Mike Ashley

LesterRam

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32144206

what a crook, he should be banned for being a director..

Billionaire Mike Ashley's Sports Direct International has been challenged in Parliament about how the firm is run.

Mr Ashley has been criticised before for the grip he has as a majority shareholder, on the firm - famous for selling top trainers on the cheap and indestructible oversized mugs.

The Institute of Directors says it has warned already that Mr Ashley holds too much sway and the IoD's senior advisor on corporate governance, Oliver Parry says that there is no "effective check on [Mr Ashley's] power".

Now his firm's handling of the collapse of one of its businesses, fashion chain USC, is also under scrutiny, being described at the Scottish Affairs Committee as "well dodgy".

When approached by the BBC, a spokesman for Sports Direct declined to comment.

USC, which sells clothing aimed at the younger market, ran into trouble last year after a row with a supplier. The company was losing £20m a year and collapsed into administration in January, with the loss of 83 jobs at the USC distribution depot in South Ayrshire, provoking some indignation in Scotland.

When the Scottish affairs committee met last month it was determined to find out more.

Members were told, though, that Mr Ashley simply wasn't available to answer parliamentarians' questions at any point during the month of March. Mr Ashley's legal representatives then took exception to the committee's habit of publishing correspondence, citing "concerns over confidentiality" and going as far as to invoke the European Convention on Human Rights.

Keith Hellawell, the company's chairman, was sent in Mr Ashley's place. But he told the committee he and the board hadn't known anything about the collapse of USC until the day before it folded. But, he said, chief executive Dave Forsey had begun "consulting" with administrators Duff and Phelps as early as 14 November. Dr Hellawell insisted the firm "didn't want" USC to fold.

'Well dodgy'

Perhaps even more controversially USC hasn't shut up shop. Almost immediately after it went into administration the fashion retailer was bought by another part of Mr Ashley's business empire, through a so-called pre-pack administration, and is trading again. But with less debt, according to MPs.

Conservative Simon Reevell told the Scottish affairs committee: "Sports Direct had a company that was losing money, they now have the same company where the debt liability that had been incurred has gone."

"At one level, to use a technical phrase, this all looks well dodgy," he added.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clever guy.

My bet is that he's done everything perfectly within the rules. Maybe even bent them but not broken them. He would know he'd be under such scrutiny and isn't a dumb bloke to break any laws.

I agree GR. Clever, shrewd, risk taker, who I don't particularly like but you have to admire his ability to generate cash and piss off people in equal measure.

As for NUFC fans, they have pretty short memories of the state Messrs Shepherd and Hall left them in, and the cash that had to be invested to stabilise the club.  Their protest is a waste of time because notwithstanding they are watching some **** football, they have it in their DNA to turn up every Saturday to watch their beloved Mags. 

I agree GR. Clever, shrewd, risk taker, who I don't particularly like but you have to admire his ability to generate cash and piss off people in equal measure.

As for NUFC fans, they have pretty short memories of the state Messrs Shepherd and Hall left them in, and the cash that had to be invested to stabilise the club.  Their protest is a waste of time because notwithstanding they are watching some **** football, they have it in their DNA to turn up every Saturday to watch their beloved Mags. 

I used to live in Newcastle and it was brilliant on match day. The whole city centre was covered in black and White and there no doubting their passion (however deluded).

It's just another business to Ashley, buy in cheap foreign talent and sell it off at a profit. Can you blame him though? Compared to the top 4-6 nobody has a chance at champs league. It's europa at best for them and there's no money in it.

He stopping paying the rent on his main warehouse too, until the landlord sent some HGV's round and blocked the entrance! Paid up by close of business the same day.

Not just poor chavs he clothes, also owns Cruise on Sadlergate, so he clothes rich chavs too.

He stopping paying the rent on his main warehouse too, until the landlord sent some HGV's round and blocked the entrance! Paid up by close of business the same day.

Not just poor chavs he clothes, also owns Cruise on Sadlergate, so he clothes rich chavs too.

​Thank f00k i don't shop there then.  Stopped going in when they bought out Limeys...

Archived