Assombalonga out for 12 months !!!

LesterRam

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I notice Dougie has already learnt how to talk sausage like a Forest manager - saying its a shame he got injured as he felt "he could have improved his game". But now he can't, so we won't know if he was that good a striker coach. Oh Dougie, just don't.

I don't see what's wrong with saying that if he saw something specific. That's what good coaches do. Mind you great coaches see them AND fix them.  No names though Mc cough cough cough Claren.  ;)

He'll be out for 2-3 years then if it's like Bark's knock, ouch

Barker had an unreal amount of complications, too. It was the rest of the season and next (it was done in March) so it was a bit different to Barkers. 

I'd put money on him not playing next season, though.  Knees are a terrible thing to injure - once they go they're never the same again.

When I did my ligaments, for the first time, I was given the standard 6 to 9 months post-op diagnosis. I had my surgery in February 2013 and did all the training and physio and got back to normal. I'd trained with a football and plucked up the courage (8 months post-op) to play for a five-a-side team that I knew was well below my level (and my level wasn't great, so it should tell you more about those I played with rather than myself). I went in goal for the first five minutes, then was rotated onto the pitch, I tried to take a backseat role but failed and as I went to zig-zag through two people my knee went again, no where near as bad this time as I was able to stand up almost immediately (before I was concreted to the floor and had to wait for an ambulance) but went and got checked out. I was initially told that my knee was fine but could have an MRI scan again, knowing myself that it was not 'fine', I took them up on their offer and low-and-behold my ACL reconstruction had snapped... I had my second surgery on it in December 2013 but still haven't played since then - I'm sure I could, but it isn't worth it for me. I can run okay, so it's enough.

Upon this journey, I was told by a nurse: 'before you injured your knee, it was like riding a bike with two handlebars. Before surgery (after I was initially injured) it was like riding a bike with no handle bars. After surgery, it's like riding a bike with one handle bar.' 

I should have asked for an update following my last surgery but never got round to it, unfortunately.

I imagine he's going to have problems and a lot of hard work to do in order to get back. As I said, I'd be amazing if he [Assombalonga] plays next season but I am a pessimist when it comes to knees. 

Barker had an unreal amount of complications, too. It was the rest of the season and next (it was done in March) so it was a bit different to Barkers. 

I'd put money on him not playing next season, though.  Knees are a terrible thing to injure - once they go they're never the same again.

When I did my ligaments, for the first time, I was given the standard 6 to 9 months post-op diagnosis. I had my surgery in February 2013 and did all the training and physio and got back to normal. I'd trained with a football and plucked up the courage (8 months post-op) to play for a five-a-side team that I knew was well below my level (and my level wasn't great, so it should tell you more about those I played with rather than myself). I went in goal for the first five minutes, then was rotated onto the pitch, I tried to take a backseat role but failed and as I went to zig-zag through two people my knee went again, no where near as bad this time as I was able to stand up almost immediately (before I was concreted to the floor and had to wait for an ambulance) but went and got checked out. I was initially told that my knee was fine but could have an MRI scan again, knowing myself that it was not 'fine', I took them up on their offer and low-and-behold my ACL reconstruction had snapped... I had my second surgery on it in December 2013 but still haven't played since then - I'm sure I could, but it isn't worth it for me. I can run okay, so it's enough.

Upon this journey, I was told by a nurse: 'before you injured your knee, it was like riding a bike with two handlebars. Before surgery (after I was initially injured) it was like riding a bike with no handle bars. After surgery, it's like riding a bike with one handle bar.' 

I should have asked for an update following my last surgery but never got round to it, unfortunately.

I imagine he's going to have problems and a lot of hard work to do in order to get back. As I said, I'd be amazing if he [Assombalonga] plays next season but I am a pessimist when it comes to knees.

Sympathies mate.

Did mine in 1993 playing 5 a side. Never played again as I went through physio too soon and the new ACL developed a tendency to hyper-extend.

Then the new one snapped skiing in 2001.

Now I don't do anything except straight lines (cycling machines, running machines) and fairly slowly.

Archived