there. This idea of demoting or promoting captains is just nonsense. The same player is there regardless. 

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Captaincy is a very old school notion. Doesn't really matter on the face of it. I very much doubt team mates care about who's the captain.  They'll care about who's picking the team, then hopefully as one from there. This idea of demoting or promoting captains is just nonsense. The same player is there regardless. 

It has an extra role in the modern game, at least the way they want to develop football, in that only the captains can discuss things with the Ref. I know that hasn't really worked out as such but it is getting there. So I suppose you should factor that in, you don't want a captain who's going to start abusing the ref when things don't go your way, and you don't want a captain that some people might not be able to understand.

Yes, Frank Large. I'm old, the memory isn't what it was and I'm in the middle of 10,000 lines of code at the moment (writing a project planner)

I genuinely had to read that twice. I thought you'd typed "10000 lines of coke". "**** me" thought I, that eddie can party.

I don't have a issue with Keogh the person, I have never given a abuse at a match.

But to improve on last season's finish we have to change that defence and install a captain that actually leads by example.

We need sombody that can marshall the defence in set pieces, that can bring the ball out of defence with confidance, the last 10 games of the season sumed up Keogh and his leadership qualities....

We need a cool head in there not a headless chicken.

We need an new leader!

It has an extra role in the modern game, at least the way they want to develop football, in that only the captains can discuss things with the Ref. I know that hasn't really worked out as such but it is getting there. So I suppose you should factor that in, you don't want a captain who's going to start abusing the ref when things don't go your way, and you don't want a captain that some people might not be able to understand.

I always thought that is what Shackell did. Always constantly moaning at the ref.

I don't get why people think a captains armband is that important anyway, if you are already a good leader you don't need an armband to prove that. 

It's not like if we give Jake Buxton the armband then everyone will start to play better. I really think it means nothing. 

if Shackell signs - which I think is very likely - then he comes back as captain, no way Keogh can stay then.    Personally don't think he is bad but probably not premier league class, recon the 3-4M fee that has been rumoured is about optimistic though! I'd be happy to get back what we are going to pay for Shackell tbh

I don't get why people think a captains armband is that important anyway, if you are already a good leader you don't need an armband to prove that. 

It's not like if we give Jake Buxton the armband then everyone will start to play better. I really think it means nothing. 

Blame Football Manager.

It's not always that simple. For example Beckham started to to play better and especially work harder when he got armband. It was very notable change.

I don't have a issue with Keogh the person, I have never given a abuse at a match.

But to improve on last season's finish we have to change that defence and install a captain that actually leads by example.

We need sombody that can marshall the defence in set pieces, that can bring the ball out of defence with confidance, the last 10 games of the season sumed up Keogh and his leadership qualities....

We need a cool head in there not a headless chicken.

We need an new leader!

If you find a CB like that in the Champ i'll be surprised.

All the captain stuff is rubbish. People always going on about it. Anyone ever played football? Have you EVER looked to your captain for anything?

No. You listen to players you like and respect. 

Nobody here knows how popular, respected or liked Keogh is. They judge his captaincy based on lip reading and arm movements. 

Not aiming this at you especially but I just keep reading it. Like players are robots and you program them. 

They're actual people with real relationships we know nothing about. The guy who looks a great captain to you might be sat on his own in the canteen everyday because he gets on people's nerves. You might like the way he shouts and points but maybe nobody is listening. 

I don't know where all this captain talk comes from. Think about your own football days. 

Hand on heart I never listened to one of my captains. He was a head it and kick it CB. A giant hoof merchant. All he wanted was protecting and the ball as far away from our goal as possible. He'd scream if you passed sideways in your own half. He was good. Stronger and faster than any lad he played against. Taller too. But his leadership was all based around him. No comforting words for errors high up the pitch. No interest in anything that went on over the halfway line. Nice lad, good blocker. Best defender I've played with. Never listened to him. Always glued to the manager though which set him apart a bit.

I listened to the lad next to him. A lad who was good on the ball but fairly weak defending. He'd played center midfield for a few years but was put in defence because it was the only way the ball ever left the CB's on the floor. But he was a great lad. Always one of the lads too. Not glued to the manager. He just quite quietly went about his job. He'd come over and have a quiet word if he felt exposed. He'd let you know if he'd noticed something bad keep happening and he'd ask and suggest what you can do. But he made you want to help rather than feel like you had to.He wouldn't make you scared of trying stuff and he never moaned. He was everybody's secret captain. Never wore the armband though. 

You can't pick a captain from up in the stands. 

And players pick their leaders anyway.

If you find a CB like that in the Champ i'll be surprised.

All the captain stuff is rubbish. People always going on about it. Anyone ever played football? Have you EVER looked to your captain for anything?

No. You listen to players you like and respect. 

Nobody here knows how popular, respected or liked Keogh is. They judge his captaincy based on lip reading and arm movements. 

Not aiming this at you especially but I just keep reading it. Like players are robots and you program them. 

They're actual people with real relationships we know nothing about. The guy who looks a great captain to you might be sat on his own in the canteen everyday because he gets on people's nerves. You might like the way he shouts and points but maybe nobody is listening. 

I don't know where all this captain talk comes from. Think about your own football days. 

Hand on heart I never listened to one of my captains. He was a head it and kick it CB. A giant hoof merchant. All he wanted was protecting and the ball as far away from our goal as possible. He'd scream if you passed sideways in your own half. He was good. Stronger and faster than any lad he played against. Taller too. But his leadership was all based around him. No comforting words for errors high up the pitch. No interest in anything that went on over the halfway line. Nice lad, good blocker. Best defender I've played with. Never listened to him. Always glued to the manager though which set him apart a bit.

I listened to the lad next to him. A lad who was good on the ball but fairly weak defending. He'd played center midfield for a few years but was put in defence because it was the only way the ball ever left the CB's on the floor. But he was a great lad. Always one of the lads too. Not glued to the manager. He just quite quietly went about his job. He'd come over and have a quiet word if he felt exposed. He'd let you know if he'd noticed something bad keep happening and he'd ask and suggest what you can do. But he made you want to help rather than feel like you had to.He wouldn't make you scared of trying stuff and he never moaned. He was everybody's secret captain. Never wore the armband though. 

You can't pick a captain from up in the stands. 

And players pick their leaders anyway.

I surprised you weren't captain. 

I'll be amazed if Keogh is still here at the start of the season. All the McClaren era coaches have been cleared out. I can't see McClaren's captain being retained and I can't see Keogh wanting to stay after his wife's treatment on Twitter.

This is how I would do it.

come in sit down Richard,golden handshake you say.

do you like playing international football if so drop this now before I dump you in the U21 squad for the rest of your contract you ungrateful sod.

now close the door on your way out.

So we are effectively going to pay around 6 million for shackell? Keogh is quoted at being worth around 4 million. Unless that means something like 1.5 million +keogh for shackell. Either way it's a very bad deal for us

Shackell has just 1 year on his contract. If he wants to go then the fact that right now Burnley can reject a £2m offer is quite astonishing. 

Archived