Members with page loading and crash issues

Day

Can you clear your cache and tell me if it's improved, the problem is still there or fixed.

Reason being I've made a change to the new advert code which is different to the old forum as it resizes for the browser size. 

I think this "may" have been causing the issue, by making the forum call for the ad code once instead of 3 times in theory should improve page speed times and may also be connected to why it was taking forever to load the next page or just flaking out.

IPhone/iPad

Settings > Safari > Clear Website data

Chrome

Menu > Tools > Clear Browsing Data

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Daveo, still suffering the next page/reload issue on Chrome (Mac)

You're right in pointing at the adverts though - as soon as I turned adblock on, I can navigate normally.

I have turned adblock off again..

​Adblock? why would you even have that installed? you realise that all websites cost money to run, all you are doing is hurting the websites that you enjoy using. 

Anyway, try Safari as I have tried both Chrome and Safari and both work fine. Chrome might not be clearing cache properly.

I use adblock in order to slim how much data is used while surfing, as well as reducing how much is cached. I'm selective about the sites I use adblock on - usually only the sites where the adverts make reading the page impossible (Derby Telegraph was appalling), or are an absolute pain. Yes I'm well aware of the need for advertising revenue (hence why it isn't running on dcfcfans), no need to teach me about it - I work in IT.

I use adblock in order to slim how much data is used while surfing, as well as reducing how much is cached. I'm selective about the sites I use adblock on - usually only the sites where the adverts make reading the page impossible (Derby Telegraph was appalling), or are an absolute pain. Yes I'm well aware of the need for advertising revenue (hence why it isn't running on dcfcfans), no need to teach me about it - I work in IT.

​I have a strong dislike for Adense :)

Try now, I think I may have nailed the issue. 

Go to a topic with multiple pages, hit refresh then try move to another page in Chrome

I'm a ******* genius, who needs software developers. The issue was down to the advert after the first post in the topic page. I was eventually able to recreate the problem and narrow it down to that with Chrome.

Explains why it never showed up on the demo board with no ads running.

Why it was happening tho needs a better genius than me, I can live without one advert for now.

I've also optimised the ad code even better so it should run quicker as well. 

Anyone else with navigation issues can you also confirm it's now working for you?

On to the next problem now grrrr

​Daveo can you delete posts from certain dates i:e, 12 months or so, it feels like its struggling to retrieve data from the database that you probably have moved, that could be why it is caching, you could make popular posts sticky and ask the board to treat them differently (permanent)

​I can but it's nothing to do with that and I shouldn't have to, the server is more than capable.

Theres an update out now which I'll be installing later when I get back from the gym, should improve things a bit more

Daveo, I still have iPad issues with crashing - I still cannot go back from the last page, even to the page before, without it crashing 9 times out of 10. I have reduced my use over the last few weeks, so when I go back to the last post I have readin a thread I sometimes want to skip say from page 4 to say page 8 of a 10 page thread, so I might only comment on something posted in the last 24 hours. Again, jumping pages throws me out.  Even, but only occasional, clicking the next page button does it.  All very frustrating.  Hope you will have fixes for this soon - with my eyesight and fat fingers using a phone is not an option, and I work with a laptop all day and don't want to use that in the evening too.

Daveo, I still have iPad issues with crashing - I still cannot go back from the last page, even to the page before, without it crashing 9 times out of 10. I have reduced my use over the last few weeks, so when I go back to the last post I have readin a thread I sometimes want to skip say from page 4 to say page 8 of a 10 page thread, so I might only comment on something posted in the last 24 hours. Again, jumping pages throws me out.  Even, but only occasional, clicking the next page button does it.  All very frustrating.  Hope you will have fixes for this soon - with my eyesight and fat fingers using a phone is not an option, and I work with a laptop all day and don't want to use that in the evening too.

​Do you have multiple tabs open and apps open in the multi tasking tray?

Try closing all apps, clear website data for Safari and reboot the iPad. 

I will try all this again buddy, but I have been doing this regularly over the last week.  Other than BBC news and sport I don't use my iPad for much more than using the forum.  Still having to double tap too to post.  

Let's see how it goes tonight after I have tried all this again.

Archived