Derby County v Charlton Athletic

AmericanRam

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good as Thorne was, indeed all starting eleven were good tonight, Hughes looked head and shoulders above anyone else in the 1st half, what a player that boy is becoming, dictating the pace and dominating the game at his age, if we can keep him beyond his full England debut I'd be delighted.

Hendrick looks so much better with Thorne behind him. 

He was getting into the same positions he has been all season, but now we have someone with not just the ability but the stones to zip a tight pass in to feet behind the opposition midfield - and by God did Jeff make them pay. 

93% pass completion, a goal and an assist. 

Got back to the car, switched on the radio, they were talking about storming into a 2-0 lead playing some fabulous football, then as the opposition tightened up just managing the game, professionally keeping the ball and seeing the match out.

Fair assessment I thought. Then it turned out they were talking about Barcelona. 

A message to the oldish bloke who sits in seat 441, 5 rows from the top, block H east stand lower, just because God has gifted you with the loudest voice I've ever heard doesn't mean he's gifted you the brains to match.

Your diatribes are occasionally funny when aimed at the referee, but not when they're aimed at a player who's just come on, telling the whole stand you hope he's being replaced by the next substitute, or at our defenders for not 'gerrin it forwards' at every opportunity.

If by some chance you're a member on here, highly unlikely I know given the need for opposable thumbs, I'm the nearest small bloke to you in glasses. 

Couldn't get tickets for the south stand so had to go in the east. When the south stand did the bounce I was up with the handful of east standers also joining in and probably looked a bit of a ****. I care not. Anyway, ratings.

Grant: 7 - Made 2 very good saves which was good to see after a couple of slightly questionable performances. Kicking was a little off though.

Christie: 6 - Another unconvincing performance. Will hopefully find his early season form soon.

Shotton: 7 - A couple of dodgy passes but looked very solid defensively. Would really like to see him pair up with Albentosa.

Keogh: 6 - Reasonable but had a whiff of liability. Chooses some very questionable forward passes often unnecessarily putting players under pressure.

Forsyth: 8 - Very good game. Looked as good as he did last season and great to see him playing with confidence again after the shaky start to the season.

Saint George: 11 - This is the only man who I would go homo for. It was almost like, no he actually was the centre of the universe when he was on the pitch. Composed and controlled, dominated that area of the pitch. Both goals started through him and his surging forward pass for the 2nd goal was sublime. Future captain.

Hughes: 7 - Another good game for our Aryan wonderkid. Nothing outstanding but some good passing and control as we often see from him.

Hendrick: 7 - Did well, and of course a goal too.

Lingard: 8 - Had a very good game, always looked dangerous on the ball. Excellent control and passing. Sure starter for Saturday.

Ince: 6 - Didn't really impose himself on the game much and the ball seemed to bounce off him a bit. Charlton seemed to have his card marked and shut him out well. Had a couple of good moments in the 2nd half.

Bent: 5 - Not really his fault but wasn't in the game much. That's how it goes sometimes.

--------------

Bryson: 6 - Worked hard when he came on but by then we were just seeing the game out.

Dawkins: 6 - Again worked hard but not a lot else going on.

Mascarell: 2 - From where I was sitting, every single pass by him was shocking. The whole team seemed to lack any sort of structure once he came on for Thorne. I'm not a Mascarell hater at all but in my opinion he had a real stinker.

Team: 7 - Fantastic to watch for most of the first half then we just calmed things down a bit and saw the game out. It was a bit disappointing as I thought we could have grabbed another goal or 2 if we upped the tempo slightly as Charlton really didn't offer anything. No real complaints though, we did what we needed to do and took 3 points with a clean sheet and no bookings (credit to Charlton for actually trying to play football and not kick us about).

A message to the oldish bloke who sits in seat 441, 5 rows from the top, block H east stand lower, just because God has gifted you with the loudest voice I've ever heard doesn't mean he's gifted you the brains to match.

Your diatribes are occasionally funny when aimed at the referee, but not when they're aimed at a player who's just come on, telling the whole stand you hope he's being replaced by the next substitute, or at our defenders for not 'gerrin it forwards' at every opportunity.

If by some chance you're a member on here, highly unlikely I know given the need for opposable thumbs, I'm the nearest small bloke to you in glasses. 

Sick of the Keogh bashing, goal bound shot saving block, somehow got his foot to a ball about to be headed goal wards from 6 yards out, some cracking passes out to the left second half, can't think of much he did wrong at all, yet he has a whiff of liability?

Only complaint is everytime Ince had the advantage he was given the ball too late. Christie might enjoy that constant extra touch but it didn't help Tom who whenever he had the ball he was marked.

It wasn't a game to suit the forwards because at 2-0 we didn't need to play risky football. We tried to pull them out and they didn't come out. So there was no need to take risks and start getting greedy. Certainly not in a 3 game week. 

Nah, almost faultless tonight. A little bit of "this game is over" mentality seemed to creep in before HT. But they came out again and finished the job very well

atmosphere was embarrassing. Terrible effort

If Thorne gets his pace back then just start the promotion party early. That midfield is back at full strength. The dictator, the magician and the bulldozer. 

As a Charlton fan I'd be disgusted. For playing like they're 2-0 up when 0-2 down. Including... Time wasting?!?!?

I was following the odds on bet365.

At 2-0 up around the 60 minute mark we were 1/125 to win the game. Those odds are just unreal and goes to show content with losing just 2-0 Charlton were.

When you consider at the same time Barcelona were only 1/33 to win and they looked utterly in control against City (I was watching them on the box and they really should have scored at least 4) then it makes it even more ridiculous.

Hopefully that second half performance will have us fresh for a potentially tricky game on Saturday.

That's the point, I don't sit close to him, he's just so loud that I hear everything he shouts, but my mere mortal voice doesn't seem to carry. Maybe I need lessons in assertiveness from Tony Soprano?

Archived