Derby County vs Reading

Carl Sagan

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Cheers, Daaaave - is that meant to rhyme with Baaaaahhh - like what sheep do?

​Are you that thick that you think Daaaave and baaaaahhhh rhyme?

I should have a word with your teacher first thing on Monday and ask what rhyme means

Right, well I decided not to post my thoughts on here last night until I had time to reflect and look at the 'highlights'

Goal 1 - Poor from Hughes, half hearted challenge from Albentosa and schoolboy defending from Keogh, he really should be banking on his goalkeeper making the save from that angle and not be diving in (he didn't learn from it though and did exactly the same in the second half)

Goal 2 - Poor from Shotton, there seemed to be a few other players around where the ball dropped but nobody seemed desparate to get the ball clear

Goal 3 - Thought it was offside but having watched back he was clearly played on by someone trotting out of the area. Grants reaction seemed to suggest the player dived but, lets be honest, it was all over by then.

Some observations from the match:-

Poor decision to wait until the most important match of the season to try Warnock at DCM. If Mac thought he could play the role, why was he not tried there 6 or 8 weeks ago? Taking Warnock off pretty much handed control of the midfield to Reading, Chalobah just bossed it from there on in.

Johnny Russell was not in the slightest bit interested until he was moved on to the right hand side (is he one of the players who is supposedly upset by the loanee situation?)

Despite what others are saying, I don't think the crowd helped the situation. Other than 10 minutes in the second half there was very little support. The booing at half time just about summed up what sort of crowd we have attracted by raising expectation levels. I think from the moment they scored everyone knew what was coming.

One thing that really annoyed me was only 2 minutes added time at the end of the first half. The ref has numerous words with their players about timewasting (which started after about 5 minutes), there was 2 substitutions and they had a player down injured for 3 or 4 minutes. Completely irrelevant to the game but I am sick of the consistently poor officiating this season.

Overall, we got what deserved...absolutely nothing.

Will be very interested to hear what the issues are behind the scenes which have led to our collapse.

Heard that McClaren will not be appointed by Newcastle until after the PL season has finished. Also heard a potential replacement and think everyone will be very underwhelmed if it turns out to be true! Only time will tell and I will refrain from saying anymore as I don't want to be labelled a rumour monger etc etc

Agree with all of that the first goal was a catalogue of errors why Keogh chose to fly in like that rather then stay on his feet and hold the striker up is exactly why he will always be suspect. Saying that Shotton just stood there vacant for their second goal. Obviously McClarens coaching on the training ground has been working wonders.

GRANT .. 5

SHOTTON .. 2

KEOGH ..5

ALBENTOSA .. 0 .. one of the most woeful displays I have ever seen from a Derby County player, like a tanker on the turn, distribution wayward, and the only pass he could pick was the 6 yarder sideways to Keogh .. and he was touted as our saviour at the centre of defence .. JAKE BUXTON has been proven to be far and away the best centre back this club have fielded this season, and oh boy, how have we missed him ! 

FORSYTH .. 4

WARNOCK .. 5 ., wasn't doing too badly before he went off .. 

HENDRICK .. 4

HUGHES .. 5 .. and the first goal wasn't his fault, Albentosa was 'asleep at the wheel' and too easily mugged by the Reading man .. 

INCE .. 5

BENT .. 2 .. apart from his goals early on, a 2 to Martin's 10 as a contributor to Derby's season ..

RUSSELL .. 3

MARTIN .. 6 .. still the best Derby player, even though half fit, and no team deserves to go up when an injury to one player costs them so dearly, and Martin's injury WAS the reason Derby's season collapsed so spectacularly ! 

LINGARD .. 4 

WARD .. 4 

​A bit off piste, but something else which really bothered me at the Millwall game last week was how many Derby fans spent the entire game goading the Millwall fans about getting relegated. and losing a 3-1 lead.  Call me superstitious but I believe in what goes around comes around, and it bit us in the ****today big time.  We had nothing to crow about scraping a point from a poor, demoralised side.  Who's laughing at us now?

​Bit late to say this but something similar happened at the Bournemouth away game. "**** ground no fans" just makes us sound like d heads.

That early goal completely destroyed us. Reading were happy to take their time & sit on it letting our defenders pass between themselves. Was Warnock injured? Couldn't understand the substitution so early. It got worse after he went off. Absolutely nothing went for us. Our corners were cleared or crap. And Reading seem to have a chance every time they had a corner! 

It's like what Katanka said : "It's a big surprise about Derby. I thought they'd be in the top position. Now they're on their holidays!" 

Sick of the Albentosa bashing. How often do you see a foreigner come into the English game in January and do well? Hardly ever. Doesnt help when you have a bombscare playing along side you. Yesterday he had a tough game because for some reason Keogh and Grant kept passing to a right footed guy playing on the left of the defence in such a way that made it nearly impossible to do something with his right foot. Had he been left footed the passes would of been fine but players around arent taking his foot preference into consideration. Keogh drives the ball hard across the pitch, thats a hard thing to control with your wrong foot or your prefered foot on the wrong side of the pitch.

There is plenty about Albentosa that suggest given a good preseason he will be a rock in the defence,

I agree with i-ram, I found Mac's tactics odd yesterday. Warnock didnt seem to have proper instructions from the start. For the wise head who should of been holding he held a high position and often drifted into left back alongside Forsyth. When he came off for Lingard that made things difficult tactically in the second half with regards to subs. Should of been Ward on for Warnock IMO. Why was Grant taking long kicks against a team of more physical players? Reading mopped up everything he kicked long.

Thought the crowd was harsh and didnt help the team yesterday. I understand the desire to boo etc because of the last few months but in such a crucial game it didnt help. Calling for forward balls and attacking when the opposition has 10 men in front of the box is just idiotic. Football fans are so frustrating.

Also, I would be seriously pissed off if I was Jamie Ward. I can only assume Lingard had a clause in his loan agreement that gave him a certain amount of game time as he did nothing in his time at Derby to warrant being ahead of Ward.

PistoldPete2

Nothing good to be said at all... Darren bent, will hughes had shockers. Poor defending for first two goals.. Third looks a bit dodgy but it was already all over. Crowd were abyssal... Far too quiet and booing at half time a fecking disgrace. 

All three were crap goals defensively. 

1st one prat flys in like normal. 

2nd one they all stand about doing sod all. 

3rd one Shotton? plays the lad onside, then prat stands there like Barthez with his arm in the air, doing nothing. 

Lots of prat being a prat. 

There is plenty about Albentosa that suggest given a good preseason he will be a rock in the defence,

I am genuinely interested to know what you refer to here?

I can honestly say that, other than the half he played against Chesterfield, I have not seen him do anything that has impressed me so far. 

3rd one Shotton? plays the lad onside, then prat stands there like Barthez with his arm in the air, doing nothing. 

I think it was lingard who played him on 

thats unfair btw.

shotton was definately doing some sort of Morris dance.

Who is the library now? 

Up the town! 

well done son.

You have done much to restore Ipswich's lack of credibility

Archived