Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

What was Chisora saying? I like Chisora but he's a looney anyway.

Well he started saying and then lost his trail of thought like he usually does and then starts talking about something else!

They asked him about Doubois bodyshot! Then coming to poland! 

Derek was annoyed with doubois said him n frank told him to get rough, tie him up more n lean on him etc use his weight and he didnt!

32 minutes ago, De22Ram said:

Brick tops fuming 😆

He has huge self interest in it. Dubois winning would have been like winning the lottery for Frank.

All the heavyweight belts would be in Queensberry which would allow them to basically have a monopoly of title fights with Fury, Dubois and Joyce.

13 hours ago, De22Ram said:

Brick tops fuming 😆

Good. I wanted Usyk to win just to keep the belts away from Warren. Otherwise we'd have Fury v Dubois, Fury v Dubois II, Fury v Joyce, Fury v mandatory brown envelope guy. 

Be another 5 year before there's a heavyweight fight worthy of PPV if Dubois won

You want to try and get balanced views. But we live in a divided world. Anyone who is pro Queensberry anti match room is claiming cheating while the opposite is claiming low blow.

I’ve not gone through all but several boxers or former boxers like Charlie Edwards, Liam Smith and Carl Froch have come out and said it was low. Unintentionally illegal. 

Carl Frampton said it was a good shot but then again he is employed by Warren’s broadcasters. 

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

You want to try and get balanced views. But we live in a divided world. Anyone who is pro Queensberry anti match room is claiming cheating while the opposite is claiming low blow.

I’ve not gone through all but several boxers or former boxers like Charlie Edwards, Liam Smith and Carl Froch have come out and said it was low. Unintentionally illegal. 

Carl Frampton said it was a good shot but then again he is employed by Warren’s broadcasters. 

Bellew saying it was low. He's Eddie's mate isn't he?

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

37 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Bellew saying it was low. He's Eddie's mate isn't he?

Yeah, but he was also beaten by Usyk so probably doesn't like the idea of somebody not especially highly rated troubling Usyk. 

Maybe. Maybe he genuinely thinks it was low. 

The fact it's such debate in boxing probably show it was one of those decisions that could have gone either way. What is for sure is Dubois quit to a jab though. I don't think he's able to dig deep

Warren has no chance of getting it overturned. He is building everything on hypotheticals.

The referee ruled it low immediately. There are frame by frame angles which clearly show at least three of Dubois’ knuckles hit below the bottom of Usyk’s waist band, hitting the protector which would have rattled his cajones. It was a bladder shot, which is illegal - more so if the referee explained anything below the naval is illegal.

But the biggest one is there is no proof Usyk wouldn’t have beaten a count. He wasn’t unconscious. He stayed down as he had 5 minutes. Why wouldn’t he use that time to recover?

Urgh! With Dubois troubling Usyk, you'd have to think Fury would just lean on him the whole fight, were he to grow a pair and take it. I said a couple of years back that this is a poor division and then changed my mind. I'm reverting. Fury has fought nobody after Klitschko and has avoided the only two credible challengers, Usyk and Joshua. Usyk looks exposed after that bout and Joshua is limited in top tier terms and chinny in any terms. You know it's a shitshow when you're relying on Deontay WIlder to breathe back in some life.

3 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Urgh! With Dubois troubling Usyk, you'd have to think Fury would just lean on him the whole fight, were he to grow a pair and take it. I said a couple of years back that this is a poor division and then changed my mind. I'm reverting. Fury has fought nobody after Klitschko and has avoided the only two credible challengers, Usyk and Joshua. Usyk looks exposed after that bout and Joshua is limited in top tier terms and chinny in any terms. You know it's a shitshow when you're relying on Deontay WIlder to breathe back in some life.

DDD landed other body shots which didn’t seem to faze Usyk. I wouldn’t say he troubled him as such.

The heavyweight division is a bit of a farce though.

Wilder has this amazing reputation but he hasn’t actually beaten a top 10 fighter throughout his entire career. He hasn’t even fought somebody at the level of Joseph Parker, Dillian Whyte, Povetkin. Andy Ruiz has a better record than Wilder as at least he has a win on his record against a top 10 fighter in AJ.

Fury’s claim to being the best is beating Wilder (who may not even be a top 5 fighter until he beats somebody at that level), Dillian Whyte who probably struggles to make top 10 and an old Vlad who refused to throw a right hand all night.

Fury might be the best. But he has a poor resume too.

I really want to see AJ vs Wilder. I think it will answer some questions. Part of me feels Wilder is the most overrated heavyweight out there and is only being classed as a top contender to boost Fury’s reputation.

And on the flip side as much as I admire Usyk, his resume at heavyweight isn’t anything to write home about either if AJ loses convincingly to Wilder.

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

DDD landed other body shots which didn’t seem to faze Usyk. I wouldn’t say he troubled him as such.

The heavyweight division is a bit of a farce though.

Wilder has this amazing reputation but he hasn’t actually beaten a top 10 fighter throughout his entire career. He hasn’t even fought somebody at the level of Joseph Parker, Dillian Whyte, Povetkin. Andy Ruiz has a better record than Wilder as at least he has a win on his record against a top 10 fighter in AJ.

Fury’s claim to being the best is beating Wilder (who may not even be a top 5 fighter until he beats somebody at that level), Dillian Whyte who probably struggles to make top 10 and an old Vlad who refused to throw a right hand all night.

Fury might be the best. But he has a poor resume too.

I really want to see AJ vs Wilder. I think it will answer some questions. Part of me feels Wilder is the most overrated heavyweight out there and is only being classed as a top contender to boost Fury’s reputation.

And on the flip side as much as I admire Usyk, his resume at heavyweight isn’t anything to write home about either if AJ loses convincingly to Wilder.

For clarity, I really rate Usyk, but he's  a puffed up cruiserweight and the fact that he deals with bigger men confirms my thinking that in technical terms, he's the best of a bad lot. Fury has the skills too, but either spends fights leaning all over opponents or dodges them altogether.

Sadly, the fight game is dominated in terms of public interest by the heavyweight division, which is a shame as there are far better fighters out there in other divisions. What grates for me is that Fury could and probably would have beaten all of them, but would rather fight cage fighters for the cash than anyone who might possibly be dangerous. 

All a bit sweeping in some of those last two posts.

Usyk is anything but a puffed up cruiserweight, and if he is then no more than Holyfield, Moorer, Moore and others before him. Not only does he weigh more than Ali in his prime but he's actually heavier than Wilder at the moment. His technique is head and shoulders the best in the division.

Wilder bangs, he really bangs. To be fair though. Trevor Berbick had better footwork than him in the moments after Tyson hit him. aNd his record is certainly inflated with maybes but look at some of the people who have been in with him and the likes of AJ (Breazele for example) and you can't discount him.

AJ has quite simply over thought himself out of being a boxer. I wouldn't even have him at the level of Frank Bruno at the moment, he's not only stalled but gone seriously backwards since that Ruiz fight.

Fury is a bit of a Primo Carnera of our time, a physical anomaly but he can fight and is worthy of a place in top heavyweights, either British or recent time. He's not an all time great but he's better than many give him credit for. Sadly, his antics outside the ring (whether or not linked to his bipolar) have really tarnished his ability to claim anything lineal though.

The rest (Dubois, Whyte, Zhang) are just fillers. They are the Micheal Dokes, the Chuck Wepner, the Samuel Peter, the Oscar Bonavena, the Jack Boden of their time - good enough to get in the ring but never serious contenders for any belts.

It looked a few years like it was going to be the greatest of times to be a heavyweight fan but, as ever, the promoters and the broadcasters and the matchmakers have robbed us of any chance of that ever being the case.

7 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

On to other matters, I know I called Liam Smith to win the first fight against Eubank but I really don't see him wining the rematch and I'm a little surprised how wide the odds are on Jr. Might have a little flutter.

Hope so. But Jnr keeps trying different styles and looks a bit messy nowdays. 

Old Jnr with a bit of experience and listening to a good coach that suits him... I thought he was pretty good. 

8 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

It looked a few years like it was going to be the greatest of times to be a heavyweight fan but, as ever, the promoters and the broadcasters and the matchmakers have robbed us of any chance of that ever being the case.

This might be me being ignorant of boxing history, but surely if they made Fury vs Joshua immediately following Fury vs Wilder II, it would have smashed British boxing viewership records?

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

This might be me being ignorant of boxing history, but surely if they made Fury vs Joshua immediately following Fury vs Wilder II, it would have smashed British boxing viewership records?

And then Joshua vs Wilder and then Fury vs Joshua II and then brought Usyk into the picture. Yes, indeed. But that would have meant a bit of sense prevailed and that will never happen in the world of boxing. Basically, it all fell apart because one couldn't stand the thought that the other was getting more of the pie than them, rather than realising that they all would end up a whole lot wealthier at the start than they had been going into it all.

14 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

All a bit sweeping in some of those last two posts.

Usyk is anything but a puffed up cruiserweight, and if he is then no more than Holyfield, Moorer, Moore and others before him. Not only does he weigh more than Ali in his prime but he's actually heavier than Wilder at the moment. His technique is head and shoulders the best in the division.

Wilder bangs, he really bangs. To be fair though. Trevor Berbick had better footwork than him in the moments after Tyson hit him. aNd his record is certainly inflated with maybes but look at some of the people who have been in with him and the likes of AJ (Breazele for example) and you can't discount him.

AJ has quite simply over thought himself out of being a boxer. I wouldn't even have him at the level of Frank Bruno at the moment, he's not only stalled but gone seriously backwards since that Ruiz fight.

Fury is a bit of a Primo Carnera of our time, a physical anomaly but he can fight and is worthy of a place in top heavyweights, either British or recent time. He's not an all time great but he's better than many give him credit for. Sadly, his antics outside the ring (whether or not linked to his bipolar) have really tarnished his ability to claim anything lineal though.

The rest (Dubois, Whyte, Zhang) are just fillers. They are the Micheal Dokes, the Chuck Wepner, the Samuel Peter, the Oscar Bonavena, the Jack Boden of their time - good enough to get in the ring but never serious contenders for any belts.

So if other folks' posts are all a bit sweeping, what's all this then?

14 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

On to other matters, I know I called Liam Smith to win the first fight against Eubank but I really don't see him wining the rematch and I'm a little surprised how wide the odds are on Jr. Might have a little flutter.

Hang on. Didn't you end up saying you'd confused Smith's and that Eubank would win, or was that someone else? CBA to lpok back.

On 30/11/2022 at 12:37, BaaLocks said:

Yeah, I'm starting to think I might have gone a bit bold on this one. I also think I might have got him a bit confused with his brother Callum. Either that or, more probably, I just don't know what I'm on about.

Hmmmm 😋