Barker is fit to start at Wigan

Boycie

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​But I am assuming Barker is fully fit. He has completed two 90 minutes without issue. If any other player completed two 90 minutes without injury, they would be in the squad. It all seems a little pointless to me. We are basically nursing someone back to be another teams player. 

He's still getting pain in his knee after 90 minutes he's said it himself. 

He has to manage his knee a bit like Paul McGrath  did .

I also hope he returns as good as knew but is that realistic .

Will he ever be as good as before I suggest I don't know .

Dont forget he's assessed in training .

So we have a seemingly fit centre back playing in the under 21s (fit based on the fact he's comlleting 90 mins, which is more than other centre backs can manage). Yet we're playing a left back at centre back. 

Not saying Barker should be in contention because he's 100% fit, but he's fitter than others and most be close to consideration. Who did we have on the bench yesterday to take over at centre back? Would it hurt to have Barker on the bench while others are injured. 

In fact, wouldn't it be motivation ally beneficial. Some call it sentiment, but seeing barker in a kit on the bench, warming up with the lads would give the fans a lift, the team a lift, just as it did with Martin, and the power of that is not to be undervalued. 

I'd certainly consider having him on the bench against Blackpool. Get 5-0 up by half time and stick him on for the last 5 mins. 

Archived