Radio Derby Live @ Derby Quad 6pm

Day

​They swap the player giving the talk after the next loss, like the match-day threads on here.

Hughes for me, epitomises our style of play, youth product and seems to be the one that talks the other young player through games, often seen chatting with Ibe during a game.

​That seems a very long time ago after the recent run and final disappointment that we have just had. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Owen Bradley just doesn't ask the right questions in his interviews with the manager , and seems frightened to raise difficult issues.

Say Owen Bradley is reading and this was your chance to offer him some constructive feedback, what questions doesn't he ask right or seem frightened of? Examples if possible

Say Owen Bradley is reading and this was your chance to offer him some constructive feedback, what questions doesn't he ask right or seem frightened of? Examples if possible

​Steve when will you lose that ridiculous tuft on the middle of your head?

​Steve when will you lose that ridiculous tuft on the middle of your head?

Have you seen Owen's hair? Not sure he's the best person to comment on others, might be best left to Ed Dawes that one...

​it's not what questions he does and doesn't ask, his tweet after the Q&A, something like "I cannot believe McClaren has admitted he turned down Newcastle at a Q&A.." was irresponsible and created a witch hunt. Considering the source was a tweet from some blogger who was asked clearly not to tweet before the Q&A started, and it was an inaccurate tweet, I expected better. The knock on was Steve Nicholson reporting it in the Derby Telegraph too. 

The storms in teacups could've been avoided easily, but they were fuelled.

​it's not what questions he does and doesn't ask, his tweet after the Q&A, something like "I cannot believe McClaren has admitted he turned down Newcastle at a Q&A.." was irresponsible and created a witch hunt. Considering the source was a tweet from some blogger who was asked clearly not to tweet before the Q&A started, and it was an inaccurate tweet, I expected better. The knock on was Steve Nicholson reporting it in the Derby Telegraph too. 

The storms in teacups could've been avoided easily, but they were fuelled.

"Apparently" ​The exact tweet...

Later replies to a tweet about the accuracy of that and said that he has spoken to at least 10 people that said it was. I know you went Mostyn, seems to be a lot of mixed reports of what was actually said that night, we'll never know how much the speculation effected the players, only they will know (Agree with Nicholson on last nights live show) and it seems only those that went to the Q&A will ever really know what was exactly said.

Either way, not sure why it would create a witch hunt if I'm honest, if a manager we want to stay turns down another club in a league above, surely that would be great news for us wouldn't it? 

The "knock on article" by Nicholson was reporting what fans were saying on Twitter..... 

DERBY County head coach Steve McClaren has muddied the waters over his link with Newcastle United by telling a fans' Q&A forum last night he turned down the Premier League club in January.

He has been linked with Newcastle for months and is odds-on favourite with the bookmakers to replace John Carver as head coach next season.

McClaren has continually played down what he calls "speculation".

Fans have taken to twitter over the matter.

Derby County Podcast said: "From McClaren himself at the Q&A, he said he turned it (Newcastle) down in the winter."

Martin Broadhurst said: "Yep, definitely said he turned them down in winter."

Maybe an apparently could have been squeezed into the first sentence in the DET article as well, but all they have done is reported what they have been told from those that were there, which you disagree with.

Again McClaren could have ended this all himself months ago better, I'm not interested in joining Newcastle, I'm 100% committed to Derby County and I'll be here next season. You could argue he shouldn't have to respond to all rumours and I'll agree to a certain extent but this was snowballing into something big, I brushed it off at the time but when you look back it's clear he was leaving all doors open, how close or how interested he was in going we'll never know.

Thinking about it @Mostyn6 I remember tweeting you this picture, with a reply from someone else who was also there that night....

CDTyDUzW0AEsxgk.jpg

​as I said at the time, people need to be careful how they interpret what was actually said. "there was reported interest in the winter... I spoke to Sam Rush and said I wasn't interest" was seen as him turning them down!

just to add, I'd be interested to hear/read those people's recollections of what was EXACTLY said by McClaren! lol

​Same here, we need to round them all up, take statements from each and figure out what was said!

Got to see that all the RD and DET guys were doing is reporting what they get told tho surely?

Even in this thread we have one calling them ********* for an unknown reason as yet, another says "it should have been obvious to anyone with a brain cell that he'd never go there. Was really sick of their negativity and stirring by the end of the season." Is that a I don't want them covering the story at all, ignore it? and then we have another that says Owen Bradley is frightened to ask the right questions.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Twitter you must have seen it was bombarding them with ask McClaren about Newcastle, it was a hot topic and the fans wanted answers, and let's face it managers answer their own version of the question anyway. 

​Same here, we need to round them all up, take statements from each and figure out what was said!

Got to see that all the RD and DET guys were doing is reporting what they get told tho surely?

Even in this thread we have one calling them ********* for an unknown reason as yet, another says "it should have been obvious to anyone with a brain cell that he'd never go there. Was really sick of their negativity and stirring by the end of the season." Is that a I don't want them covering the story at all, ignore it? and then we have another that says Owen Bradley is frightened to ask the right questions.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Twitter you must have seen it was bombarding them with ask McClaren about Newcastle, it was a hot topic and the fans wanted answers, and let's face it managers answer their own version of the question anyway. 

​yes it was obvious they were quoting someone's twitter, but that doesn't make it responsible journalism though!

All it did was fuel the fire.

Bloke tweets>Bradley questions tweet>Bradley followers react to tweet as if truth>Massive reaction>Nicholson reports on reaction>People react to Nicholson story>Witchhunt ensues

Doesn't "apparently" kinda tell you that he's just saying what he's heard, can't really be held responsible for fans getting their knickers in a twist without stopping to think?

Doesn't "apparently" kinda tell you that he's just saying what he's heard, can't really be held responsible for fans getting their knickers in a twist without stopping to think?

​not when you read the interchange immediately after between himself and Nicholson. Bradley tweeted as if he believed it was true and that McClaren deserved criticism for contradicting himself.

I think they were pretty miffed that they had been told different in interviews then heard that McClaren had "apparently" told the Q&A different, wasn't really an exchange either, Nicholson saying he was equally staggered that's all. Again I know you say this was said and others said that was said, clearly they trusted the people it was coming from to tweet that.

people that were invited as they were season ticket holders and supposedly trustworthy, that were specifically asked NOT to tweet anything that was said during the Q&A. Yes one traitor did, and not only that, he tweeted his interpretation of a 3 minute answer in a way that caused trouble IMO!

I was there and I agreed with what @Mostyn6 reported at the time. As did my other half - I  checked this out with him after all the fuss on here. 

I was so mad about the inaccuracy of the reports that I  cancelled my DET subscription.  

Other than that incident I have no problem with either reporter - they ask the questions that the fans ask them to. I am more disappointed about what those are at times!

Archived