Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Great fight. A tired looking Yarde eventually tagged and his corner wave the towel. He's a brave lad and backed up Beterbiev as often as he took a backwards step himself, but Beterbiev's power is frightening. That said, he knows he was in a fight tonight and for my money, Bivol beats him hand down should they meet.

14 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Great fight. A tired looking Yarde eventually tagged and his corner wave the towel. He's a brave lad and backed up Beterbiev as often as he took a backwards step himself, but Beterbiev's power is frightening. That said, he knows he was in a fight tonight and for my money, Bivol beats him hand down should they meet.

Imagine if Yarde had built up to this fight properly instead of Frank's careful navigation. He's got heart and power. Digs in some nice shots to the body, quite elusive at times too. Maybe could have done even better? 

I'm with you, I think Bivol will dominate Beterbiev. I've not seen lots of either fighter. Maybe 3 Bivol and this is only the second time I've seen Beterbiev. The first was v Callum Johnson where he got dropped before winning by KO. He's target practice for Bivol, no?

34 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Imagine if Yarde had built up to this fight properly instead of Frank's careful navigation. He's got heart and power. Digs in some nice shots to the body, quite elusive at times too. Maybe could have done even better? 

I'm with you, I think Bivol will dominate Beterbiev. I've not seen lots of either fighter. Maybe 3 Bivol and this is only the second time I've seen Beterbiev. The first was v Callum Johnson where he got dropped before winning by KO. He's target practice for Bivol, no?

Yep, I was actually quite disappointed with Beterbiev, but in fairness, the guy is 38 and time waits for no man, least of all in the ring. I reckon Bivol will be all he can handle and more, but Beterbiev retains a puncher's chance I suppose. I know I say this about a lot of fighters, but Artur has nothing to prove anymore and I'd be seriously considering whether it's a fight worth taking. I'd make a terrible manager as I hate seeing fighters go too long and would always err on the side of one fight too early over one fight too many, but that said, Artur's Dagestani and those lads never walk away from a fight. If it does happen, I'll be grabbing some beers and popcorn for sure.

Edited by 86 Hair Islands
typos

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Thing with Bivol is, his power isn't up there. I don't think Beterbiev will respect his power and will just walk through his punches. I think it's one of the most 50/50 fights you'll see.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

Looking forward to Wood vs Lara at the weekend! Completely forgot to get tickets but should be a decent war, can only see a Lara win with those bricks for fists and Wood having been dropped by Conlan who's not a massive puncher.

Yeah I can't see past Lara. I know some lads who are going and have a spare ticket but they're more likely to end up fighting than see the fight. 

Morons 

3 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Looking forward to Wood vs Lara at the weekend! Completely forgot to get tickets but should be a decent war, can only see a Lara win with those bricks for fists and Wood having been dropped by Conlan who's not a massive puncher.

He's stopped nearly half those he's fought and was unbeaten going into the fight. Chavez knocked out Lara and you'd not say he's the biggest puncher either. By the same token. Sanchez had him stone cold too until Lara wrestled him to the ground and given time to recover thereafter, promptly knocked him out. Lara's chin isn't granite and while I can see why he's favoured, I'm not sure he's entitled to be as short as he is with the layers.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Yeah I can't see past Lara. I know some lads who are going and have a spare ticket but they're more likely to end up fighting than see the fight. 

Morons 

Not sure I can be arsed with actually going to fights anymore. Decent seats are pretty dear and most often, too many wannabes looking for trouble. Not worth the money or the hassle.

As for the fight, I'm struggling to call it to be honest. To me it's a fight that could go either way. If Wood is still to standing after 4 then I might be tempted to have a nibble. It's certainly an interesting one and I'll be sat with a beer in hand on the night, but at 4/11, I doubt I'll be wading in on the favourite.

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

As for the fight, I'm struggling to call it to be honest. To me it's a fight that could go either way. If Wood is still to standing after 4 then I might be tempted to have a nibble. It's certainly an interesting one and I'll be sat with a beer in hand on the night, but at 4/11, I doubt I'll be wading in on the favourite.

Carry On Mood GIF

On 16/02/2023 at 12:57, Alpha said:

Morons 

Yeah, good call on both counts. 

Don't think I'll go back to an arena event again.

To many Stone Island, CP company lads on substances last night that decended into a massive brawl about 4 rows behind me. 

A Wood Warrington fight would be chaos. 

Great win for Lara and a lovely TKO. I think it was a good stoppage too, I get people saying there was 12 seconds left before a minute break, but he was out on his feet wobbling all over the shop, Lara is dangerous so another punch would've meant lights out for Wood.

Wood was actually doing better than I thought he would, but apart from the body shot in the 5th (or 6th, can't remember) I don't think the punches were really hurting Lara that much but Wood was clearly being affected by Lara. Wood was boxing well on the outside and he needed to keep doing that and not getting involved in exchanges (think AJ vs Ruiz 2).

Warrington vs Wood would be a great fight, I think Wood edges it based on his power, Warrington is the better boxer but seems to have been found out his past few fights. Although if Warrington can get one of his trademark headbutts in...

On 19/02/2023 at 10:01, CWC1983 said:

Yeah, good call on both counts. 

Don't think I'll go back to an arena event again.

To many Stone Island, CP company lads on substances last night that decended into a massive brawl about 4 rows behind me. 

A Wood Warrington fight would be chaos. 

Good scrap though! Wood looked pretty good. Just felt like it was going to happen for Lara. It was a pretty close fight but Lara had an extra level of spite in his shots. 

Too many knobbers at boxing now. 

Even worse when it's a domestic fight. 

10 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Great win for Lara and a lovely TKO. I think it was a good stoppage too, I get people saying there was 12 seconds left before a minute break, but he was out on his feet wobbling all over the shop, Lara is dangerous so another punch would've meant lights out for Wood.

Wood was actually doing better than I thought he would, but apart from the body shot in the 5th (or 6th, can't remember) I don't think the punches were really hurting Lara that much but Wood was clearly being affected by Lara. Wood was boxing well on the outside and he needed to keep doing that and not getting involved in exchanges (think AJ vs Ruiz 2).

Warrington vs Wood would be a great fight, I think Wood edges it based on his power, Warrington is the better boxer but seems to have been found out his past few fights. Although if Warrington can get one of his trademark headbutts in...

I'd love to see Lara flatten Warrington. Can't stand the little space raider. Does Warrington really want to do it again though? 

Wood might need a bit of time after that. Took some punishment but gave a good account of himself didn't he?