Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

5 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Katie Taylor and Chantelle Cameron in a re-match which was somehow even better than the first fight. Wouldn't put anyone off having a watch. Proper toe to toe stuff from two lasses with heart and some skills to boot. Cameron a little too static for me. She marches head on and first time around she got to Taylor in the mid to late rounds. This time though, Taylor was throwing combos to keep Cameron on her heels, instead of the single shots she of the first fight and she was landing plenty. This was a different Katie Taylor I thought, though Cameron's team might think they missed an opportunity and I'm already looking forward to fight 3 of what is already looking like a classic trilogy. It's nailed on to happen and these lasses aren't fannying about over contract terms 😋

Katie Taylor has some balls (pun intended). What a fighter, and capable of taking herself to the point of utter exhaustion. A great war!

Only just saw the Taylor fight. 

Jesus, I'm not against women's boxing but there's something about brutal scraps like that where I feel a bit squeamish. Weird.  

But whatever they got paid it should be more. What a brawl

Taylor is great. Really likable, hard as nails and just great for boxing. 

Woke up at 4:30am slightly tipsy still and caught the end of the Benavidez fight. Looked a class above Andrade who I think Parker would've given a good fight had that gone ahead. Can see him giving Canelo a hard time although I think Canelo's quality will outdo Benavidez.

On 26/11/2023 at 19:48, Alpha said:

Only just saw the Taylor fight. 

Jesus, I'm not against women's boxing but there's something about brutal scraps like that where I feel a bit squeamish. Weird.  

But whatever they got paid it should be more. What a brawl

Taylor is great. Really likable, hard as nails and just great for boxing. 

Yep, These are some tough lasses! Made me wince at times to be honest, but then so did the first fight when Taylor in particular took a lot of hard shots. Sensibly she went a bit more mobile and fought her own fight this time around. I say 'a bit', as there was more than enough toe-to-toe all the same!

On 26/11/2023 at 20:40, Jubbs said:

Woke up at 4:30am slightly tipsy still and caught the end of the Benavidez fight. Looked a class above Andrade who I think Parker would've given a good fight had that gone ahead. Can see him giving Canelo a hard time although I think Canelo's quality will outdo Benavidez.

Only caught highlights and tbh, not seen a lot of Benavidez, but wow, that looked a wild old fight! He has some tools and looks a spiteful puncher, but he also looked reckless at times. Canelo has to be next you'd think, but like you, I'd have the Mexican winning that and IMO, pretty comfortably. The fight is apparently already agreed apparently.

Great fight this weekend. Haney v Prograis. 

I like Prograis a lot. Seems like a good bloke, and guarantee win or lose he'll give it everything. I know Haney is a class boxer but I don't know if he could out fight Prograis. 

Hope it turns into a street scrap. I think Prograis stands a good chance then

11 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Great fight this weekend. Haney v Prograis. 

I like Prograis a lot. Seems like a good bloke, and guarantee win or lose he'll give it everything. I know Haney is a class boxer but I don't know if he could out fight Prograis. 

Hope it turns into a street scrap. I think Prograis stands a good chance then

Would love to see Prograis quieten Haney down. Haney was beat fair and square by Loma last time out IMO, only for yet another corrupt judging panel to award him the win. Sadly, I think Haney will win this weekend. 

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Ok. So that was disappointing. Not even close

Not seen the fight, but will have a peep this evening. Not a fan of Haney at all, with all the stupid s*** he comes out with, but I did think he'd have too much for Prograis.

I want to see him fight Loma again. I still think the Ukrainian is the superior fighter.

7 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Not seen the fight, but will have a peep this evening. Not a fan of Haney at all, with all the stupid s*** he comes out with, but I did think he'd have too much for Prograis.

I want to see him fight Loma again. I still think the Ukrainian is the superior fighter.

There's nothing wrong with the fight if you're a neutral or Haney fan. Just Prograis didn't get into his rhythm. Didn't expect such a gulf in class. Prograis is tough. Wasn't even close though. 

3 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

Masternak quits on his stool at the end of the 7th with a rib injury I had him 5-2 up at the time. Fair play to Billam Smith he hung in there 

Only caught the highlights, but those were some hateful body shots from Billam-Smith. Masternak has apparently got broken ribs 😱

2 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Only caught the highlights, but those were some hateful body shots from Billam-Smith. Masternak has apparently got broken ribs 😱

Yeah, think all the damage was done in the 7th, 1 judge with some dodgy scoring again, 2 judges had it the same as me Masternak 3 rounds ahead while 1 had it level there was no way you could have it level, thankfully it didn’t matter and Billam-Smith got the job done 

On 26/11/2023 at 12:45, Comrade 86 said:

Katie Taylor and Chantelle Cameron in a re-match which was somehow even better than the first fight. Wouldn't put anyone off having a watch. Proper toe to toe stuff from two lasses with heart and some skills to boot. Cameron a little too static for me. She marches head on and first time around she got to Taylor in the mid to late rounds. This time though, Taylor was throwing combos to keep Cameron on her heels, instead of the single shots she of the first fight and she was landing plenty. This was a different Katie Taylor I thought, though Cameron's team might think they missed an opportunity and I'm already looking forward to fight 3 of what is already looking like a classic trilogy. It's nailed on to happen and these lasses aren't fannying about over contract terms 😋

Really can’t watch the women’s boxing , not anti but just can’t watch , something horrible about seeing a woman being hit and hurt even if it’s by another woman Even though I grew up in an area where women could and would have proper scraps🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

21 minutes ago, Archied said:

Really can’t watch the women’s boxing , not anti but just can’t watch , something horrible about seeing a woman being hit and hurt even if it’s by another woman Even though I grew up in an area where women could and would have proper scraps🤷🏻‍♂️

They're athletes mate and have been fighting that attitude for years. Bear in mind they are only fighting 2 minute rounds too.

I understand your point, but when you've put the work in, you're entitled to take your chance and these lasses are not your typical girls anyway, in exactly the same way as the blokes are far from normal chaps.

2 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

They're athletes mate and have been fighting that attitude for years. Bear in mind they are only fighting 2 minute rounds too.

I understand your point, but when you've put the work in, you're entitled to take your chance and these lasses are not your typical girls anyway, in exactly the same way as the blokes are far from normal chaps.

As I said , I’m not anti and I don’t for a minute decry the work and dedication they put in I just personally find it hard to watch , it’s not an attitude it just makes me want to look away ,, I get similar when I all too often see real mis matches served up in men’s boxing 🤷🏻‍♂️

One of the best cards in many years this weekend. Predictions anyone?

Joshua will flatten Wallin in mid to late rounds I think. Joshua looks like the hunger and spite is back after the last couple of years he's had. 

Wilder v Parker. Wilder should be the favourite as he's fit, fast and proven he has heart. He loses rounds all the time though and has been rocked by so many lesser fighters. But if he lands it's over. That could happen inside round 1. A decent chance of an upset but still pretty unlikely. 

Dubois v Miller. Miller is a big plodding donkey and if Dubois doesn't outpoint him then he should probably give up world title dreams. Miller is where he is because of his big mouth. I remember watching him against Dino(?) and he couldn't keep up with a part timer desperate to take a dive. The Lucas Browne fight was one of those really bad gypsie fights where two great orcs slog it out while 5 onlookers fall asleep. Part of me wants him to win so Joshua completely ends him. Absolute knob. 

Bivol v Arthur. Come on. We only here to watch Bivol. Arthur's win over Yarde seems like a bit of good timing now. He's a bit gun shy and won't win a round 

Opetaia v Zorro. Never seen Opetaia. Never seen Zorro but his biggest win is Hosea Burton? Meh. Opetaia beat Breidis who I have seen fight and I really thought he was good. So I'm guessing Opetaia routine win?

Hrgovic v De Mori. Again. We only here to see Hrgovic (who is overrated imo). De Mori is the guy that fought David Haye... I think in Haye's great channel 5 comeback days? And he couldn't wait to drop?