Any idea who is going to play the defensive midfield role for the rest of the season

Sexydadbod

Having seen a couple of boys in my team suffer similar I thought his return was quick but I backed the medical staff, management and GT. Not sure if the thigh/current injury is a knock on from the ligament damage or bad luck. I would hope for the second.

It feels like an even greater blow as we have no quality cover and are on such an average run.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still no news on him. I really think we should forget about him and pay the formation we used against Wolves. I would also throw the kitchen sink in games. Our football destroyed them last night, but those silly mistakes at the back. I feel for Keogh, he was a beat yesterday same the other 4 switched off twice last night. 

Not sure when Eustace will be fit, if hes had a small op would guess minimum of 2-3 weeks and possibly more? Cant see Thorne playing many as something doesn't seem right for him to be breaking down so often.

Without a proper tackling midfielder, it doesn't bode well for the away games given our recent record on the road without Thorne/Eustace. Perhaps we might limp into the playoffs but hard to see us getting much joy as it stands, Martin back could help but with mistakes at the back also becoming regular occurences its hard to be confident.

3 points from 7 games, who would have thought it, the equivalent of 1 win and 6 defeats which is bottom of the league form without any doubt.

I would play no CDM. I think Albentosa isn't good enough, which isn't his fault he isn't quite up to speed and with 6 games left I think Shotton will be able to communicate better. Hendrick was quality at RB although he was up against 10 men, not sure how he would cope defensively for 90 minutes against 11 men. However he was much better than Christie so why not play him. Forsyth needs to be given a one game break. He's played a lot of football, including the game for Scotland and with a 2 day turn around we might be better playing Warnock vs Wigan and seeing what he can do. 

Grant

Hendrick Keogh Shotton Warnock

Ince Hughes Bryson Russell

Martin

Bent

Anybody else think we may be better trying a different system? Maybe a 3-4-3? Get Forsyth and Christie in wing back positions so they are as far away from our own goal as possible. 3 CB's as Keogh, Albentosa and Shotton. Hughes and Hendrick/Bryson in CM with the usual front 3. I think this system could work as we are lacking that CDM and its a waste playing Hughes etc there. I rate Hanson highly but I think this season is one too soon for him to have a real good influence on proceedings.

I know its an unfamiliar system to the players but it really is do or die now and something has to change to get us out this rot.

Anybody else think we may be better trying a different system? Maybe a 3-4-3? Get Forsyth and Christie in wing back positions so they are as far away from our own goal as possible. 3 CB's as Keogh, Albentosa and Shotton. Hughes and Hendrick/Bryson in CM with the usual front 3. I think this system could work as we are lacking that CDM and its a waste playing Hughes etc there. I rate Hanson highly but I think this season is one too soon for him to have a real good influence on proceedings.

I know its an unfamiliar system to the players but it really is do or die now and something has to change to get us out this rot.

How bad is it? He didn't seem too bad to me when he went off but obviously going off early... Is it possible that McClaren saw him struggling and thought "why bother asking him to run it off when we're 1-0 down and we NEED to come back to 2-1? Lets just put Hendrick on and go for it". It could still be precautionary.

He tweeted about the Arsenal game earlier anyway so he's not died of a blood clot following a really bad hamstring tear. I know that was a major worry for some of you.

How bad is it? He didn't seem too bad to me when he went off but obviously going off early... Is it possible that McClaren saw him struggling and thought "why bother asking him to run it off when we're 1-0 down and we NEED to come back to 2-1? Lets just put Hendrick on and go for it". It could still be precautionary.

He tweeted about the Arsenal game earlier anyway so he's not died of a blood clot following a really bad hamstring tear. I know that was a major worry for some of you.

Trust me that if his knee had gone again he would have been on the floor and been stretchered off as he wouldnt want to put any pressure on it (the knee). They way he went off was akin to a strain or pull.

Hughes played CDM for the last 15 mins of the first half, in the way a CDM plays in our formation, and looked rubbish. It's not his game, you could've see as soon as he got the ball he looked for easy pass, anytime he tried to take a touch or take a risk he was either pressured or tackled. He can't play his usual game, which involves driving forward and picking risky passes as he is aware there is no one behind him to cover. 

Think we need to go 4231, as then 2 of our CMs can play there, they seem more comfortable with the knowledge that there's someone with them to help cover.

What's the fixation with DM role, without Thorne or Eustace it doesn't work and won't work IMHO.

Plus the Bent upfront on his own ain't working either, we need 2 upfront as a matter of numbers as we create enough chances.We just don't have enough men in the area and are regularly out numbered when the ball pin balls in the box.

Formation rethink required. 

Archived